Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Is there anyone here pissed that they are turning The Hobbit into 3 MOVIES???

I absolutely hate going to the movies to see a story so unfinished as this one will be (Dec release). I might just wait for all of them to be out on DVD before I watch them. Bah@#$!!

...Spoiler if there is by chance anyone not familiar with the story...
Where will they split it? My guesses:

Movie 1 stops at Beorn's Farm or largish spiders afterwards.
Movie 2 stops somewhere in the vicinity of Elves or Laketown.
Movie 3 finishes with the dragon in the Lonely Mountain.

What complicates it is that there is supposedly tons of filler material being added and characters familiar to us from the LOTR trilogy, but not originally in this LOTR prequel.

Didn't know that it's going to be a trilogy. Missed opportunity, I'm not that much into the LotR movies - although I read the book twice I think - but yeah, supposedly lots of filler material - sad. I always preferred the hobbit over LotR. And your assumption sounds legit too: first movie is going to be rather light and earthly. More like greenish/brown/blue, while the second is getting rough, darker colours with some misty black/white scenes and the last one will be an exceptional experience in fierce blood-red/orange. Mark my words. ;)

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Tonight I watched Lethal Weapon 3 :)

Have all of them on DVD, but it's so much more convenient to just rent them from iTunes!

Oh, and big ole' plate full of nachos ;)

AWESOME NACHOS! :D

attachment.php

Want some salsa with that?

ragu-old-world-style-38196.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is there anyone here pissed that they are turning The Hobbit into 3 MOVIES???

I absolutely hate going to the movies to see a story so unfinished as this one will be (Dec release). I might just wait for all of them to be out on DVD before I watch them. Bah@#$!!

...Spoiler if there is by chance anyone not familiar with the story...
Where will they split it? My guesses:

Movie 1 stops at Beorn's Farm or largish spiders afterwards.
Movie 2 stops somewhere in the vicinity of Elves or Laketown.
Movie 3 finishes with the dragon in the Lonely Mountain.

What complicates it is that there is supposedly tons of filler material being added and characters familiar to us from the LOTR trilogy, but not originally in this LOTR prequel.

Not sure that there is enough in The Hobbit to merit three movies; I think they may well end up padding it out somewhat.

I don't think I've seen a Denzel movie I have not liked. :)

Yes, I rather like Denzel, also. And I agree with you, I can't remember not liking him. (Much the same for whenever I've seen Morgan Freeman, too).

Didn't know that it's going to be a trilogy. Missed opportunity, I'm not that much into the LotR movies - although I read the book twice I think - but yeah, supposedly lots of filler material - sad. I always preferred the hobbit over LotR. And your assumption sounds legit too: first movie is going to be rather light and earthly. More like greenish/brown/blue, while the second is getting rough, darker colours with some misty black/white scenes and the last one will be an exceptional experience in fierce blood-red/orange. Mark my words. ;)

I'm another of those who much prefers The Hobbit to The Lord Of The Rings; and, heresy (I've already posted this in the 'books' thread), I much, much prefer Bilbo as a hero to Frodo (for whom I had no liking, in fact, he was someone whom I couldn't stand; granted, Pippin and Merry were lovely, but I really loathed Samwise and his servile relationship with Frodo; and, as for, Gandalf, well, who wouldn't want to come back as Gandalf?)

I honestly think that one quite long classy movie would do for The Hobbit; but, as is so often the case, box-office returns will proceed to prove me quite, quite, wrong.......

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I honestly think that one quite long classy movie would do for The Hobbit; but, as is so often the case, box-office returns will proceed to prove me quite, quite, wrong.......

Yeah, they claim it is for artistic fulfillment, but we all know it's just to get two/three tickets out of you...

I think I mentioned this before, but regarding Honor Harrington, after the Sept 2012 movie deal was announced, I'm both excited and fearful. I know what has been done to some good stories. For example "The Dark is Rising". The movie was terrible and a flop. A lot depends on how much the much authority over the screen play the author is able to secure. From a story purity standpoint, things like True Blood and the Walking Dead get trashed, although the atmosphere, and overall framework in WD has mostly been maintained. For all I know the first HH movie will be mearly based on, which will disappoint me severely. Fingers crossed it (my fear) does not come to be of course it will probably be years before anything appears.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm another of those who much prefers The Hobbit to The Lord Of The Rings; and, heresy (I've already posted this in the 'books' thread), I much prefer Bilbo as a hero to Frodo (for whom I had no liking, in fact, he was someone who I couldn't stand; granted, Pippin and Merry were lovely, but I loathed Samwise and his servile relationship with Frodo; and, as for, Gandalf, well, who wouldn't want to come back as Gandalf?)

Yes, I agree. And your point about Frodo/Sam is quite true, although, when I read it being 14/15 years old, I was completely sucked into that universe and less analytical about it. Well, we'll see (or not, haven't even seen the last one).
Btw. love the expression padding it out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you - but seriously, I cannot conceive how The Hobbit could be stretched (padded out) to three movies. A good story teller should be able to do it in two and a half to three hours.

The Hobbit remains engaging, but TLOTR - the books, that is, (the movies, surprisingly, were actually very good) was very uneven, to my mind. Good points were the fantastic scenes - all of them, from "Speak Friend and Enter" to the shattering conclusion (the book raced at that point) in the Mines of Moria; anything to do with Gandalf; the Ents; that scene where Aragorn persuaded, or shamed, the Dead warriors, who were raised to fight again given that they had declined, or signally failed to do so when living; Wormtongue (the very begetter of dozens of duplicitous counsellors); the Nine Riders; Saruman; the young hobbits, Merry and Pippin; and remind me, did I mention the Ents? The Ents were fantastic. I loved them.

