Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctsoundguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Been nursing my old G5 iMac along, waiting for the new 21.5 iMac to finally be released, as that seemed like the best replacement path for me. Don't like the fact that I can't upgrade RAM myself on new iMac. The new Mini seems to have the dreaded "black screen" problem, as well as some other issues I've been reading here. And I would need to buy a monitor,etc.

I'm starting to think a refurb 2011 21.5 iMac may be the way to go. I can upgrade the RAM, and while I know there is a "fan" issue when upgrading the HD, if I got the 1TB drive, I doubt it would ever need upgrading. I think I may not be the only one thinking this as the 21.5 refurbs disappear from the Apple store immediately.
Seems like all my current product choices come with a catch or compromise.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
to be honest I was so disappointed with the new iMacs the day after the announcement I rushed out and bought the current 21.5''.

For me the fact that it was 99 quid more expensive, lacked an optical drive, user upgradable ram, firewire, SD slot at the back and a mega slow hard drive was more than enough reasons to settle for the previous gen. You also just know there are gonna be teething problems too, I reckon heat issues with the new ones.

I just put in 32GB RAM in my iMac and I am more than 110% certain that editing raw in Aperture would be so sucky performance wise with the useless 5400RPM drive on the new one 21.5''. Its become more like a disposable item and really a computer what costs over a grand should last a bit more than 18-24 months like a typical product cycle for an iPhone/iPad etc.

I paid £980 for mine and that included the Apple care too, so I couldn't go wrong whoop for University education discount :)

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
mac mini issues

Saying the Mini for 2012 has problems is an understatement. This is my second one this year. Thank God for applecare protection.
I would pass on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.