Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
My app was developed since iOS 3, there is some weak point.

I want to recreate it using storyboard and ARC and so on, but I am not sure if it is nice choice because storyboard can not be used below iOS 5.

What do you think about this? Please give me your suggestion.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
My app was developed since iOS 3, there is some weak point.

I want to recreate it using storyboard and ARC and so on, but I am not sure if it is nice choice because storyboard can not be used below iOS 5.

What do you think about this? Please give me your suggestion.

It's a business decision as much as anything. You will lose some users if you drop support for iOS 4.x. Not very many however (less than 10%).

Our company made the decision a while ago to drop support for anything before 5.0, at least for new app development. We make fairly heavy use of the new parent/child view controller support added in 5.0, and have gotten very used to ARC. (It makes life easier.)

We haven't had to do major changes to our existing apps, and I would hesitate to drop 4.x support unless there was a compelling reason to do so.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
It's a business decision as much as anything. You will lose some users if you drop support for iOS 4.x. Not very many however (less than 10%).

Our company made the decision a while ago to drop support for anything before 5.0, at least for new app development. We make fairly heavy use of the new parent/child view controller support added in 5.0, and have gotten very used to ARC. (It makes life easier.)

We haven't had to do major changes to our existing apps, and I would hesitate to drop 4.x support unless there was a compelling reason to do so.
I will try to track users who downloaded my app and check if they are still using 4.3.

Last edited:

ritesh2408

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
India
Check out Flurry Analytics

We are using it. It is most popular & best analytics solution for mobile apps right now..

And From me personal experience you can easily drop support for iOS 4.3
Because from our apps I can say that users of iOS 4.3 are less then 1 % of total users who use our apps.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Check out Flurry Analytics

We are using it. It is most popular & best analytics solution for mobile apps right now..

And From me personal experience you can easily drop support for iOS 4.3
Because from our apps I can say that users of iOS 4.3 are less then 1 % of total users who use our apps.
Thanks for your info about Flurry, but I am not sure how can I select universal app on startup page, do you have any idea?
By the way, does flurry provide detail analytics for iPhone4S, iPad Mini and so on?

Last edited:

ritesh2408

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
India
Thanks for your info about Flurry, but I am not sure how can I select universal app on startup page, do you have any idea?
By the way, does flurry provide detail analytics for iPhone4S, iPad Mini and so on?

Yes Fully provides detail analytics for every iOS device.

And about creating Universal app in Xcode, just google it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.