Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something or possibly it's already being discussed (but didn't find it) but how does ios6 maps display traffic during turn by turn???

As far as I can tell, it doesn't. In overview mode, it shows red dashes, but during turn by turn, they disappear. Why is that? Is there an option to always show traffic?

Also road blocks, accidents, etc are shown in overview but not during turn by turn. Weird!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not sure if they do it for safety reasons...especially since many other apps do show it.

I mean, you can simply switch to overview mode to see it...and even still utilize the turn by turn function in that mode.

I've been using Waze for daily commuting for this reason, but it is distracting....

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something or possibly it's already being discussed (but didn't find it) but how does ios6 maps display traffic during turn by turn???

As far as I can tell, it doesn't. In overview mode, it shows red dashes, but during turn by turn, they disappear. Why is that? Is there an option to always show traffic?

Also road blocks, accidents, etc are shown in overview but not during turn by turn. Weird!

If there is traffic, it will reroute you. It doesn't show it during navigation.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I think a lot of people underestimate the added time involved in taking alternate routes.

For example, in Waze it even has an average speed figured for traffic areas. If the time it would take to go the next fastest alternate route is calculated to take longer than going through the heavy traffic, it's not going to reroute you.

I've had Waze reroute me but only when the traffic was exceedingly bad.

My guess is that people feel like alternate routes are faster because they are moving but in reality, it probably adds more time on your commute than you think.

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Waze can be distracting if you don't go to the "Show on map" setting on Display settings and remove the things that you don't really need to see (like other wazers).

Not sure if they do it for safety reasons...especially since many other apps do show it.

I mean, you can simply switch to overview mode to see it...and even still utilize the turn by turn function in that mode.

I've been using Waze for daily commuting for this reason, but it is distracting....

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic last week traveling to Atlanta. It did not reroute me. Instead I had to manually look for back roads around the highway to avoid mess.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I don’t think the argument that it’s distracting to show traffic info while driving is valid. I prefer it is shown, along with traffic info, accidents, road works, … so I’m informed, can make better decisions and most of all I’m ready to hit the break.

If traffic info is shown, and a day/night modus is added, I find Apple Maps to be a very nice alternative. I love the minimalistic view and the way street names are displayed. Very clean.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic last week traveling to Atlanta. It did not reroute me. Instead I had to manually look for back roads around the highway to avoid mess.

Same here yesterday. Siri routed me into stop and go traffic, wouldn't reroute me, and no matter how I asked to be reroute due to traffic she would only display the overhead view of the traffic.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
It rerouted me around a nasty highway traffic jam and, smartly, took me on the parallel road next to the highway. I know this was a reroute because I often take that same route and it always routes me on the highway.

Other times where I went against Siri's advice, I got stuck in traffic also. I'm slowly learning to trust it, but it would be nice to get a better sense of how aggressive it is. I would LOVE an option to avoid traffic even if it takes longer. I really hate standing still. I will take a longer route if it means not standing in bumper to bumper.

Waze did also reroute me once (and only once) and saved me an hour of traffic. Someone should really do a side-by-side comparison of all the traffic reroute capabilities of waze, apple, google, etc. Only way of doing it is by driving into traffic with all of them on at the same time.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Waze did also reroute me once (and only once) and saved me an hour of traffic. Someone should really do a side-by-side comparison of all the traffic reroute capabilities of waze, apple, google, etc. Only way of doing it is by driving into traffic with all of them on at the same time.

Apple licenses the traffic data from Waze so (in theory) the results should be the same but, considering the differences in POI between Apple Maps and Yelp or Tom Tom, I doubt that's the case.

