Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
This is no different than any other technology industry. Look at televisions. They are all derivative of each other, but you don't see a web of lawsuits occurring in the TV industry.

The iPhone wasn't "derivative" of anything. Do people even remember mobile phones before 2007? I do. They were NOTHING like the iPhone or any current Android or Windows "smartphone" (and no, Blackberry wasn't even close). If people don't get that, then I can't really help. For those claiming Apple didn't "invent" the "technology" associated with the patent disputes: please tell me you are using a Nokia brick phone circa 2000, because that's what phones would still look like and work like if it weren't for Apple.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
Just because Macrumors chooses to publicise these lawsuits very often it doesn't mean Apple is in the wrong... lol

Apple have lawyers for a reason, not just decoration..
Apple make products for their own fame not others..

you can see how these things start to make sense right?

stop WHINING!

----------

Gimped? It does what it is supposed to do, how is that Gimped? Do you need your mobile phone to be able to make a sandwich for you? I would prefer the iPhone looks over the Sandwich Maker SIV

It is gimped, get over it.

----------

The iPhone wasn't "derivative" of anything. Do people even remember mobile phones before 2007? I do. They were NOTHING like the iPhone or any current Android or Windows "smartphone" (and no, Blackberry wasn't even close). If people don't get that, then I can't really help. For those claiming Apple didn't "invent" the "technology" associated with the patent disputes: please tell me you are using a Nokia brick phone circa 2000, because that's what phones would still look like and work like if it weren't for Apple.

Never would have happened without Apple, huh? Apple was simply first to popularize it. Don't mistake that with... never would have happened... :rolleyes:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
What "core technologies" did Apple invent?

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope
Mobile radio tech? None at all

Name one piece of actual tech, not software, that Apple "invented" that is in the iPhone.

Software patents are a different beast and many would agree that some patents that have been granted are a joke at best.
Copyright law should be sufficient in most of these cases.

I was going to ask same thing.

Jaasen Jones

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009

If it hadn't have been Apple, it would have been someone else...

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
as I understood, this "battle" doesn't be in court room till March 2014? right?
if so, what would get these companies, for argument sake say, Samsung has potential at winning this, whatever they call against iphone 5, what they get benefit from it, will apple pay them difference between samsung and apple phone sales?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope

Name one piece of actual tech, not software, that Apple "invented" that is in the iPhone.

Software patents are a different beast and many would agree that some patents that have been granted are a joke at best.
That's what all these lawsuits are about! SOFTWARE.
Software is tech - not following what you mean by actual.

As an aspiring dev, I'd be pissed if someone could just rip me off and it wasn't Okay to sue them.

----------

Whilst that may be the official spin, we all know it's only happening because Apple's sales are taking a hit - despite what the biggest fanboy will tell you, the Samsung android devices that are being made these days are actually pretty damn good devices - the S3 for example always gets a much more favorable review than the iPhone 5.

I say this as a person who owns an iPhone, and who is not pathetically supporting one company or the other - both have crap products, both have good products.

What are you talking about?
Of all the things said about the s3 it's not the design. It's the fastest hardware with okay software.. In fact, it's not reviewed anywhere nearly as highly as the iPhone 5.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Apple has demonstrated an ability and willingness to come to agreements with others who stole from them. Seems Samsung is the problem.

----------

Samsung when they copied the iPhone?

Cha Ching. Apple needs new revenue streams. Samsung judgments will be their newest revenue stream.

----------

That point comes way after copying instead of innovating. It is funny you think people say apple should just innovate instead of protect their previous innovations.

That is a failure of logic on an epic scale.

Kool-aid must be strong :eek: because if whe go by what you say apple ripped off everyone :eek:

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
The number of people here saying, what basically comes down to, "Apple should just shut their doors, fire their employees and give up because Samsung claims they own the idea of a volume control" is a bit surprising. I mean, I expect people spout off. But there just seem to be a surprising number of Samsung flacks here.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Apple's unwillingness to simply work with other companies will be their downfall. It doesn't matter if it's Samsung or Google or Facebook.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple he patched up things with Microsoft and was able to concentrate on moving Apple forward.

Whether it's hardware, software or services, Apple need to concentrate on making Apple better and stop getting so hung up on "burying the other guy". Work with those that deliver the best in their field. Apple doesn't NEED to do everything in-house and they shouldn't.

