Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The current capacities are purely profit driven IMO. Yep some limits do exist within the tech, but we've been at 64gig for 3.5yrs now. I just ordered a MicroSD card for my phone, 64gb for $42 from amazon, that's as much as my iPad has, and I think I pay about $200 extra to go from 16gb to 64gb (apple tax).

I would have like to see 128gb option for iPad 4. That being said, on ay to day my iPad is about half full itch apps, no music. I use the remainder of the storage when I go traveling overseas on plane. Handy for a 2bit airline with no inflight entertainment like united....

If you don't like paying apple tax, just manage your storage and delete stuff u don't use much. I was able to squeeze into a 16gb mini for a week. Difficult but not impossible.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
AT&T Elevate 4G Hotspot has a SD card slot and gives access to it through WebDAV over wifi. It's a workaround. Someone kickstart a better solution.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Are you also afraid of the horseless carriage?

Media doesn't matter. Just watch what is there. Thousands of titles, just pick one.

No one is talking about documents here, but media.

Not sure what that first comment is all about.

It doesn't matter to you, its pretty clear it matters to other people including myself. Would rather choose what I want to watch (buy) than allow a company to dictate what is available to me. Freedom of choice, you don't get that with streaming (not currently).

Besides my comments are about cloud storage as a replacement for local storage.. So yes documents and other files apply as well.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I stand by what I said.

I'd like someone to show me how they are consuming more than 55Gb of media on the iPad between opportunities to sync...

Would I take 128Gb? sure. but is it ruining the iPad experience or alienating a huge market by being limited to 64Gb? Heck no.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
iCloud, Dropbox, SugarSync, ect...

are you using more than 60Gb? I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

I will be happy with 128Gb or more, my iTunes library is 150Gb, without counting apps, and some videos I have. I definitely want more storage capacity.

Add to that if I want I have my photos available a, I can go on...

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I stand by what I said.

I'd like someone to show me how they are consuming more than 55Gb of media on the iPad between opportunities to sync...

Would I take 128Gb? sure. but is it ruining the iPad experience or alienating a huge market by being limited to 64Gb? Heck no.

It would be a cheap way to show an "upgrade" next time around though. And the crowd that wants more storage is a crowd that's much more likely to upgrade over one or two generations than the general iPad user base.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I stand by what I said.

It's not just about opportunities to sync, it's about not having to sync every few days just to keep a selection of stuff on your device.

64gb is enough for me, but I wouldn't like to go lower. Typically, I have 4 episodes of 6 shows on there, amounting to roughly 30gb (1.2gb mkvs usually). A few movies, 10gb. The rest is apps/podcasts/misc.

I get lots of huge breaks in the middle of nowhere, I can easily watch 3 shows or so in a 12 hour shift. These are the same shows I watch at home via my mbp&AppleTV, and at the gym on my phone on the treadmill/cross trainer etc. Meaning, if I only had the space for 1 or 2 episodes of a few shows, combined with watching them at home/gym, I'd have to be constantly syncing. Personally, I like to spend as little time "managing" my devices as possible, and instead actually "using" them. I usually only have to sync once a week or so, which is great.

As said previously, I have absolutely no desire to watch video via the cloud. Even somewhere as small as the UK, the provision of stable high speed wifi/data on the go, free or otherwise, is pathetic and an exercise in frustration, buffering and sd quality if you're lucky. No thanks. I actually get great data speeds via Three, but I'd hate to have to rely on it for video, urgh. Similarly, my gym is a cave, every time I leave the gym my phone goes crazy with emails/sms' that haven't penetrated into the bunker.

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Yep, I'm at 61GB here. Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean that no one does. There is clearly demand for more storage even in the era of cloud services. Until cellular data is cheap and unlimited, there will be a demand for storage.

I have less than a GB of space on my 64GB iPad.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Available every where? No.
As fast as local storage? No.
Reliable speeds? No.
Free to use? No.

Cloud is crap and is only suitable as a backup option, we are far away from cloud becoming just as reliable and cheap as local storage. With wireless providers trying to nickel and dime their members we aren't going to be there any time soon.

You want to know what has happened between 2009, when 64gb was introduced and now? Retina doubled apps, iTunes went 256kbps audio and high definition video has flourished.

Yet we are still at capacities suited for small apps, 128kbps music and standard definition video.

This. The cloud bites.

I believe the only reason Apple hasn't given us a file system and memory slot is because computer sales would drop like a rock.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
This. The cloud bites.

I believe the only reason Apple hasn't given us a file system and memory slot is because computer sales would drop like a rock.

That would make sense if a large part of Apple's business was computers. It's not. It's iPhone 1st, and iPad 2nd. Having external, removable memory is just not Jobsian enough for them.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010

This makes sense, if you look at profit margin on a per unit basis. However, the Mac division's profit in USD only make up a very small percentage of Apple's total profits in USD.

