Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Still love my "road warrior"

I have posted a bit here and there on most of these threads. For those that still hold on to their PPCS.
I still have to say that I love my PB G4 1.5.:D I use this beast more than any other mac in my house. It went with my on my recent trip to Texas and did everything I asked of it. It sits on the couch with me for light browsing and write ups for game reviews. Email? Check. Document editing? Done. Light web browsing? Sure. Movies while I was on the flight? Yuppers and done. I understand gravitating toward the new shinnies. Hell, I did so myself when I bought my mini. But like many have said. There is something about these PPC's that keep the loyal on them. Keep them happy, proud and mucking on with them.

So most days? My PPC is my go to mac for everything that I do in a day. I can search jobs, a bit of youtube, TeamView back to my intel mac and linux boxes. ScreenShare out to my wife's MacBook, the only real thing I wish I had here would be Evernote and Wunderlist support. With a little bit of muckeriery Dropbox works for the time being.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
the only real thing I wish I had here would be Evernote and Wunderlist support. With a little bit of muckeriery Dropbox works for the time being.

I have an old version of Evernote that works fine and still operates well with my (more up to date) phone and laptop clients. Dropbox also, although an older version it still works perfectly on Leopard (for now...)

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
shweet!

I have an old version of Evernote that works fine and still operates well with my (more up to date) phone and laptop clients. Dropbox also, although an older version it still works perfectly on Leopard (for now...)

That is awesome. I guess my google-foo hasn't been up to part as of late then. I have not had any success in locating an evernote client that will work with 10.5.8 ppc. Guess it's time to start looking again.

Thanks!

powerpcguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Writing a dissertation! Desktop at home, office laptop, and laptop for traveling--dropbox and Word 2008 work perfectly well on Power PC machines. So, no need to change here for quite some time hopefully. Plus, I just really love the aesthetics of my MDD with old school 17" studio display. For some reason the Apple's "clear plastic phase" still seems great to me.

Here's a pic of Susan Sontag's old set-up... I love it.
sontag-large.jpg

choodalls

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
While it is still living my G5 is still in use. However, when my G4 died it got re-cycled by converting the case to micro ATX. My G5 will probably go the same way. I used a G4 conversion kit from http://www.thelaserhive.com and may well also get a G5 kit from them when the time comes......
The G5 by the way is a 2.7GHz dual with LCS and it is still working well.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Everything

Title says all. I use my Power Mac G5 way more than my i7 2.8 Ghz MacBook Pro Late 2011

chapmac

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
UK
Our G4 Imac is now exclusively an XBMC machine in the kids playroom, serving up mainly a diet of Postman Pat, Cloudbabies, and Abney and Teal and other assorted content for the under 5s.

Works great as none of this is HD, mostly off BBC Iplayer etc plus the occasional recording off the TV. The G4 form factor is perfect for this - it sits on top of a bookcase where they can't get hold of it and can swivel perfectly.

Subish

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
My Power Mac G5 2.3DP is now a server.

• my media via iTunes (looking into different way now it unsupported)
  • Host a few webs sites like forums and a Blacknova trader game. (Apache, PHP, MySQL) Which was pain to update from source.
  • converting dvds
  • shares my printers.
  • host my SVN for my current projects out side of work.
  • backup location from all my other computers in the house.
  • Personal Ventrilo Server

I'm sure I can find more things for it to do.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I used my Dual-Core 2GHz G5 as a server for a couple of months, but I found the Leopard Server extremely buggy, so I turned it into my main desktop computer after all.

I use it for basic web browsing via Safari with 1fatbastard's Flash 11 plugin, hosting my iTunes Library and syncing my iPods (fortunately neither of my iPods - 3rd gen Shuffle and 7th gen classic - need iTunes 10.7), also for media sharing across my home network, as a download station (long live the uTorrent), and to store everything my 128GB Air can't hold (I have two 1,5TB WD Black drives in it set in mirrored RAID).

Honestly, when at home, I usually leave my '12 Air in my schoolbag or hooked up to a charger and rather use my G5 instead. With 8gis of RAM it runs very smooth and is capable of carrying out most of the tasks it throw at it - as long as the needed app is PPC compatible. For the rest I use the Air - obviously. Anyway, I my PPC Mac and I'm planning on keeping it as long as it works.

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
My MBP charger exploded couple days ago and while waiting for replacement I have used my PowerBook G4 as my laptop. It is quite slow honestly and simple tasks such as playing YouTube -videos (by using a web browser which I don't do), browsing a web page with GIF -animations or performing Google image search will bring it down to it's knees and make you familiar with the beach ball. It is still great machine when doing something where the G4 is not the bottleneck.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I gave my iMac G5 to my parents and they still use it. Its no upgradable and really slow, but they don't know any better. ;)

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
My MBP charger exploded couple days ago and while waiting for replacement I have used my PowerBook G4 as my laptop. It is quite slow honestly and simple tasks such as playing YouTube -videos (by using a web browser which I don't do), browsing a web page with GIF -animations or performing Google image search will bring it down to it's knees and make you familiar with the beach ball. It is still great machine when doing something where the G4 is not the bottleneck.

