Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgr874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
I had to move to a rural part of California for my job. I had been with ATT with an iphone 4 but decided to upgrade to a 5 to see if my reception was any better. I didn't notice any improvement, so I went and purchased an iphone 5 from verizon. The verizon does get better reception and seems much more consistent with its data although its slower than my ATT iphone 5 when it finally connects.

My question is, would I be better served by going to a verizon iphone 4s rather than a verizon iphone 5? There is no LTE service here (although their online coverage map claims I live right in the middle of LTE service.) How much worse is the iphone 4s antenna compared to the iphone 5's antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
I think you will be more impacted by Verizon vs ATT coverage, than 4S vs 5. That being said, I have lived in rural areas and verizon was by far, much much better.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I had to move to a rural part of California for my job. I had been with ATT with an iphone 4 but decided to upgrade to a 5 to see if my reception was any better. I didn't notice any improvement, so I went and purchased an iphone 5 from verizon. The verizon does get better reception and seems much more consistent with its data although its slower than my ATT iphone 5 when it finally connects.

My question is, would I be better served by going to a verizon iphone 4s rather than a verizon iphone 5? There is no LTE service here (although their online coverage map claims I live right in the middle of LTE service.) How much worse is the iphone 4s antenna compared to the iphone 5's antenna?

You have no LTE it's gonna be the same thing man lol you can't change antenna reception unless your phone is defective.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

if Verizon shows LTE coverage call support and find out why.

dgr874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
im not trying to change the reception. Im asking if the iphone 5 has better non LTE reception than the 4s. Sorry if i wasnt clear.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
im not trying to change the reception. Im asking if the iphone 5 has better non LTE reception than the 4s. Sorry if i wasnt clear.

So your question isn't about reception, but it IS about reception? :confused:

And no, you will probably see no change in reception.

The slower 3G speed on Verizon is also normal. Throughput on a 3G CDMA network is just going to be slower than HSPA+ like on the AT&T network.

dgr874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
Alright, I will try to word it differently. Does the iphone 5 antenna work better than the 4s antenna in non-LTE environments? I don't know if i'm just wasting my money by buying an iphone 5 when there is no LTE service where I work and live.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I'm sure the 5 antenna is slightly better than the 4S antenna, I do happen to have an Anechoic chamber which could reliably do the measurements - but I haven't got my 5's yet.

An alternative is to install at home a 3G/UMTS "Home NodeB" or a "nanoBTS" which will give you a cloud of connectivity for around 20 designated phones. Your non-LTE calls will then be routed through your home broadband internet instead of the Telco backhaul. Home NodeB's are available from free to around a hundred dollars here in Europe, and there are now more of the small domestic basestations installed than the large Telco cellular basestations.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's seemed about the same between the 4S and 5 with AT&T when I didn't have LTE.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I find it a neat feature that the Verizon iPhone 5 antenna is a lot better than the Verizon iPhone 4. I'm in the locker room in the basement of the hospital (I work here) and usually on the Verizon iPhone 4 I would just drop straight to one bar and the little "o" which is Verizon's 2G network 1X. Now for some reason I have 4 to 5 bars with 3G coverage in the locker room in the basement using the Verizon iPhone 5. I never use to get this. I would have to hurry and revert to the hospital's Wi-Fi network to use data. It's way better now. Not sure if its the new chipset inside or the new antenna band that allowed this but man is this nice. I'm actually typing this right now in the locker room in the basemen. And I got 3G coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.