Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
chickenlegs
macrumors member

Cannot create Windows 7 install disc

I have been trying to install Windows 7 on a 13" MB (late 2008) model with Lion installed and all software updated. I am using Bootcamp, but cannot get the MB to create a partition and read from the iso image on the DVD. I don't quite understand why the "Create a Windows 7 install disc" tick box in Bootcamp is greyed out - I have tow other options, "Download the latest Windows support files..." and "Install Windows". I have downloaded the support files and put these on a DVD, but I can't see how to create an install disc.
I have tried creating a partition of 40GB in BC and then clicking "Install" when the DVD is in the optical drive, but even though the DVD spins up, I get: "the installation disc cannot be found....." Hence the reason for seeing if I could create a USB installation disc.
Any help please?

Last edited by chickenlegs; Jan 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
chickenlegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlegs View Post
but even though the DVD spins up, I get: "the installation disc cannot be found....." Hence the reason for seeing if I could create a USB installation disc.
Any help please?
Is it a Windows 7 DVD?
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
chickenlegs
macrumors member

Yes, it is. However, I've just done some research and I am not now sure that my MB (late 2008 model) will accept a 64 bit Windows 7 disc. I do not have a 32bit version.
chickenlegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Just wondering if you need to burn an ISO image (a bootable version) I can't see why your Mac wouldn't accept that.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Guiyon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlegs View Post
Yes, it is. However, I've just done some research and I am not now sure that my MB (late 2008 model) will accept a 64 bit Windows 7 disc. I do not have a 32bit version.
Won't be a problem. I have the same laptop and it runs the x64 version of Windows 7 fine. How did you create the DVD? If you just dragged the ISO to the DVD, that's not going to work. You'll need to go into Disk Utility and burn the image to a DVD.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
jpine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiyon View Post
Won't be a problem. I have the same laptop and it runs the x64 version of Windows 7 fine. How did you create the DVD? If you just dragged the ISO to the DVD, that's not going to work. You'll need to go into Disk Utility and burn the image to a DVD.
Thanks man! I know this is an older thread, but you information solved my problem.
jpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac