Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Again like I said earlier, It's obvious that Jony Ive is in the courtroom every day preparing legal documents and court evidence... not making products. :/

Come on people, Apple employes thousands of people, the legal team is just some people working in a completely separate environment from the product guys.

You can see from a different angle: If Apple were successful with all their litigations they can rest in peace on their patents and never have to come up with any new idea. As they did since the iPhone 4.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good god this is getting ridiculous. Both companies need to grow the %#^! up and end this nonsense now. :rolleyes:

Oh and MR needs some kind of "back page" where these legal stories can be posted. They're so silly now they're not even worth commenting on.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
There comes a point where suing becomes easier than innovation. Clearly, Apple thinks they have reached that point. Take the last, oh I don't know... 3 years? Add up the lawsuits and compare that with the number of innovative products coming out of Cupertino in the same time period.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There comes a point where suing becomes easier than innovation. Clearly, Apple thinks they have reached that point. Take the last, oh I don't know... 3 years? Add up the lawsuits and compare that with the number of innovative products coming out of Cupertino in the same time period.

Apple's not the only guilty party here, no matter how much Samsung wants to play the victim. They added the iPhone 5, 4th gen iPad and iPad mini to this lawsuit. And I believe some of what they claim Apple is infringing on are FRAND patents which would be covered between Qualcomm and Samsung, no? How can Apple be infringing if its Qualcomm technology and Qualcomm is paying royalties to Samsung?

Apple Poptart

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Houston, TX
Well, according to Demolition Man, Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars in 2032. Who will win the Patent Wars of the 2010's?

I submit that, in 20 years, we will all be driving hovering iMobiles eating Chalupas. :cool:

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
At this point both companies are being selfish and stupid. I understand that indeed patents may have been violated on both sides. But this continuous bickering and distancing from one another is going to (and has already to a degree) hurt both parties. Perhaps in the long run, Samsung has more to lose, but they're both losing now.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Macrumors post these stories because there are still enough people who care and want to argue the same old whose wrong whose right lines.

The fact that Apple have been making settlements is an encouraging sign. Of course we all know that Samsung (who have clearly copied and a blind man can see that - including products, ads, packaging, plugs etc and really it's the ultimate compliment) ... We all know the Samsung guy came out and said they would not settle they intend to fight and fight and fight.

So I guess Macrumors will post these items and those that aren't tired will still fight for Apple or Samsung or against either or against both....

I've kind of heard it all before. So I'm more in the who cares dept.

zzzZZZZZZ

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Apple's not the only guilty party here, no matter how much Samsung wants to play the victim. They added the iPhone 5, 4th gen iPad and iPad mini to this lawsuit. And I believe some of what they claim Apple is infringing on are FRAND patents which would be covered between Qualcomm and Samsung, no? How can Apple be infringing if its Qualcomm technology and Qualcomm is paying royalties to Samsung?

Yes, Apple is. Samsung is simply going on the offensive now and it's directly due to Apple actions. It's like the bully that keeps picking on someone day in and day out. The other guy tries to turn the other cheek but the bully keeps coming. Eventually the other guy's going to snap.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Patent for rounded rectangles is absurd. I understand Apple's obsession with it since their GUI days with the early mac's but that was again inspired by the windows and furnitures in their office.

So I guess the furniture makers of those days have to file a lawsuit against Apple to begin with.

Well they have lot of cash to burn. Might as well file these endless lawsuits just to scare the other players away.

Windows Phone has a great future if these lawsuits keep piling up.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Patent for rounded rectangles is absurd. I understand Apple's obsession with it since their GUI days with the early mac's but that was again inspired by the windows and furnitures in their office.

So I guess the furniture makers of those days have to file a lawsuit against Apple to begin with.

Well they have lot of cash to burn. Might as well file these endless lawsuits just to scare the other players away.

Windows Phone has a great future if these lawsuits keep piling up.

They should burn that cash by funding some R&D into better battery chemistry.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Just because Macrumors chooses to publicise these lawsuits very often it doesn't mean Apple is in the wrong... lol

Apple have lawyers for a reason, not just decoration..
Apple make products for their own fame not others..

you can see how these things start to make sense right?

stop WHINING!

----------

Apple could win all of the lawsuits and it still won't convince me to use a gimped mobile device like an iPhone.

Gimped? It does what it is supposed to do, how is that Gimped? Do you need your mobile phone to be able to make a sandwich for you? I would prefer the iPhone looks over the Sandwich Maker SIV

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Just because Macrumors chooses to publicise these lawsuits very often it doesn't mean Apple is in the wrong... lol

Apple have lawyers for a reason, not just decoration..
Apple make products for their own fame not others..

you can see how these things start to make sense right?

stop WHINING!

----------

Gimped? It does what it is supposed to do, how is that Gimped? Do you need your mobile phone to be able to make a sandwich for you? I would prefer the iPhone looks over the Sandwich Maker SIV

I don't see how anything you said makes sense in the context of this thread tbh

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Stop Apple, just stop... give me a better UI experience! Focus on innovation, not litigation.

heh heh, the lawsuit has nothing to do with users like us. It is a way to divide the profit from all the mobile computing. Whoever own more of the IP will get more of the spoils. Microsoft is already shaped up to be the big winner even thought they have not done much on mobile deivce (and Surface and Window 8 looks to be a non-event in the mobile world right now). There are quite a few Android vendors signed cross licensing agreement with Microsoft and pay anywhere between $5 to $15 a handset for Microsoft IP right. Apple and Samsung is just trying to follow Microsoft footstep and try to decide who own what right. So get off the high horse about UI. If the UI is so bad why is so many people are buying Iphone, Ipad, Itouch etc. Changing UI just because it is around for a while is a bad idea. Just look at Window 8, it piss off so many users familiar with Window 7 that it looks to have a tough road to get user to accept the new UI.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I wish they could just come to an agreement and start focusing on making products

What makes you think they aren't focusing on new products? Apple's product team etc. etc. and legal department are two different things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.