Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
NASCAR =/= College Football. I don't know a single person that likes NASCAR.

Guess I just disagree. Maryland and Rutgers are pretty well known universities. Both recruit well in basketball.

Yeah, underdevelopment.

Meh. I like NYC. But it's like anywhere else on a typical night.

I guess because you don't think they are. :rolleyes:

Guess we'll see.

c'mon man :rolleyes: I'm from the midwest and have lived in NYC area for 6 years now. If you're telling people NYC is the same as Ohio in a saturday night you're lying to yourself.

rutgers is not really a football school They won't compete in the BIG they'll play with Illinois and Minnesota that's about it (also basketball schools)

An NASCAR isn't popular???? have you seen the 100,000+ crowds at their events???

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Watch and see how they play against Clemson.

Boy you sure nailed it. FSU really proved the Gators to be pretenders, too. The six 10+ win teams in the SEC sure do suck. This league is way down this year. Totally overrated.

Also...

A7YS3kICAAAdtzz.png:large

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
c'mon man :rolleyes: I'm from the midwest and have lived in NYC area for 6 years now. If you're telling people NYC is the same as Ohio in a saturday night you're lying to yourself.

rutgers is not really a football school They won't compete in the BIG they'll play with Illinois and Minnesota that's about it (also basketball schools)

An NASCAR isn't popular???? have you seen the 100,000+ crowds at their events???

Does Jeff Gordon represent your state? City? No.

I didn't say NASCAR, want popular, it's just not the same as college football.

I did not say that NYC is the same as Ohio on a Saturday night, but it's pretty much the same as most US cities.

You're making a fundamental error here and not seeing the big picture. Only 11% market share. The ACC and Big East have a much more difficult time going after that market share now, and there is much growth to be had by getting more people into college football.

Also, just because Rutgers and Maryland have been terrible doesn't mean they will always be terrible.

----------

Boy you sure nailed it. FSU really proved the Gators to be pretenders, too

Lol they had like 5 fumbles and Florida still squeaked by with 10 points. If you think this is the SEC of the last few years you're delusional.

B
. The six 10+ win teams in the SEC sure do suck. This league is way down this year. Totally overrated.

Where did I say they suck? Didn't. Down this year compared to previous years? Definitely. The South Carolina says more about the badness that is the ACC than the quality of the SEC.

The ole' SEC troll. Classic.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Lol they had like 5 fumbles and Florida still squeaked by with 10 points. If you think this is the SEC of the last few years you're delusional.

Where did I say they suck? Didn't. Down this year compared to previous years? Definitely. The South Carolina says more about the badness that is the ACC than the quality of the SEC.

The ole' SEC troll. Classic.

Just keep changing your argument. It definitely makes you seem like you know what you're taking about.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Just keep changing your argument. It definitely makes you seem like you know what you're taking about.

Where was my argument changed?

----------

Those six 10-win teams are related moreso to the bottom six of the conference going 8-40 in conference play than you'd like to realize.

Look at these OOC schedules:
UGA - Buffalo, FAU, GSU (FCS), GT
UF - Bowling Green, ULL, Jacksonville State (FCS), #10 FSU
USCe - East Carolina, Wofford (FCS), UAB, #11 Clemson
LSU - North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Towson (FCS)

Now, as you can see, UF and USCe get bumped by playing their rivalry game against a good opponent. Take a look at the other two teams - or the remaining games for USCe and UF.

If the SEC was such a tough conference to play in, there wouldn't have been undefeated teams in:

2009 (2 teams)

Six teams went undefeated in conference play in the last eight years, and it would have happened this year had they not added TAMU.

How dare you not bow down to the greatness that is the SEC and offer an opinion about he lack of depth of the conference this year

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
All I can say is haters gonna hate
Reality is only 3 teams still have a chance to be the BCS Champs
Dawgs have their shot, that's all they can ask for
Up to them what they do with it

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

I don't think they're all haters (just most :p), just that SEC has thrived on very weak out of conference scheduling and the bad teams on the SEC, just like any other conference, although their scheduling has been lucky to those at the top lately.

I would say the best SEC season (that i've seen) would've been the one with LSU winning the National Championship with 2 losses.

But hey it will all get clearer come national championship time, i don't think it's a sure thing the SEC champ wins, all the teams at the top have needed luck, or haven't played great all games.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Quite convenient for 3 teams to have a shot when its ND vs the winner of the SEC championship. Almost like a playoff

What if it were 3 teams from 3 conferences? Say like Utah a few years ago? Utah should have had a chance to play in the NC after winning out and then winning their bowl game...where they were the only undefeated team at the end of the season. Where was their shot?

