Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Has anybody tried Linux on 68k Macs?

Hi! I may acquire a classic Macintosh in the future, and would be interested in putting Linux on it? Has anybody here tried Linux on these Macs, such as this:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

Also, does it take advantage of CISC?
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Hi! I may acquire a classic Macintosh in the future, and would be interested in putting Linux on it? Has anybody here tried Linux on these Macs, such as this:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

Also, does it take advantage of CISC?
"CISC" is a description of a class of CPU architectures. By definition any software that runs on a CISC type CPU "takes advantage of it". More technically speaking, Linux is built using the gcc compiler. Gcc is pretty good and will generate pretty good code on the 68K architecture

I wonder what you are going to do with Linux on such a low-end computer. It will run fine but if it will work for your intended use we can't say.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
"CISC" is a description of a class of CPU architectures. By definition any software that runs on a CISC type CPU "takes advantage of it". More technically speaking, Linux is built using the gcc compiler. Gcc is pretty good and will generate pretty good code on the 68K architecture

I wonder what you are going to do with Linux on such a low-end computer. It will run fine but if it will work for your intended use we can't say.
I'm acquiring a 68k Macintosh, I'm unsure of which model, and I don't have access to system floppies, so I was wondering if it was any better than experimental. I was mostly doing it to learn shell scripting and to use gcc and a couple other things that have to do with Linux.

EDIT: I just got an avatar !
Tumblr

Last edited by Ariii; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:24 AM   #4
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Remind me to Minix ... I run that in the old days on an Atari ST, also M68000. Per-Linux.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I had Debian 2.2 going on my Classic II a few years back. 16MHz 68030, 10MB RAM, 160MB HDD. It was a pretty slow, miserable experience. I remember having to leave it on and going overnight while it was installing. There's no way to boot Linux natively on an Old World ROM Macintosh - you need to start up the Mac OS, then start a loader that hands control over to Linux. It was a blast to do, and I'd totally recommend going for it if you want a good side project! Just don't expect to get the latest Ubuntu release going on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000743.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	380492  
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

I had NetBSD on my SE/30 a few years ago. 128 MB RAM, 9 GB hard drive. Took forever to get it loaded on, but ran as a great little server for many years.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

I found out that the 68k I'm getting is a Macintosh Plus, so I'm limited to Minix, or I might look at this:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/devel/plushw.php

Also, I'm about to get a PowerBook 520c, which will probably be able to run an early version of Debian .
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors