Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I am a very happy owner of an iPad Mini but I got a great black friday deal on a Nexus 7 so I'm genuinely curious what will help me differentiate my Nexus 7 usage along WITH my iPad Mini. [Edit: To clarify, I dont live alone. For us then Tablets are community property so my question is about distinguishing two different devices]

So far the obvious differences are "clear" :p. Despite the smaller screen, the higher resolution does make reading kindle books easier on the eyes and the thinner width makes it easier to hold so I may use this as my reader. GPS (with NavFree) will make this my next GPS on road trips. But what else am I missing? I'd still love to hear what other iPad + Android users are using these two devices in their lives.

Thanks

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So you bought a Nexus 7 and you're curious if it has a place in your lineup?

The Nexus 7 isn't really going to do anything more than what your iPad does. With some specs being different from the iPad, I don't get the need for two. I'm well past the point in my life where I spend money just because the deal was good. I would probably gift one or return one.

For me, the iPad mini fits better because everything else I have is Apple. My ecosystem has been disrupted with an Android device and as much as I actually favored it, it felt disjointed. I lived out a contract and went back to the iPhone. I believe that I'd feel the same with a Nexus tablet.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
USB hosting is something I find important that the N7 will do that the Mini won't. For example if you plug in a mouse (be it wired USB or USB WiFi mouse) a cursor will pop up on the screen. Game controllers work, you can import photos directly off a camera, etc. You can even plug an iPhone or iPad in and the android device can import the photos off of it....

The biggest thing the iPad has on the N7 is more/better tablet specific apps. However the N7 with its 7" screen can use phone apps and still look pretty good unlike on a full size tablet where some apps are questionable at best.

I like that the N7 has an actual file system that you can store your files on. Since the N7 isn't restricted to the play store you can download apps from anywhere (settings > security > unknown sources > check).

You can set apps to be the default. For example, when you click a link in an email iOS will open safari. On the N7 you can set it to open your browser of choice. The same applies to everything that opens an alternative app, music players, picture viewers/editors, etc.

You can use different keyboards if that's important to you. I personally like the 4.2 keyboard but if I didn't I have the option to replace it.

There are tons of things. And the iPad mini has a lot of good things too like integration into an apple ecosystem is unparalleled and app section is better. On the later point I don't have an issue with apps and I own multiple iOS devices and 2 android tablets both 10.1....

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
So you bought a Nexus 7 and you're curious if it has a place in your lineup?

The Nexus 7 isn't really going to do anything more than what your iPad does. With some specs being different from the iPad, I don't get the need for two. I'm well past the point in my life where I spend money just because the deal was good. I would probably gift one or return one.
Sorry for not clarifying, but I dont live alone. Tablets in our house are community property so my question is about distinguishing function similar to how many dual platform households work. Most of the time I need a Mac, but every so often I need Windows. So I'm simply asking people who actually own both (which there are quite a few) if there's any situation where that may happen with Android and iOS households.

----------

There are tons of things. And the iPad mini has a lot of good things too like integration into an apple ecosystem is unparalleled and app section is better. On the later point I don't have an issue with apps and I own multiple iOS devices and 2 android tablets both 10.1....
Thanks so much for your response!

Actually, I got the 32GB version which is overkill since I dont like many of the Android apps. So if photo transfer works then that will save me from buying an iPad Connector dongle.

About the keyboard. Does the Nexus have swype? I had an Android phone with swype a while back and back then that keyboard was the only thing I liked about it so Im hoping I can figure out how to enable it on the Nexus.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Keep money in your wallet ?

Lol, pretty much. The other thing is that the Nexus 7 is actually pocketable, that's HUGE for me. I've grown sick of lugging around any tablet or laptop and it's kind of weird how awesome it is to have both my hands free.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
File system access, better multitasking, and gps to name a few. File system access is huge. It allows you to download files and documents and also easily attach them to emails.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Lol, pretty much. The other thing is that the Nexus 7 is actually pocketable, that's HUGE for me. I've grown sick of lugging around any tablet or laptop and it's kind of weird how awesome it is to have both my hands free.
Do mens pant pockets come in standard sizes? Ive heard several comments about how the iPad Mini is millimeters too wide for a back pocket while the Nexus 7 just makes it in. :confused: For me, I carry a purse so either one is light enough to be carried. But on lazy days when I wear cargos then it does fit in the side pocket which is nice because the old one could never do that. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
File system access, better multitasking, and gps to name a few. File system access is huge. It allows you to download files and documents and also easily attach them to emails.

This. This is indeed something I miss from my Android device. Of course there are apps that help now that we can buy, but that is something that is standard with Android.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Differences for the N7 over the iPad mini?

- Price
- Open file system
- Ability to connect to other sensors via bluetooth (Torque app connecting to OBD diagnostics bluetooth sensor in your car as an example)
- Live wallpaper
- Integrated GPS without having to get cellular version
- Fully customizable including different default keyboards, media players, etc.
- Widgets!
- NFC
- Google Now with integrated Google Nav and Maps
- Email that can send multiple and different type of attachments in a single email
- Your choice of lost/stolen/recovery apps. I use Cerberus which can even take a stealth picture of whoever has your phone and email it to you. Can do a location track on the web same as 'Find my iPhone'.
- Size. More portable but that's just my opinion.
- Higher resolution screen. This one alone should almost be the deal breaker.
- Ability to connect bluetooth keyboard AND mouse. Awesome if you're using the N7 for remote desktop apps.

