Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
While investigating the possibility of going to a shared data plan (which resulted in a "no") I was researching our data usage. What I found kind of disturbed me.

My wife and I use two different smartphone ecosystems. She has the iPhone and I use a Windows Phone. I used to use the iPhone but the small characters hurt my eyes and I prefer the simplicity of Windows Phone. But this isn't a thread about that.

What I wanted to discuss was an apparent data leak that comes with iOS6.

First, let's look at the Windows Phone (webOS prior to Apr 2012) data usage. What you see is my data is fairly high when I was working at Wi-Fi lacking facilities and when we went on vacation (due to using the phone for over the road entertainment). Both of these facts are not unexpected.
attachment.php

Now let's look at iOS 6. My wife has been employed throughout this entire chart. You see a spike in June for the vacation as she watched some ABC shows during the trip. But look what happens around the time iOS6 launches.
attachment.php

My wife went on another trip in August and I'm willing to bet she watched some more TV while using her phone. But that jump in September is extremely high. Even worst, when I look at her bill, I can she pulls down a lot of data around the same time every night she uses her phone in her bed to watch something.

We have Wi-Fi in the house. I'm usually using the iPad right next to her and I have a full signal. So I know it's not because the Wi-Fi is bad.

I know Verizon patched their carrier for the same problem. I just want to bring this to your attention so that AT&T will do the same. Because as long as this crap is going on, we have no desire to even remotely consider a shared data plan.

Attachments

• WinPhoneUsage.png
    WinPhoneUsage.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,697
  • iPhoneUsage.png
    iPhoneUsage.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Well, I have AT&T, and I have the iPhone 5 with LTE and an unlimited data plan, and I still have yet to experience this data spike people on MacRumors claim exists. My first month with the iPhone 5, I did reach 5 GBs cap easily. I used my phone a lot, but I also did a **** ton of speedtests because of how awesome LTE was. In my second month, I continued to use my iPhone 5 a lot specially at work, and it turns out that I barely hit 3 GBs this month.

I don't know if 3 GBs may seem a lot to you, but I assure you that 3 GBs or a little less was my actual usage when I had my 4S last year. So my usage hasn't changed all that much and I haven't experienced this "data leak".

I would also troubleshoot if I were you. Like, install iOS 6 as new and what not.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I would also troubleshoot if I were you. Like, install iOS 6 as new and what not.

Well, I made sure all of the data hog apps were set to Wi-Fi only. I will monitor for changes over the next couple months. (again, as I have unlimited data, it doesn't cost me anything)

But I just find it interesting that the spike just so happened to coincide with a iOS6. My wife hasn't used her phone differently and since the network was still Faux-G, I felt no need to do any network speed test.

My wife is using the same apps for the same purposes at the same times every night. And post-iOS6, the data spikes. *scratches head*

Here is a sample page out of our bill. All of the highlighted data charges coincide with her being with the walls of our Wi-Fi enabled house.
attachment.php

Attachments

• iOS Data Usage.png
    iOS Data Usage.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 3,439
Last edited:

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Wow, nice charts and graphs.

But do you realize that no one here on MR can actually help resolve the problem?
I'm not trying to be snarky, and I apologize if it comes off this way. I'm merely wondering if you were able to contact AT&T with this information and what they've done.
Also, to prove your theory have you been able to hold side by side comparisons with another iPhone using iOS5 for the same locations using the same data requests?
I bet that might open up some eyes.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Well, as it turns out, 6.0.1 may have solved the problem. I don't have access to current billing data details, but AT&T says her usage has dropped below mine since about mid November (I'm guessing when I installed 6.0.1 on her iPhone).

But, at least I can add my name to the list of those who indeed had a problem. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.