Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
themoffster
macrumors regular

ATV wake iMac via wifi with no extreme or airport?

Is this possible?
From my extensive googling, it seems that it is just caused by bonjour ports not being forwarded correctly by a 'normal' (link sys, sagem, etc) router.
The ports outlined by apple 5353, 123 and 3689 I've opened, but there's no waking the iMac from the ATV.

Is this possible at all?
I'm aware the apple knowledge docs say it requires an extreme or an airport in the network, but I'd have thought someone would have managed to work out a way around this by now.
themoffster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:27 AM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

opening ports just means making them available to the outside world, it has nothing to do with traffic on your internal network. you should close them.

what you're looking for is sleep proxy, it's a feature of the apple wireless devices.
the sleep proxy device will keep broadcasting the services from a computer that has gone to sleep. When a request comes in for that service, the airport will send the magic packet to wake up the sleeping device.

there is an actual program running on the airports that enables this, so really no way to "work around"
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater