Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you upgrade from an ipad 3 to an ipad 4?

• No, I kept my ipad 3

Votes: 54 49.5%
  • Yes, I upgraded to an ipad 4

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Also, post whatever differences you may have noticed. I have noticed less lag while opening app folders, increased browsing speed, better frame rate during games, and just all around a very snappy and fluid experience.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
keeping it -waiting for iPad 5 it will be much easier decision as I always skip one cycle.

I use mine mostly for media consumption, having tried both side-by-side I can't really tell the speed difference in application launches or web browsing. Only thing I miss is LTE for my country but I'm not really using it away from home as much as I thought.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Also, post whatever differences you may have noticed. I have noticed less lag while opening app folders, increased browsing speed, better frame rate during games, and just all around a very snappy and fluid experience.

I upgraded but i will upgrade to 5, 6 etc anyway. :) It is great in anything, ipad3 is slightly slower, wifi speed is better on ipad4, using skype with new front camera is much better on ipad4, lighting seem preferable type. So, it is done and cost just $200 since I sold ipad3 for $400.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I upgraded but i will upgrade to 5, 6 etc anyway. :) It is great in anything, ipad3 is slightly slower, wifi speed is better on ipad4, using skype with new front camera is much better on ipad4, lighting seem preferable type. So, it is done and cost just $200 since I sold ipad3 for $400.

I was pissed off when Apple released the 4th gen. but I finally bit the bullet and bought it. Everybody knows what's upgraded in this generation and I'm not gonna say everyone of them again for the sake of justifying my purchase. However the improvement in WiFi speed is quite significant (65Mbps -> 150Mbps), which was most obvious when I restored the device through iCloud, it was fast! Also I am outside of the US so the 3rd gen. didn't support the LTE network in my country. I can say the improvement is very tangible.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I was pissed off when Apple released the 4th gen. but I finally bit the bullet and bought it. Everybody knows what's upgraded in this generation and I'm not gonna say everyone of them again for the sake of justifying my purchase. However the improvement in WiFi speed is quite significant (65Mbps -> 150Mbps), which was most obvious when I restored the device through iCloud, it was fast! Also I am outside of the US so the 3rd gen. didn't support the LTE network in my country. I can say the improvement is very tangible.

Yes, it is much improved wifi. I have dead spots in my house before and not now, speedtest on same spots showing large improvements. So, yes ipad3 is very good tablet but outdated in many points. I am sure iOS7 will effect performance and ipad3 will be on brakes running it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes, it is much improved wifi. I have dead spots in my house before and not now, speedtest on same spots showing large improvements. So, yes ipad3 is very good tablet but outdated in many points. I am sure iOS7 will effect performance and ipad3 will be on brakes running it.

That was the single biggest change I noticed. Also, the biggest downside for the mini. I will be in the same spot in my house and get great wifi with the 4 and a lose connection with the mini.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I upgraded to the 4 from the 3 since I was within the return period. At first it was a $50 difference but after Black Friday it came out cheaper by $15 to get the 4.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
At the moment, the 4gen isn't offering me anything that would provide a major improvement to my workflow - so I'm sticking with my 3gen, and I'm very happy with it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I sold the wife's iPad 3 with the intention of getting a 4. But after thinking it through I backed out because the iPad 4 just feels like a placeholder for a much better iPad update. So for the price of her one iPad 3 we got two iPad Mini's.

If this unexpected update taught us anything it's that we no longer need to get sucked into the incremental upgrade cycle.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I own the iPad 1 and the iPad 4.

Perhaps I'll upgrade to the iPad 6/7 in a few years time.

msaghirmd

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
The ipad 3 sucked so badly that I forced my sisters x2, my wife, my brother, myself, my friend to sell their pos ipad 3 on eBay and upgrade to ipad 4. Ipad 3 can't even do iBooks right.

