Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
A friend and I were putting an SSD into a new late 2012 Mac Mini and in spite of being careful broke off the fan connector. He wired the fan directly to a USB cable so the fan now spins 100% of the time. And the Mini of course can no no longer determine or manipulate the speed of the fan.

I did however just install the smcFanControl app. But I'm wondering, what is safe temperature range for the inside of the Mini? When should I get worried it's too warm?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Last edited:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Problem would be the fan not being able to spin up. If it's always at 5500rpm then the Mini will be fine.

I'd consider repairing it, as that fan at 5500rpm is pretty noisy and can end up making you crazy.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Problem would be the fan not being able to spin up. If it's always at 5500rpm then the Mini will be fine.

I'd consider repairing it, as that fan at 5500rpm is pretty noisy and can end up making you crazy.

Thanks, dasx. Running fine now and not too noisy at all. Temps between 85 and 108F so far. I think it's working okay.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Thanks, dasx. Running fine now and not too noisy at all. Temps between 85 and 108F so far. I think it's working okay.

Well, if it's doesn't disturb you then it's fine.

FYI, the fan fixed at 5500rpm might cause it to fail sooner than expected. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.