Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I have a 3rd generation iPad and I am trying to use it as a second display to my laptops. My idea is to expand the work area and to benefit from the retina resolution of the iPad to have several programs opened at once.

However, I tried Air Display (which is said to be faster than iDisplay or other alternatives), but it is painfully slow on both laptops.

I have a 13-inch white MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, Intel GMA X3100 video card) and a 15-inch Sager (Core i7-2720QM, NVIDIA GT 540M / Intel HD 3000). My wi-fi router is a TP-Link 450Mbps Dual-Band Wireless N Gigabit Router TL-WR2543ND.

How is your experience with these apps? Am I doing something wrong? Are the video cards in my laptops unable to handle the retina resolution of the iPad (even the NVIDIA GT 540M)? Or are these programs slow anyway, and I just won't be able to use them no matter what?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tried AirDisplay when it first came out, and I remember that playing video on the iPad screen was choppy. I don't remember other applications, like keeping a browser window open on the iPad screen, for example, being particularly slow. This was an iPad 2, though. I never did use AirDisplay much, because I found managing two displays not very efficient. Every time I switched on AirDisplay, I would have to drag the windows over to my iPad screen and arrange them all over again.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I tried AirDisplay when it first came out, and I remember that playing video on the iPad screen was choppy. I don't remember other applications, like keeping a browser window open on the iPad screen, for example, being particularly slow. This was an iPad 2, though. I never did use AirDisplay much, because I found managing two displays not very efficient. Every time I switched on AirDisplay, I would have to drag the windows over to my iPad screen and arrange them all over again.

Well, Air Display is being very slow for any task. Even to drag windows around...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.