Yes, I am still bitter about it. SEC bias at its finest then and even now in the media

I really hope the AP awards OSU the championship.

The crap BCS can do what they usually do, play to the SEC

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Chizik out at Auburn (deservedly so)

Openings at Tennesse, Kentucky, Arkansas and Auburn now (along with NC State)

Start the clock on Kiffin, he is a dead man walking

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Deservedly? Maybe, but foolish. He gets a multi-million contract buyout, and now Auburn has to try to find a new head coach with another NCAA investigation coming down the pipeline. No one in their right mind will want that job right now.

An SEC head coaching job, with or without sanctions is still a coveted position

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Deservedly? Maybe, but foolish. He gets a multi-million contract buyout, and now Auburn has to try to find a new head coach with another NCAA investigation coming down the pipeline. No one in their right mind will want that job right now.

This. Plus add in inflated expectations of being so closely removed from a national championship - a championship solely thanks to Cam Newton and Nick Fairley. They're going to have to hire an assistant with some sort of ties or an up and coming small school head coach, at best.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Chizik out at Auburn (deservedly so)

Openings at Tennesse, Kentucky, Arkansas and Auburn now (along with NC State)

Start the clock on Kiffin, he is a dead man walking

God I wouldn't mind seeing Skip Holtz walk. I also wouldn't mind USF picking up Kiffin. Any coach from any of those teams would be better than what USF has now.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Where was my argument changed?

Before South Carolina-Clemson, the Tigers were the better team and were going to prove SC to be a pretender:
Watch and see how they play against Clemson.

After South Carolina-Clemson, the Tigers suck and so does their whole league:
South Carolina says more about the badness that is the ACC than the quality of the SEC.

Your pre/post-game argument about Florida-Florida State was pretty much the same. Just keep moving the goal line, bud, you're fooling everyone. :rolleyes:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Dawgs are playing their best ball of the season

Offense has been clicking, Murray setting records, leads in pass efficiency
Ground game has been running well with Gurley and Marshall

Defense has regrouped and held last 5 opponents to their lowest score total of the season
Ogletree, Jarvis Jones and Rambo have been leading the charge

Nobody can truly predict how 18-22 year olds will react on any given Saturday

That said, I like the Dawgs’ chances
Should be a great game

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Before South Carolina-Clemson, the Tigers were the better team and were going to prove SC to be a pretender:

After South Carolina-Clemson, the Tigers suck and so does their whole league:

Before the game that's what I thought. I thought the ACC was better (at least those two teams).

Your pre/post-game argument about Florida-Florida State was pretty much the same. Just keep moving the goal line, bud, you're fooling everyone. :rolleyes:

How is my "argument changed" if I was merely proved incorrect in my analysis of the strength of those two teams and the ACC in general?

I still think the SEC is weak this year, especially compared with other years. Having Florida State lose (with like a million turnovers) doesn't really disprove anything. We clearly saw that the top of the ACC can compete with the SEC.

It's like saying the Cleveland Browns are better than the Steelers because they beat Pittsburgh when they had 8 turnovers.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
If anyone has interest, Johnny Football will be talking to the media for the first time this season at 2 CT. You can listen here.

Dawgs are playing their best ball of the season

Offense has been clicking, Murray setting records, leads in pass efficiency
Ground game has been running well with Gurley and Marshall

Defense has regrouped and held last 5 opponents to their lowest score total of the season
Ogletree, Jarvis Jones and Rambo have been leading the charge

Nobody can truly predict how 18-22 year olds will react on any given Saturday

That said, I like the Dawgs’ chances
Should be a great game

It'll be an interesting matchup, for sure. LSU and A&M provided the blueprint for how to attack Bama's offense. UGA is probably the only other team in the league that has the tools to exploit those areas.

How is my "argument changed" if I was merely proved incorrect in my analysis of the strength of those two teams and the ACC in general?

I still think the SEC is weak this year, especially compared with other years. Having Florida State lose (with like a million turnovers) doesn't really disprove anything. We clearly saw that the top of the ACC can compete with the SEC.

It seems like your argument changed because, before the game you told us how Clemson was going to prove how down the SEC was by pounding SC. After the Gamecocks (with backup QB and RB) beat the Tigers by double-digits, it was somehow proof that the ACC sucks? Maybe it's proof that the sixth place team in the SEC is just pretty good.

Same goes for Florida. It's not like FSU was just handing them the ball. Just like they've done all year, the Gators forced turnovers. It's only an anomaly if it's something they haven't done before.

You're also ignoring the fact that the worst offense in the SEC just pounded the #1 (statistically, at least) defense in the nation for almost 250 rushing yards, and that the game was a laugher at the end that only looked closer because FSU scored a TD with 0:00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.