In regards to question about Swype keyboard, I'm pretty sure the stock 4.2 Keyboard now integrates swype on the N7. If not, easy enough to download Swype keyboard and change it to be the default. Personally I use Swiftkey3.

I've owned 3 iPads already and still have an iPad 2 and iPad 3. They are up for sale now as I never use them anymore. Bought 16GB N7 about 3 months ago and liked it so much I just bought a 32GB N7 with 3G to replace it for only $300. Couldn't be happier and the N7 hits all the right notes for me especially for business. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Do mens pant pockets come in standard sizes? Ive heard several comments about how the iPad Mini is millimeters too wide for a back pocket while the Nexus 7 just makes it in. :confused: For me, I carry a purse so either one is light enough to be carried. But on lazy days when I wear cargos then it does fit in the side pocket which is nice because the old one could never do that. :D

Yeah a purse makes all the difference. My wife won't consider a nexus 7, or even an ipad mini, she just takes our ipad 2 in her purse and is happy that way. I think putting the nexus 7 in your pocket is more of a guy thing, it fits easily in my slacks or jeans and when I get to the office I just throw it in a drawer, it's more to read and do work while I travel. I usually put it in my front pocket and can sit down and function and totally forget it's there.

I can't say I have actually attempted that with an ipad mini, but IMO the nexus 7 is very much bordering on the limit of what I'll put in my pocket.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
How big are your trousers if you can get a Nexus 7 in your pocket?!

tacticalpants.jpg
:p

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How big are your trousers if you can get a Nexus 7 in your pocket?!

Regular slim fit jeans, I am 5" 10" weigh about 190lbs and am pretty lean, 32 waist and wear my pants normal fitting, no baggy jeans here. N7 slips right into my front pocket.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Regular slim fit jeans, I am 5" 10" weigh about 190lbs and am pretty lean, 32 waist and wear my pants normal fitting, no baggy jeans here. N7 slips right into my front pocket.

Yup, I find the N7 fits into most of my pockets as well but unless they're baggy pants/trousers or shorts, I personally think one looks a little ridiculous and it's not terribly comfortable but again, just my experience.

BTW, I can also fit a naked iPad mini into many of my pockets but as with the N7, just don't find the look flattering or comfortable.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
for me, the N7 obviously does everything google better than the iPad. I love the google talk app, especially for video chats. Google now is awesome. Maps are great (gonna mount this thing in my car sometime next week and see how it goes). I have a foot in both camps as well, I've been a long time user of everything google and apple computers, iDevices, etc.

I am beginning to see that for me personally, I use my Apple stuff for entertainment and school. My iPad is a lifesaver for school, and I use it for netflix, and I have an Apple TV at home which I love.

I use the N7 mostly for reading, video chats, and keeping tabs on all my google stuff. I am also looking to consolidate though. When this semester is over I am going to decide what is best for me and get rid of everything else, and then buy a real desktop. I have an iPad 2 and an N7 and a macbook pro and a regular kindle. Girlfriend has a kindle fire. I am thinking an iPad will end up being my tablet of choice, and I will probably replace my iPhone with a galaxy S4 when they drop.

So what's the difference between the two? It's all up to your needs I guess.

Still trying to find even one single use for NFC on the N7.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yup, I find the N7 fits into most of my pockets as well but unless they're baggy pants/trousers or shorts, I personally think one looks a little ridiculous and it's not terribly comfortable but again, just my experience.

BTW, I can also fit a naked iPad mini into many of my pockets but as with the N7, just don't find the look flattering or comfortable.

I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Last night, for example, I had my N7 in my front jeans pocket and was able to crawl around on the floor with my 8 month old, bend, sit, etc and it didn't bother me. You can definitely see that you have something in your pocket though and it does look geekish, but I certainly would never ever do this at a social event/party, or at work, etc. But I do it simply to transport it.

I'm hoping one day some of those flexible screens may be rolled up or folded and we can not worry about carrying tablets ever again.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
And dont forget flash. Working great here. Yes I know its not officially supported but very easy to get working and works great!works better than on my macbook.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Joudbren,

I bought the Mini which is a cheaper means versus the bigger brothers to try the Apple ecosystem and for size and comfort factor I'm more accustomed to as well since I own the Nexus 7.

I ended up returning the Mini. It would be too much duplication for what I personally use the 7 for, albeit for just some ios apps. No need to spend an extra $329.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Sorry for not clarifying, but I dont live alone. Tablets in our house are community property so my question is about distinguishing function similar to how many dual platform households work. Most of the time I need a Mac, but every so often I need Windows. So I'm simply asking people who actually own both (which there are quite a few) if there's any situation where that may happen with Android and iOS households.

----------

Thanks so much for your response!

Actually, I got the 32GB version which is overkill since I dont like many of the Android apps. So if photo transfer works then that will save me from buying an iPad Connector dongle.

About the keyboard. Does the Nexus have swype? I had an Android phone with swype a while back and back then that keyboard was the only thing I liked about it so Im hoping I can figure out how to enable it on the Nexus.

Once Google gets 4.2 out to the masses, you will be able to have multi-person logins with the Nexus 7. This will be a huge advantage for multi-person households looking to buy tablets for communal use.

As for Swype. Any Android device can download the app. And I think the stock Android keyboard now comes standard with a swype feature built in.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England

Tried this last night. Squeezed it in the back pocket with a few inches poking out the top, wouldn't go in the front pocket, but pretty snug on the inside pocket of my coat. Which is ideal. Happy days!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you need multi user support then the N7 is the way to go. And with 4.2 swype is built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.