Google images works great for me(in Camino anyway) and I use mactubes for youtube.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Well Camino seems to work dramatically better for Google image search! Yes, I also use something else than regular Flash plugin for YouTube (YouView).

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
My dual processor 1.8ghz PowerMac G5, with 4gb RAM & the GeForce 6800 Ultra is used for everything. You name it, web-surfing, email, media/file/FTP server, iTunes, Spotify, word processing, keynote presentations, games, photo & video editing, Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro 7, Windows XP in Virtual PC 7, torrents & more. I run & do absolutely everything on my G5 & plan to do so for the forceable future. I love my G5 and have absolutely no intent in jumping on the main machine Intel bandwagon anytime soon.

photo-3-1.jpg

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
My dual processor 1.8ghz PowerMac G5, with 4gb RAM & the GeForce 6800 Ultra is used for everything. You name it, web-surfing, email, media/file/FTP server, iTunes, Spotify, word processing, keynote presentations, games, photo & video editing, Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro 7, Windows XP in Virtual PC 7, torrents & more. I run & do absolutely everything on my G5 & plan to do so for the forceable future. I love my G5 and have absolutely no intent in jumping on the main machine Intel bandwagon anytime soon.

How does VPC7 run? What is your emulated CPU?

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I use my iBook for just about everything. . .VLC/MPlayer, MacTubes, Camino, Word Processing, Web Surfing, AVC, Spotify, iCloud (via Fluid). Don't spend much time with streaming video and, if this were a priority for me, I'd really need to think about upgrading. Got a replacement battery and, between that and the original, I get ~4.5 - 5.5 hours, depending on what I'm doing. Replaced Airport Extreme with a WiFi signal booster and get super range and power. Have yet to have a deal-breaker moment when I know it's time to move to Intel, but have had enough days in which I think about it. Love what my iBook does too much to leave it behind or place it in a home.:)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
How does VPC7 run? What is your emulated CPU?

I use vpc7 as well, mostly to play the really old magic: the gathering PC game. It runs about as good as a 7-10 year old commuter runs. I dislike being limited to 1gb ram though. I used to keep a dual P/// 1ghz with 1gb ram for playing it, but I have retired it to a shelf in my garage.

----------

iCloud (via Fluid).

I just use iClouds web interface. Is there a way to make it integrated like ML?

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
My 2005 or 2006 eMac 1.25 Ghz 1GB was passed down to my mom last year when her 2005 Compaq v4000 hinges broke and wouldn't turn on anymore. Complete POS, as I recall the last Compaq we owned had those very same problems before it officially wouldn't turn on anymore. Hinges go first, hard drives second, power jack last.

Anyways, it's her main (and only) computer. She gets web browsing (G4 optimized Camino runs best), facebook, msn, mail (G4 optimized thunderbird), word processing (I believe she has Office and iWork), solitaire, and of course Spotify. This machine had some problems in the past where it would just shut down, I look inside and cleaned it up. No bad caps, oddly enough changing the power cord every once and a while would fix it. She could use a speedier HDD on it too. But for now we're working on getting 2gb of ram in that tank.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
My friend got my interested -- I've never owned a G5 before, and was curious to see how the system performs, so I got one. I found a G5 Quad on eBay in pretty much mint condition, it's the late 2005 model but was produced in September 2006, so it has the revision 2 single-pump LCS system (which he recommended). It came with 8GB/500GB HD/7800GT Graphics. I expanded the RAM to 16GB with OWC memory. I also added an Apple Airport Runway card which I purchased from eBay.

I've only had the machine two weeks, but I must say I am impressed. It runs very well and is very responsive and fast. It does not feel as fast as the Mac Pros I have owned, or my 27" i7 iMac, Retina MacBook Pro...but it feels like a PowerPC machine, and not an Intel....because it is!! And it can run AppleWorks!! Whoot!! Yes, and of course PowerPC native applications, which Lion or Mountain Lion Intel Macs cannot.

I've installed Photoshop CS3 and Dreamweaver on it, Office 2004, a host of web browsers and other various free apps, and I hope to try out Bryce 5.5 on it this week and do some 3D Landscape rendering. I bet the thing will be fast. I don't like Bryce on the Intel Macs, the older versions are much better in my opinion.

My G5 is sitting in my office downtown at work looking good right now :) Sitting right next to my Macintosh IIfx on the desk.

WAIT -- I have a picture!!

powermacg5.jpg

Very awesome machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.