... and that's ignoring Waze's ability to alert you of traffic, various hazards and incidents up ahead whereas Apple's doesn't even let you see traffic from the Navigation screen.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

You could always just drive a different general direction, and have Siri reroute you anyway. Who knows, it might reroute you around that traffic.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
I was definitely rerouted around traffic the other day. Unfortunately, I ignored the directions thinking the iPhone was sending me the long way for some reason. I ended up in a massive traffic jam due to an accident.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I don’t think the argument that it’s distracting to show traffic info while driving is valid. I prefer it is shown, along with traffic info, accidents, road works, … so I’m informed, can make better decisions and most of all I’m ready to hit the break.

I agree...I was referring more to all of the "interaction" with Waze to actually make it so good.

Pluses on the Waze side I would love to see on Apple's Maps:

*Automatically ask if I'm going to work/home when I turn it on from either location...pretty smart and something I would have never thought would be as useful as it is.

*Warn if there is currently traffic on the route

*Day/Night Mode

*Show traffic on nav screen...not just overview

I love the simplicity and speed of the nav on maps as well..just a few more things would make it much more useful/better for me.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Apple licenses the traffic data from Waze so (in theory) the results should be the same but, considering the differences in POI between Apple Maps and Yelp or Tom Tom, I doubt that's the case.

... and that's ignoring Waze's ability to alert you of traffic, various hazards and incidents up ahead whereas Apple's doesn't even let you see traffic from the Navigation screen.

I used Waze a lot before iOS 6, and contributed to its maps quite a bit (their maps are terrible). The biggest problem I had with Waze was the number of false positives on police, traffic, accidents, etc. It is nice to get warning from drivers up ahead, but in my experience, 80% of the time the problem was no longer there. This was especially true of police. I guess people were reporting police driving on roads, instead of speed traps, etc. Great idea, but I started to not believe it after a while.

Actually, an even bigger problem was safety. I found myself trying to report things as I was driving. It's as dangerous as texting. I had to give it up because of that. It actually sold me on Apple's apparent decision to make its maps a "headless" system (as opposed to a more HUD type system that all other vendors have).

I now keep my eyes on the road, not on my phone (unless I want a quick glance at the turn or the distance). I'm not looking at the screen to decipher traffic colors on a route, my current speed, or POIs, etc.

I can't overstate how nice it is. If my kids were old enough to drive, I would not give them anything other than an iPhone (if anything at all). I would probably get a car with the upcoming eyes-free system.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
That's probably why it explicitly tells you NOT to do that.

Hmmm....but when you want to report a problem, you need to press the button at the spot where the problem happens to record the location. You may be asked to fill in details later, but you still need to fudge about with sliders, selections, options, etc for each report.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I agree...I was referring more to all of the "interaction" with Waze to actually make it so good.

Pluses on the Waze side I would love to see on Apple's Maps:

*Automatically ask if I'm going to work/home when I turn it on from either location...pretty smart and something I would have never thought would be as useful as it is.

*Warn if there is currently traffic on the route

*Day/Night Mode

*Show traffic on nav screen...not just overview

I love the simplicity and speed of the nav on maps as well..just a few more things would make it much more useful/better for me.

I love all those ideas and would like to see them soon. Hopefully before iOS 7.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Hmmm....but when you want to report a problem, you need to press the button at the spot where the problem happens to record the location. You may be asked to fill in details later, but you still need to fudge about with sliders, selections, options, etc for each report.

...or, let someone with a passenger in their car do it - as it says.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I posted this in another thread. I specific used the Tom Tom App because it reroutes me in bad traffic and will have me car accidents etc. I have yet to see Apple Maps do any of the sort or do it on the fly while driving. The Tom Tom will even pop up and tell me select this route it will save you 15 minutes etc.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
...or, let someone with a passenger in their car do it - as it says.

....or, stop relying on its bad information, bad maps, distracting UI and use a better solution with more users and data.

:rolleyes:

Waze was a huge distraction for myself and the passenger. If you trust it, then it should just tell you where to go (like iOS maps does now). If you don't, and you need to keep an eye on all things happening around you through the virtual world, then it is dangerous.

Only thing I really miss from Waze was the speed camera announcements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.