Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Question On my 5th iPhone 5 - should I just give up?

Purchased an iphone 5 unlocked since launch day.

Went through 5 of them so far since each one has some sort of cosmetic defect out of the box.

So far my 5th replacement has been the best, only a couple tiny nicks on the black shiny bezel.

I might seem over impulsive on this but hey, it was almost 900 dollars with taxes.

Should i stick with what I have , getting tired of going through iphoe 5s lol.
Chuck-Norris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
WashupDawg
macrumors member

I had to got through 3 to find one that worked. First one had dust or whatever under the screen, the second had a clicking screen.

My advice: live with it, if its small cosmetic things. Bad battery, loose screen or dead pixels are much worse. The phone will get scratched at some point inevitably.

I agree that the device should be perfect as it's pretty freaking expensive. But reality begs to differ. And no, my iPhone 5 isn't perfect either. But I really can't be arsed to study it closely all the time.
WashupDawg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
MVallee
macrumors 6502

Put a case on it and you won't see it or don't put a case on it and you'll likely end up with even more scratches so there's no point in searching for a 'perfect' iPhone.
MVallee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
dialed1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to dialed1
No just check yourself in or seek counseling
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

I have been through about 8 of them. All had some issue. I would keep doing it except for me - it's the waste of my time. I have given up and lived with a "scuffed" edge.

It's sad that not one unit has been flawless out of the box. If this was a trac-phone it wouldn't bother me so much.

But this is apple - apple stands for perfect and they are failing.
Mechinyun is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:57 PM   #6
darster
macrumors 68000

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
darster is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7
jetlagged
macrumors regular

i exchanged my iphone 5 black that i bought last week. i went today to exchange it. the second time is a charm, and i'm happy, very happy that it's not scuffed.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

yeah it was nerve racking going in today at the apple store to exchange my iphone 5, it was embarassing, but apple store employees took it without questions asked and brought me out a brand new box sealed in the plastic wrapper iphone 5. so far no flaws yet, but i think its good. i wont go look for trouble.
jetlagged is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
sehnsucht77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
Purchased an iphone 5 unlocked since launch day.

Went through 5 of them so far since each one has some sort of cosmetic defect out of the box.

So far my 5th replacement has been the best, only a couple tiny nicks on the black shiny bezel.

I might seem over impulsive on this but hey, it was almost 900 dollars with taxes.

Should i stick with what I have , getting tired of going through iphoe 5s lol.
i am curious, is this a phone that you will use or keep in a glass case meant to never have any blemishes and wear for as long as you own it?

i mean, its a phone.
sehnsucht77 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9
iapplelove
Banned

Funny I'm on my first from launch
iapplelove is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:12 PM   #10
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
That he couldn't get a normal working iPhone? I agree.

I went through 3 iPhone 5's before getting a perfect one.

1st one I pre-ordered: had a loose piece inside moving around.

2nd one: Very loose/ratting sleep wake button

3rd one: Screen scratched out of the box

Perfect one: no scuffs, no rattling buttons, no issues. If I had to be picky, the home button has some slight play. My first one did too, but works fine.

No two iPhones are the same as far as build quality goes.
MattMJB0188 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #11
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Yeah iPhone 5 QC is terrible.

I'm holding onto my good one for dear life.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
i exchanged my iphone 5 black that i bought last week. i went today to exchange it. the second time is a charm, and i'm happy, very happy that it's not scuffed.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

yeah it was nerve racking going in today at the apple store to exchange my iphone 5, it was embarassing, but apple store employees took it without questions asked and brought me out a brand new box sealed in the plastic wrapper iphone 5. so far no flaws yet, but i think its good. i wont go look for trouble.
now,imagine if something really does goe wrong with your phone and you have to get it replaced .
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:24 PM   #13
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
That he couldn't get a normal working iPhone? I agree.

I went through 3 iPhone 5's before getting a perfect one.
They all worked! Just a few scuffs. Anyone that would return an item, not once, not twice, not 3, not 4, but 5 or more times because of a few scuffs is not mentally balanced. This is a true first world problem, and people who are so hung up on the looks of a damn phone, have serious issues in life.
darster is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:25 PM   #14
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Yeah iPhone 5 QC is terrible.

