Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrJB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Just received an AT&T refurb that I ordered Friday.
No chips, scratches or bends.
Screen is perfect, no scratches.
Very happy with my order.

DrJB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
The box is an iPhone 5 box with a white sticker on the back, but covered by an AT&T refurb sleeve.
According to Apple, warranty is thru 9/13

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
The box is an iPhone 5 box with a white sticker on the back, but covered by an AT&T refurb sleeve.
According to Apple, warranty is thru 9/13

Interesting. I wonder why Apple is lopping two months off the warranty? I guess they are counting from initial activiation.

Did you get, or are you getting, AppleCare+?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Interesting. I wonder why Apple is lopping two months off the warranty? I guess they are counting from initial activiation.

Did you get, or are you getting, AppleCare+?

Just call them and say you just bought it. I think they ask for the receipt. Then they will extend it back to a year.

Carla748

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Mine arrived today also. White Iphone 5 16 GB for $99 and its flawless! I was surprised that FedEx just left it at my front door- I was home and they never rang the doorbell. I'm glad someone did not steal it!

Last edited:

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Mine arrived today also. Iphone 5 16 GB for $99 and its flawless! I was surprised that FedEx just left it at my front door- I was home and they never rang the doorbell. I'm glad someone did not steal it!

What color did you all order cause I didn't get mine yet? (Ordered black) I Checked the order status and it still says processing. Also, did it come with the earphones?

Carla748

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
What color did you all order cause I didn't get mine yet? (Ordered black) I Checked the order status and it still says processing. Also, did it come with the earphones?

It's White and came with earphones - everything was new in the box.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Just call them and say you just bought it. I think they ask for the receipt. Then they will extend it back to a year.

I doubt they will extend it for the year.

In Apple's database, they can see exactly when the phone was initially activated. So it would not matter when it was purchased.

I am pretty sure these ATT refubs are store returns and ATT's inventory was piling up.

On my phone, they knew exactly when my phone was activated and exactly when AppleCare+ was added, i.e. the entire history of the phone in Apple's data base.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Just got my iPhone 5 refurb in as well. No physical defects that I can see.

The only problem I'm having is activating it. Apparently I have to call a number from a different phone (I'm using my old nexus one) and have the iPhone activated. I thought it would be an automated process but apparently you have to get a hold of an actual person to activate it. And just my luck, they're all so busy that it won't even put me on hold. Kinda lame really. :confused:

Carla748

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Just got my iPhone 5 refurb in as well. No physical defects that I can see.

The only problem I'm having is activating it. Apparently I have to call a number from a different phone (I'm using my old nexus one) and have the iPhone activated. I thought it would be an automated process but apparently you have to get a hold of an actual person to activate it. And just my luck, they're all so busy that it won't even put me on hold. Kinda lame really. :confused:

I activated mine on line with AT&T . It took about a minute and started working in less than five minutes. Directions were in a pamphlet inside the mailing box.

Easy and fast!

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I activated mine on line with AT&T . It took about a minute and started working in less than five minutes. Directions were in a pamphlet inside the mailing box.

Easy and fast!

Yeah I went online to do the activation, and this is what it says:

"ACT005: We apologize for any inconvenience. iPhone users must connect to iTunes to activate service. All other users click here to register your mobile number and update your new equipment. If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500."

And I've already activated my iPhone via iTunes, at least I went through the setup process... seems like something is wrong with Apple's/AT&T's servers?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I doubt they will extend it for the year.
the guy you quoted wrote "extend it back to a year" so i'm not sure if you're saying that you doubt that they'll extend it another year or just until the 1 year mark from being repurchased, but anyways im pretty sure they'll make it so that it's one year from when the OP purchased, instead of two months less. :)

Carla748

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
the guy you quoted wrote "extend it back to a year" so i'm not sure if you're saying that you doubt that they'll extend it another year or just until the 1 year mark from being repurchased, but anyways im pretty sure they'll make it so that it's one year from when the OP purchased, instead of two months less. :)

I registered my refurb iPhone 5 with apple.com , after it was registered it gave me my warranty info . Mine is under warranty until Nov 1st, 2013..

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
But wait, I thought it was "too soon" for refurbs????

Guess I was right in saying that thanks to the OCD crowd returning dozens at a time in the hunt for the "perfect" phone that it would greatly accelerate the process. What a shocker. Glad we can put those hysterics to rest...

If AT&T has em, how many refurbs do you think APPLE has by now???:eek:

White boxes are 99% refurb. No reason to cling to the hope and prayer you are still getting a new one if you have to swap your used phone in the hopes of getting one without a teensy tiny scratch that you can't see without magnification lol. You aren't.

For the millionth time though, it's no big deal. As confirmed here, Apple makes the best refurbs (and they likely supplied them to AT&T, if not kudos to the big A for the job!)

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
But wait, I thought it was "too soon" for refurbs????

Guess I was right in saying that thanks to the OCD crowd returning dozens at a time in the hunt for the "perfect" phone that it would greatly accelerate the process. What a shocker. Glad we can put those hysterics to rest...

If AT&T has em, how many refurbs do you think APPLE has by now???:eek:

White boxes are 99% refurb. No reason to cling to the hope and prayer you are still getting a new one if you have to swap your used phone in the hopes of getting one without a teensy tiny scratch that you can't see without magnification lol. You aren't.

For the millionth time though, it's no big deal. As confirmed here, Apple makes the best refurbs (and they likely supplied them to AT&T, if not kudos to the big A for the job!)

There is no way a white box obtained the week after or day of release was a refurb. Two months after release is an entirely different situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.