Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polish101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I have seen a lot of posts regarding bent iPhone 5's. I also have a bent iPhone 5. It has been in an Otter Box since day 1. I have handled this phone better than any other I have owned. I even left the plastic on the back so the black aluminum case would not get scratched from the Otter Box. The phone has not been abused and it some how got bent. I have taken it to Verizon and they told me to go to the Apple store which I plan to do today. The bottom line is if Apple is going to make phones they need to withstand the use that any other phone on the market withstands or they need to put a disclaimer on their packaging as to how fragile the phone is. Not being able to put your phone in your pocket as you would do with any other phone on the market is a lame response.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
How do you bend an iPhone?! I had a 4s for over a year and recently got an iPhone 5. Granted, it's longer and thinner and lighter but BEND it?! Amazing. You'd think the display would crack before it would bend too much....

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It boggles my mind how it would bend inside an otterbox case. When I had an otterbox, it was pretty snug inside the case and didn't allow any type of movement at all. What are you people doing to your phones?

Before I get blasted, I know it can bend. I'm not denying physics. I'm just saying, look at all the people like me going caseless and have yet to see this happen. I put mine in my front pocket all the time when I'm not in my car. I've dropped it from about 18" on concrete and further on carpet. I've fallen asleep and laid on it. No bending. There's either a defect in these individual phones to begin with or people are not being honest with what they put their phones through on a daily basis.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Pics! Please?

Ps, sorry to hear about the bent phone, OP. I've seen a number of posts about it, and it seems to be a known problem; hope you get a replacement. Sent from my iPhone 5.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
It boggles my mind how it would bend inside an otterbox case. When I had an otterbox, it was pretty snug inside the case and didn't allow any type of movement at all. What are you people doing to your phones?

Before I get blasted, I know it can bend. I'm not denying physics. I'm just saying, look at all the people like me going caseless and have yet to see this happen. I put mine in my front pocket all the time when I'm not in my car. I've dropped it from about 18" on concrete and further on carpet. I've fallen asleep and laid on it. No bending. There's either a defect in these individual phones to begin with or people are not being honest with what they put their phones through on a daily basis.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the honesty thing. I've used my iPhone 5 naked, in an Otterbox defender case, and in a clear incase snap case. No scratches, no scuffs, no bending, and my photos look fine.

I'm really curious about how all of these phones are just bending...maybe it's like that episode of Futurama where Bender is bending things in his sleep?

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the honesty thing. I've used my iPhone 5 naked, in an Otterbox defender case, and in a clear incase snap case. No scratches, no scuffs, no bending, and my photos look fine.

I'm really curious about how all of these phones are just bending...maybe it's like that episode of Futurama where Bender is bending things in his sleep?

No, they are bending from pressure. The people with the issue probably feel they did not put enough pressure to bend the phone, but that is why it's happening. Sitting on it in back or front pocket can cause this. The aluminum-6061 non-tempered at that thickness is actually very easy to bend. Can be done by hand.

Solution-bend it back. Out it on flat hard table. Put wash cloth over phone. Place large heavy flat book on top. Put even downward pressure and keep checking your work. It will bend back.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
No, they are bending from pressure. The people with the issue probably feel they did not put enough pressure to bend the phone, but that is why it's happening. Sitting on it in back or front pocket can cause this. The aluminum-6061 non-tempered at that thickness is actually very easy to bend. Can be done by hand.

Solution-bend it back. Out it on flat hard table. Put wash cloth over phone. Place large heavy flat book on top. Put even downward pressure and keep checking your work. It will bend back.

Bending and re-bending is going to cause issues in the long-run. Each time will make it easier to bend the next time. Not many other options, though.

Clint

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I've noticed that my iPhone 5 has a touch of flex, but bent?! Pictures or it did not happen.

elixxxer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Mine has bent in the same area as others, around the volume buttons. Mine is not in a case, but I've never dropped it or placed any unreasonable pressure on the phone. I will try getting a replacement from the Apple store, but I'm not hopeful given I cannot prove it was not mistreated.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It has been in an Otter Box since day 1. I have handled this phone better than any other I have owned. I even left the plastic on the back so the black aluminum case would not get scratched from the Otter Box. The phone has not been abused and it some how got bent.

Sorry, but my BS meter is off the charts right now.:rolleyes:

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
This is getting bigger and bigger I am glad that I was not able to buy an iphone 5 because I could not find it.

Apple will have to change something in the design to avoid this.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
This is getting bigger and bigger I am glad that I was not able to buy an iphone 5 because I could not find it.

Apple will have to change something in the design to avoid this.

Yeah right...because of a few thousand people in an Internet forum, of which only a small subset of those have posted any complaints?

How does that compare to the millions of IPhone 5s that have been sold?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
There have been many many threads with pictures. Who cares if you don't believe it. :rolleyes:

Actually none of the mac rumor posts have had any pictures.

***Edited*** I did find this pic in one of the threads.

8u6enyge.jpg

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

No they are not just bending. So few of them after millions of them sold, are reported bending, and I can almost bet they did something to them that caused this, like banging it, sitting on it hard or over a period of time, or perhaps laid something heavy on it. So few have reported this, and some are just not telling the whole truth. :p

Most others have had no issue with them. Go figure

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I bent my iPhone 5. But, unlike these new posters who claim it happend magically, I'm an honest man, and I slammed a car door into it. It shattered the screen and bent the frame. Amazingly enough it worked perfectly. Apple replaced as an out of warrenty repair for $179. Sorry, OP - I don't beleive your iPhone magically bent all by itself. Your claim has not an ounce of credibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.