I think Apple and Samsung need to come to an agreement. The lawsuits will not benefit either side in the long run.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Whether it's hardware, software or services, Apple need to concentrate on making Apple better and stop getting so hung up on "burying the other guy". Work with those that deliver the best in their field. Apple doesn't NEED to do everything in-house and they shouldn't.

I think Apple and Samsung need to come to an agreement. The lawsuits will not benefit either side in the long run.

What give you the idea that Apple is focus on burying the other guy but not focus on their product? Didn't we has a major new rollout of most Apple products? From where I sit, it looks like all of them are getting pretty good review and sales number are great. The only major problem is Foxconn production problem in Iphone 5. Customer is where Apple focus their effort on. They are voting with their dollars and it seems to be doing mighty well.. Why can't a company assert their right to protect their idea and build new product at the same time?

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope

Just to be fair. What "core technologies" did Google and Samsung invent? Search Engine? Android?

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I choose polaroid. The best thing in tablet scene! Apple got too greedy and started putting expensive useless technology on disposable products (magsafe). Why would anyone put up with a company, that forces to buy stuff, that is obsolete the minute you buy it? While apple claims social responsibility in fact it is not responsable at all. For example iphone case manufacturers have to throw their stock to the garbage every 6 months.

As far as all this Samsung/iphone battle... I would choose samsung, since apple products became incompatible with apple!!! So in this case it is better android scene- it has more total devices running it from cell phones to tablets and so on.

Last edited:

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
palm company had the best stuff at some point before apple even started thinking about iphone. I remember palm pilots had everything you could wish for - camera with audio, video, photo function, audio recorder, even touch screen, and quite advanced technology, software. The problem was that it had poor marketing. palm came up with revolutionary design and ideas. They came up with a tablet design when everyone laughed at them using heavy laptops. I think some patents/ideas/workers were eventualy incorporated to android/apple products.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
How much is Samsung worth? Can't Apple just buy them out?

you are joking right? samsung doesn't just make smartphones and laptops. they make tv's,dvd players, kitchen appliances, air conditioners(i have one in my bedroom) and so many other appliances.

outside of america samsung is quite popular.

if their smartphone division died Samsung would still survive. can't really say the same about apple. if people stopped buying their smartphones that would be a huge loss for them. they wouldn't be finished but it would be a huge hit.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Just to be fair. What "core technologies" did Google and Samsung invent? Search Engine? Android?

Well Samsung and Google both own multiple patents over "core technologies" (ie, radio transmission protocols like LTE and HSPA+ and others). Samsung is a multi-disciplinary vendor with a hand in communications and semi conductors, while Google purchased Motorola Mobility which had invented many of these. It's safe to say Samsung also invented quite a lot of the tech that goes into these mobile devices.

Apple holds key patents over LTE through their Nortel bid, but they don't have exclusive use to them having bought them as a group with Microsoft amongst others.

One key aspect to recognize this is that Apple claims are mostly centered around design patents/registrations, trade dress/trademark and UI/software patents while the counter-claims by its defendants are mostly centered around FRAND encumbered patents for core radio transmissions.

In the end, Apple plays victim a lot, but, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola have all had to go to court to get their licensing fees for FRAND patents for radio technologies, and Apple to this day has only settled with Nokia. Apple is big to say "pay for our IP!" but is slow to actually pay for IP it needs to license.

Hypocrites.

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
I think this will end up being a waste of time and money for both companies and also manages to make them both look bad in the eye of the public.
54.gif

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
How much is Samsung worth? Can't Apple just buy them out?

Samsung is worth 2 dollars. I think I have enough change in my pocket to buy them out.

----------

you are joking right? samsung doesn't just make smartphones and laptops. they make tv's,dvd players, kitchen appliances, air conditioners(i have one in my bedroom) and so many other appliances.

outside of america samsung is quite popular.

if their smartphone division died Samsung would still survive. can't really say the same about apple. if people stopped buying their smartphones that would be a huge loss for them. they wouldn't be finished but it would be a huge hit.

Not only just electronics/appliances.

Cars, buildings, ships, etc.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Everyone, even I, has been hating on Apple for all these lawsuits recently.

But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.

Stop with the "Apple fighting for innovation" nonsense already. That's absurd.

Apple has NOT invented the core technologies behind these devices. You seem to know nothing about which patents are involved in the fight between these two companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.