Awful bits: well, firstly Frodo - couldn't stand him, and of course, Samwise, and his horribly servile relationship with Frodo; this is a core problem, because one is supposed to identify and sympathise with the hero, and I really didn't like Frodo, (but had really enjoyed and liked Bilbo); with the exception of Galadriel, and one or two others, Tolkein's portrayal of women was dismal, awful, in fact, to put it mildly; the pace of the books really lagged in part; and, here, I'll throw it out, while Saruman was a satisfying villain, I like my evil to be more logical, and a bit more tangible, not to say, articulate. An evil which is assumed rather than articulate is not one that unnerves, or is explicable. JK Rowling did rather better with Voldemort, and gave him a great back-story, to boot.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I don't think I'm going to watch them. I can understand why lots of people like the Lord of the Rings movies though. I was quite surprised what kind of scenes they left out in the first movie (which I nevertheless enjoyed).
Do you remember the scene, quite at the beginning of the first book, when the whole gang visits a remote farm, seriously worried about the farmer, since they were stealing stuff from his fields before? Shortly before crossing the first river. It came across quite real and as a youngster, I could relate to this 'naive' fear while it gave great relief to all the really fearful stuff that came later on.
Or when they were sleeping under this big ol' tree which happens to eat them alive! Afterwards the surreal scene at Tom and his wife's house. I read those scenes alone up to five times. But yes, they were quite uneven, I recall that.

Of course the movies have a right on their own, it's just that I'm not so much into this pathetic epic battle thing anymore. And that's where a 'classy' Hobbit installment could have excelled. Well, not this time as it seems. LotR was too big a success.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't think I'm going to watch them. I can understand why lots of people like the Lord of the Rings movies though. I was quite surprised what kind of scenes they left out in the first movie (which I nevertheless enjoyed).
Do you remember the scene, quite at the beginning of the first book, when the whole gang visits a remote farm, seriously worried about the farmer, since they were stealing stuff from his fields before? Shortly before crossing the first river. It came across quite real and as a youngster, I could relate to this 'naive' fear while it gave great relief to all the really fearful stuff that came later on.
Or when they were sleeping under this big ol' tree which happens to eat them alive! Afterwards the surreal scene at Tom and his wife's house. I read those scenes alone up to five times. But yes, they were quite uneven, I recall that.

Of course the movies have a right on their own, it's just that I'm not so much into this pathetic epic battle thing anymore. And that's where a 'classy' Hobbit installment could have excelled. Well, not this time as it seems. LotR was too big a success.

Yes, I liked those early scenes, too, and agree that they served a sort of contrast with the genuine horrors later on in the book, and also served as a sort of striking contrast with the surprisingly downbeat, and bittersweet, (for which reason, I rather liked it) section at the end, 'The Scouring of the Shire', which opted for the integrity of life (and, possibly true art) rather than a more saccharine - and easy - ending.

However, I agree, Tom Bombadil was charming, but blithely otherworldly.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I definitely enjoyed the LOTR trilogy movies and I will definitely watch the Hobbit. Peter Jackson has a fantastic way of submerging the viewer in a fantasy world. I never read the books previous to watching, but the movies were so good I did buy a copy to read afterwards.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
revisited Octopussy - not a good idea. What a boring camp fest....must be one of the worst of the series.

One of the highlights: Bond giving his fellow Indian agent a handful of banknotes: "That'll keep you in curry for a week." Well, must be one of the worst lines ever by 007.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
revisited Octopussy - not a good idea. What a boring camp fest....must be one of the worst of the series.

One of the highlights: Bond giving his fellow Indian agent a handful of banknotes: "That'll keep you in curry for a week." Well, must be one of the worst lines ever by 007.

Although Bond is generally looked upon favourably (I blame nostalgia...), the sad truth is that most of the films are just ****.

Out of all 23 or so movies, only about 5-6 are actually any good.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I watched "The Avengers" today. I haven't seen most of the Hulk movies, but I saw "Thor" and "Iron Man" and "Iron Man II". It's not great cinema, but man, those are fun movies. I love how Stan Lee always has cameos saying something ridiculous about super heroes.

I let my boys see the original "Spiderman", but they really weren't that into it until the end, and then had endless questions.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Porco Rosso

Genuine Anime from '92. It's about a pig amongst humans named Porco Rosso, a professional pilot, who faces fascist Europe at the brink of WWII. Great narrative and visually stunning, as usual with Miyazaki movies. The topics are fairly serious too, e.g. female emancipation during wartime. I'd say entertainment at it's best and highly recommended. A must-see.

Attachments

• porco_rosso.jpg
    porco_rosso.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 55

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I watched "The Avengers" today. I haven't seen most of the Hulk movies, but I saw "Thor" and "Iron Man" and "Iron Man II". It's not great cinema, but man, those are fun movies. I love how Stan Lee always has cameos saying something ridiculous about super heroes.

Where did he appear in the movie?

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I wasn't expecting much but it took me by surprise I really liked it.

Attachments

• end-of-watch_2012-en-1-648x1000_big-preview.jpg
    end-of-watch_2012-en-1-648x1000_big-preview.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 54

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
Planning to watch Green Street 2 tonight as Green Street was amazing. Also picked up the Fugitive and Hannibal Rising on Blu-Ray. Also picked up the Sharpe's box set from Sainsburys staring Sean Bean.

On another note..

Not a movie but i just started watching Gavin and Stacey from the beginning along with the US Office. (After a just watched Secret Diary of a *********, Sharpe's Rifles and Prison Break)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The family watched "Brave" on Sunday. I don't know that we'll add it to the our collection, but it was fun to watch. I was laughing out loud, and getting stared at. Good thing it was at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.