Also despite saying they didn't need it (females especially) all thanked me after having ipad 4 for a few days

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
The ipad 3 sucked so badly that I forced my sisters x2, my wife, my brother, myself, my friend to sell their pos ipad 3 on eBay and upgrade to ipad 4. Ipad 3 can't even do iBooks right.

Also despite saying they didn't need it (females especially) all thanked me after having ipad 4 for a few days

I upgraded for a one connector world... And the specs.

To the quote, what functionality was messed up by the 3 that the 4 has fixed, specifically. Just curious is all.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
While I don't doubt that the iPad 4 is an improvement over the 3 -- I haven't had any issues with my 3 on any game I currently own. I don't have an issue with iBooks either.

I will say the battery is a pain to charge, but as I understand it the same issue persists on the 4. I'm gonna skip this one and wait for the 5. I've only had the 3 for 7 months, and upgrading now from the 3 is a waste of money in my opinion.

Since the iPad mini was released with essentially the same processor as the iPad 3 and 2 I really don't think developers are going to push the envelope and take full advantage of the increased performance of the 4 just yet. In a year that will probably change though and that's when my iPad will go up for sale.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Keep my iPad 3, this was the easiest decision ever.

my thoughts exactly. this will be the first iPad i won't buy. everyone knows the next version on deck is gonna be thinner lighter and more modern looking.

if you have the first gen or ipad 2 and want to update i get it but iPad 3 owners really see no need to.

----------

in this case with LTE i do see some sense in upgrading just for that.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I think the 3 was a place holder for the 4. The 4 gpu finally suits the retina screen.

I sold the wife's iPad 3 with the intention of getting a 4. But after thinking it through I backed out because the iPad 4 just feels like a placeholder for a much better iPad update. So for the price of her one iPad 3 we got two iPad Mini's.

If this unexpected update taught us anything it's that we no longer need to get sucked into the incremental upgrade cycle.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Sold my 3rd-gen 16GB WIFI + case for $500 a few days before 4-gen launched.
Just bought iPad 4 for $419 at Staples during Black Friday ($469-$50 coupon).

That's how I like to upgrade.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I am going to stick with the 3. I know I could have traded it in to Amazon/Gazelle and got a big chunck of my money back, but I didn't think it was worth the effort or difference in price for me given the way I use the iPad. Obviously, the 4 is better, but I know new computers come out all the time that are better, but I manage to live with what I have if what I have serves my current needs.

Of course, I will consider the next version, but I have no idea if I will be pursuaded to switch. I had an Original iPad and the 3, so I usually don't buy every year.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

iBooks worked fine on mine.

Why are you 'forcing' people to upgrade?

Anyhow, I sold my iPad 3 and got a Mini.

I'd call it an upgrade, but I know others wouldn't.

But it's the best iPad i've ever had so i'm calling it an upgrade :)

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I 'upgraded' to a 4 in a round-about way.

I purchased a 3, but contiually felt like I needed a MacBook Air or Pro. So I didn't use it, or purchase any apps for it, and eventually sold it. I then purchased a MacBook Air, which never left my desk in the 12 days I had it. I didn't really feel like I could bring it anywhere, and I missed having the ipad on the couch/bed, etc. Basically, the MBA was overkill for me. I have an iMac for any 'heavy' lifting.

So here I am with my iPad 4, BT Keyboard, and a nice collection of apps, and I couldn't be happier.(Textastic sold me...Only thing I really need a 'computer' for is scripting... but I can upload to my iMac and SSH to run stuff)

Also, in comparison to the 3(my wife still has her iPad 3), some things are definitely faster. Opening apps, Loading web pages, No studders here and there. I wouldn't say its worth upgrading over, but there is definitely a performance gain. I'm not sure if there is really any performance gains in any apps other than a bit more fluidity and slight faster page loads.

apolkowski

macrumors regular

What kind of internet connection do you have so you could see the difference in 65 -> 150 Mbits WiFi speed in iCloud restore process?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.