I'm holding onto my good one for dear life.
Not really. I only went through 3 defective iPhone 5s. I had at least 15, yes 15 iPhone 4S's. I just kept exchanging them throughout earlier this year because they would have loose home buttons, light leakage, rattling sleep wake buttons (even though I ended up living with that), and screen issues.

Call me OCD or whatever you want, we pay good money for these products and I am proud to say I didn't settle for the cosmetic issues.
MattMJB0188 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:26 PM   #15
BRyken
macrumors 6502

My first iPhone 5 had a giant speck of dust right under the middle of the screen. Replaced it a few days after and haven't had a problem since. I'm also not extremely picky like others but I do think that its your money and you shouldn't quit until it meets your standards.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:31 PM   #16
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Not really. I only went through 3 defective iPhone 5s. I had at least 15, yes 15 iPhone 4S's. I just kept exchanging them throughout earlier this year because they would have loose home buttons, light leakage, rattling sleep wake buttons (even though I ended up living with that), and screen issues.

Call me OCD or whatever you want, we pay good money for these products and I am proud to say I didn't settle for the cosmetic issues.
Only 3 iPhone 5's is too many even if comparative.

I went through like 7 or 8 ipad 3s and about 4 iPhone 5's.

Ipad 3 was the worst swap experience ever to get a good screen.

My first mini screen stopped working all together.

I hate how much a crap shoot these things are.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:36 PM   #17
F123D
macrumors 68040

I'm glad I returned my iPhone 5 and was done with it. Tried the swapping game and it wasn't worth my time.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:44 PM   #18
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Don't give up. I am still waiting for my perfect original Palm from 3COM. I have lost count but the last one they sent me the stylus wiggled a bit in its holder.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:45 PM   #19
rgarjr
macrumors 603

If u go out looking for defects you're going to find some, so ease up on the OCD.
rgarjr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

I think it's important to ask yourself why you *really* care... I'm not joking or being sarcastic in any way. Why is it that you MUST have a blemish-free iPhone? Is it for resale purposes? On principle (being that you paid a lot of money for it)? Try to determine why exactly you want it to be blemish-free and ask yourself if you intend to keep it this way.
Leonard1818 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:53 PM   #21
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Only 3 iPhone 5's is too many even if comparative.

I went through like 7 or 8 ipad 3s and about 4 iPhone 5's.

Ipad 3 was the worst swap experience ever to get a good screen.

My first mini screen stopped working all together.

I hate how much a crap shoot these things are.
After going through nearly 15 4S's three iPhone 5s was not bad.

So many people are using iPhones that have flaws and don't even know. Apple could save itself a lot of money if they simply upped quality control. Maybe that's what they're doing as my iphone 5 was made this month.
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:05 PM   #22
ToyGun1
macrumors regular

Guys, I went through about 16 iphone 5 32gb Black at my local Apple store and Apple store Online the last two months.
8 phones had Dead/Stuck Pixels.
3 phones had Scuffs.
4 phones had Dust under the screen.
Week 45 Built iPhone has no problems at all only purchased this week.

What funny is had no problems with my ipad 4 at all.

Last edited by ToyGun1; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
ToyGun1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:09 PM   #23
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyGun1 View Post
Guys, I went through about 16 iphone 5 32gb Black at my local Apple store and Apple store Online the last two months.
8 phones had Dead/Stuck Pixels.
3 phones had Scuffs.
4 phones had Dust under the screen.
This week 45 iPhone has no problems at all only purchased this week.

What funny is had no problems with my ipad 4 at all.
So was mine. My serial number starts with DNP and mine was made week 45 (Nov). Absolutely flawless.
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:27 PM   #24
iSensei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialed1 View Post
No just check yourself in or seek counseling
Not exactly. I paid $1,000 for mine and still waiting for it to be shipped. I expect a brand new product to be FLAWLESS. Just like when you buy a brand NEW car you expect it to be flawless. With time of course you'll get it scratched but that's in time. WTF my iPhone 4 and 4S were freaking flawless back when Jobs was in charge. I'd live with scuffs and what not on a second hand device but on a brand new Apple device no thanks. If the phone is flawless and you invest in a case/screen protector when you sell it it will keep its value, no? Jobs himself was OCD. Nothing wrong with wanting to be perfect and having high standards.

Last edited by iSensei; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
iSensei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:29 PM   #25
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Jesus christ. People like OP give Apple fans a bad name. 5 phones, really? Is someone gonna die because your beloved iPhone has a scuff on the back of it?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone