Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poisoncoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I just got in on the $140 ebay deal for the Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TD250BW. This is my first SSD so I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to install it on my Mac Pro. I noticed this on the Amazon description page:

Installation Kit also includes 3.5" bracket with screws, SATA data and power cables, mounting spacer, and SATA to USB adapter cable

Is that all I need to get it going in my Mac Pro or is there some other sort of adapter I need to install it correctly?

Thanks for the help.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I just got in on the $140 ebay deal for the Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TD250BW. This is my first SSD so I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to install it on my Mac Pro. I noticed this on the Amazon description page:

Is that all I need to get it going in my Mac Pro or is there some other sort of adapter I need to install it correctly?

Thanks for the help.

Yep, it's got all you need.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you should need an adapter. The model number of the one we ordered on eBay is MZ-7TD250BW, which is not the kit. The kit ends in KW and includes the spacer. According to Samsung and even the Amazon page you're referring to, it says the spacer is only including in the installation kit.

I found an adapter that should work for you, OWC makes one. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MMP35T25/

poisoncoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Yes, you should need an adapter. The model number of the one we ordered on eBay is MZ-7TD250BW, which is not the kit. The kit ends in KW and includes the spacer. According to Samsung and even the Amazon page you're referring to, it says the spacer is only including in the installation kit.

I found an adapter that should work for you, OWC makes one. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MMP35T25/

Wow. Ok, thanks.

Just looked at that page, and they are not compatible with my early 2008 Mac Pro. I've ordered the one from the other post. Thanks for all the help everyone.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I had one of these arrive DOA from amazon. I mounted it to the tray and it simply didn't work.

For the money the OWC blue tray is probably better.

Well... That's certainly very unusual. Many people on these forums use them and this is the first time I've ever heard of a problem. I think that the Icy Dock is a more elegant solution, but whatever floats your boat.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Well... That's certainly very unusual. Many people on these forums use them and this is the first time I've ever heard of a problem. I think that the Icy Dock is a more elegant solution, but whatever floats your boat.

Not that unusual. I read all the "how do I mount my SSD threads" and more than one person has complained about the Icy Dock.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Unless you plan on moving your Mac around, one or more SSD's can just sit in the optical bay.

Put your SSD in the optical bay and route its connection via a SATA cable to one of the two unused SATA ports on the 2008 MP motherboard. Search the web for details. For power you can use the power supply cable intended for the second optical drive; you may need an adaptor to connect to your SSD.

I have one (soon to be three) SSD's in my 2009 MP taped with double-sided foam tape to the top of my optical drive which I moved to the lower slot so it became, effectively, my SSD "shelf."

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have one (soon to be three) SSD's in my 2009 MP taped with double-sided foam tape to the top of my optical drive which I moved to the lower slot so it became, effectively, my SSD "shelf."

There is enough physical space for three, but not enough connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.