Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I'm looking at getting a desktop soon, and have been waiting for a new iMac for a while (although not as long as some). Anyway, I've got a 2009 13 MBP at the moment, and with its 4GB RAM, HDD, and 2.53 C2D I'm finding it almost impossible to manage my photos in iPhoto. What I'm looking for is a desktop that will seamlessly edit photos in Elements, but I don't need it to do much more. I'll probably have 3 accounts on it, and several windows open in each.

So my current conundrum is that I was planning on the base 27" iMac, with fusion drive. So that would be 2.9 quad i5, 8GB RAM, and 1TB fusion. But as that is a lot of money, I've been considering the Mac Mini. Either the 2.3 or 2.6 quad i7, 8GB Ram (maybe upgraded myself), and 1TB fusion. I'd then stick one of these on it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-247...43UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353838880&sr=8-1.

My questions is that for what will be about £400 - £500 more for the iMac, would I notice that much of a difference in performance or longevity? I'm planning to try the iMac first so no rush, just curious. I also don't like the 21" iMac, my mum has one and it feels a tad too small to me.

Cheers,
Ashley

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
That iMac you described would be the perfect computer. However, if your only using it for iPhoto a mac mini will do fine. Just make sure you at least get a fusion drive or Install an ssd yourself.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I'm looking at getting a desktop soon, and have been waiting for a new iMac for a while (although not as long as some). Anyway, I've got a 2009 13 MBP at the moment, and with its 4GB RAM, HDD, and 2.53 C2D I'm finding it almost impossible to manage my photos in iPhoto. What I'm looking for is a desktop that will seamlessly edit photos in Elements, but I don't need it to do much more. I'll probably have 3 accounts on it, and several windows open in each.

So my current conundrum is that I was planning on the base 27" iMac, with fusion drive. So that would be 2.9 quad i5, 8GB RAM, and 1TB fusion. But as that is a lot of money, I've been considering the Mac Mini. Either the 2.3 or 2.6 quad i7, 8GB Ram (maybe upgraded myself), and 1TB fusion. I'd then stick one of these on it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-247...43UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353838880&sr=8-1.

My questions is that for what will be about £400 - £500 more for the iMac, would I notice that much of a difference in performance or longevity? I'm planning to try the iMac first so no rush, just curious. I also don't like the 21" iMac, my mum has one and it feels a tad too small to me.

Cheers,
Ashley

Even just the quality of the screen itself would be worth the step up to the iMac. Unfortunately there is not much to say about the longevity of the new iMac as no one owns one yet. But the older ones have a great track record for longevity.

I think the biggest jump in performance you will notice the most is the fusion drive. It will be really nice for photo editing. I would recommend the iMac. I've been thinking about the mini too though but I'm going to wait for the iMac.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
The fusion drive is a given, and I'm waiting til the 21" is out so I can have a go. I'll probably still go with the iMac, as it is a monster. will the 2.9 quad i5 be any different to the 2.3 or 2.6 quad i7?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
If it's just a few adjustments in iPhoto and Photoshop Elements (That's what you mean by Elements right?) I think the Mac mini you described would be perfect.

Get:
  • 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 4GB RAM (Not 8GB, Upgrade it yourself for less - It doesn't void warranty)
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • Monitor of your choice (Or even two monitors!)

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Even the 2011 top of the line imac geekbench test could not beat the 2.6gz 2012 mini...i believe the mini will be fine, just read up on the HDMI issues. I really don't think the 2012 imacs will "crush" the mini and would not be a "big step up", in fact it may not even match the mini, other than the video card performance.

Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 8.30.01 AM.png

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Well, for £400-£500 more in the iMac, you also get a great 27 inch display, so keep that in mind. Do you already have a display to use for the mini?

I might consider that when weighing in from a cost perspective.

Performance wise, either would be fine, though.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I've got to buy a monitor, but I put that in with the cost. I might go with the Philips monitor until the new thunderbolt display, and then save for one of those. decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.