----------

I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

I have over a TB of TV Shows that I access every couple of weeks. The Retina iPad is the device I go to when I'm not at home. I would gladly pay for a 128GB device for $150 more, or an additional $300 for a 256 GB device.

hval

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010

What about those of us who don't get an opportunity to sync every day? I might go three months without an opportunity to sync. With no wifi, no physical connection it just is not possible to use the cloud. You would be surprised how many people there are in a similar situation. At least some non Apple devices do allow for additional memory cards, or external devices. I can get an external device for an iPad but it only allows data transfer one way. Also, by having an additional device you are having to carry another device with all that entails.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
What about those of us who don't get an opportunity to sync every day? I might go three months without an opportunity to sync.

Yup. It's a combination of people assuming everyone lives in cities and work in offices, and the age old "I don't want it, nor does it apply to me, therefore it's pointless" attitude so prevalent amongst narrow minded numpty boys on the t'internet.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
This makes sense, if you look at profit margin on a per unit basis. However, the Mac division's profit in USD only make up a very small percentage of Apple's total profits in USD.

Correct. Awakener made an irrelevant comparison.

What about those of us who don't get an opportunity to sync every day? I might go three months without an opportunity to sync. With no wifi, no physical connection it just is not possible to use the cloud. You would be surprised how many people there are in a similar situation. At least some non Apple devices do allow for additional memory cards, or external devices. I can get an external device for an iPad but it only allows data transfer one way. Also, by having an additional device you are having to carry another device with all that entails.

Who? And where? At least to sync to a laptop with a 1TB drive, even if you don't have cloud access?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
iCloud, Dropbox, SugarSync, ect...

are you using more than 60Gb? I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

Those are nice if you have a data connection. But I just have wifi and would like to store more than one issue of various magazines on here. They take up 500-750MB per issue, so I could easily use 128GB. People still buy the iPod classic for the same reason.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The current capacities are purely profit driven IMO. Yep some limits do exist within the tech, but we've been at 64gig for 3.5yrs now. I just ordered a MicroSD card for my phone, 64gb for $42 from amazon, that's as much as my iPad has, and I think I pay about $200 extra to go from 16gb to 64gb (apple tax).

I would have like to see 128gb option for iPad 4. That being said, on ay to day my iPad is about half full itch apps, no music. I use the remainder of the storage when I go traveling overseas on plane. Handy for a 2bit airline with no inflight entertainment like united....

If you don't like paying apple tax, just manage your storage and delete stuff u don't use much. I was able to squeeze into a 16gb mini for a week. Difficult but not impossible.
2012 - 3.5 years = June 2008 :rolleyes:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm completely full on my iPhone right now, so even though I can't figure out what you'd need that for on an iPad, I can totally see it on an iPhone. Wish I had a 128GB iPhone. Or just a freaking SD slot, even if it's only for music. That would solve my problem.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
I could go for 128GB. I listen to a lot of music (I currently have 35GB of it on my iPhone) and am not around wifi I can stream with during the day and I don't have unlimited data. In five months, $20/month for the next tier data would pay for the higher capacity iPad.

Or you could get a wifi-enabled harddrive for the same $100 (at least you could have last weekend) and pay $0.20 per GB instead of over $1.50

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Or you could get a wifi-enabled harddrive for the same $100 (at least you could have last weekend) and pay $0.20 per GB instead of over $1.50

However, I want to be able to listen to my music without having to carry around an external drive. I have the 64Gb iPhone and I'm already down to 4GB free. This is without magazines and the larger iPad apps. If all I wanted that drive for was video playback then I would agree with you, but I currently can't stick my 900MB of Zinio, 10GB of Photos, etc. on that external drive. I will pay the extra for the convenience of having all my stuff with me without the additonal bulk and weight of an external drive. Not to mention, I don't want to have an additional deivce I have to always make sure the battery is topped off on.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I stand by what I said.

You don't travel much do you? I don't either compared to some, but I do it enough to understand why streaming isn't an option. Every airport I've been to has both terrible WiFi speeds and 3G speeds on AT&T. The networks are just overwhelmed by the number of people trying to access them. Hotel WiFi is also usually hit or miss. Not to mention the fact that streaming does you no good while up in the air.

As for your question about consuming all 55GB between syncs, get real. I also doubt many people actually do that as well. But that's not the point. Even before the days of streaming, do you really think people would consume all 80GB or 120GB of content on their iPods? But they still wanted that much storage. I don't know what I'll be in the mood for later today, let alone a week from now, which is the typical length of the trips I take. So I need a wide variety of content available to me while I'm away.

All of this was illustrated during Thanksgiving week. I took a road trip from Houston to Colorado. You're not going to be able to stream content while driving through some rinky-dink town in the Texas panhandle with a population of around 200.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that a huge market is being alienated. But it is frustrating that the iPad 4 has the same storage limits as the first gen iPad. I also find it a little maddening that when Apple added 64GB to the iPhone, that they charged $100 more for it. I thought memory prices have been going down for years now. So why are we stuck with the same capacities at the same price points that we've had since the iPhone 3GS?

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
Would anybody fill more than. 64GB?

Absolutely. I travel a lot and high data roaming charges mean whatever I might want to watch had best be stored on my iPad. I have less than 1GB left of my 64 now; my 160 classic was never less than full despite the fact it was only music and SD video!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.