Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
I LOVE my iPad 4. It's my first iPad. Had it since the day it released but this week I started noticing it occasionally turns itself off (just to sleep, not all the way off) when I'm NOT pushing the "sleep" button. Not a big problem or anything, just weird. Seems to happen when I'm handling the bezel, so at first I thought it was a sensor thing like the phone, but I don't think the Pad has a sensor like that.. anyone else?

bomikepa

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I LOVE my iPad 4. It's my first iPad. Had it since the day it released but this week I started noticing it occasionally turns itself off (just to sleep, not all the way off) when I'm NOT pushing the "sleep" button. Not a big problem or anything, just weird. Seems to happen when I'm handling the bezel, so at first I thought it was a sensor thing like the phone, but I don't think the Pad has a sensor like that.. anyone else?

I was using Iannotate once my ipad would randomly shut off too and go to sleep on its own. I would unlock it and then it would go back to sleep like 5 seconds later it did this like two more times and then it stopped on its own. Has not happened since so I'm not sure if the app was causing a crash of what or if it was some random event. Not sure what to tell you

The ipad has the sensor for th Smart Cover so maybe you have magnetic hands or something or its near a magnetic causing it go to sleep?

Just a thought take it in to the Genius Bar if you are concerned

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
hmm, i figured it was the auto lock setting. i have mine set at 2 minutes and around a minute after not doing anything it dims and then about another it turns off. is that not what it is supposed to do?

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Positive it's not the sleep setting as there was no dimming and I was actively using it. However, maybe I was somehow triggering the magnetic sensor. I tend to use my ipad with the Smart Cover still connected and folded back around the rear of the ipad. Maybe when shuffling around Im pushing the edge of the cover close enough to sensor to trigger it. I'll try to recreate that and see if that's it. Thanks for that suggestion.

UPDATE: it's not that, because while I'm able to trigger the sensor to cause it to sleep, as soon as I pull the magnet away the ipad returns immediately to the app I was on with no lock screen whereas when it randomly went to sleep I had to swipe the lock screen to reopen it. I'll pay attention and report back if it keeps happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.