Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
As stated above. Do you think Apple will make a convertible macbook air, like the surface pro? I'm enticed by the surface pro because it's really an all in one solution. However, since it would be 1st gen, I'm pretty hesitant since Microsoft has no history with hardware.

Btw, I'm a pc user but I also love my iphone 5 and I have a TF300. So I love all 3 OS. I would love to buy a retina display ipad but the lack of a file explorer and usb/micro sd/hdmi turns me off. If only the Macbook Air and Ipad can combine to be a macbook touch? or a macpad? lol.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
These sort of posts really don't make much sense,we know whether there will be a touch or not as much as you do-but for the sake of it,Don't think it happeneing,as you said,surface-one in all solution,it hardly excels anywhere and instead ends up being in no man's land,the reviews tell the same story,every gadget has a specific purpose,mixing and matching to create all-in-one aint a very good idea IMO.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
These sort of posts really don't make much sense,we know whether there will be a touch or not as much as you do-but for the sake of it,Don't think it happeneing,as you said,surface-one in all solution,it hardly excels anywhere and instead ends up being in no man's land,the reviews tell the same story,every gadget has a specific purpose,mixing and matching to create all-in-one aint a very good idea IMO.

The Pro version of surface is not out yet. I'm really excited for it but since I have a windows 7 ultrabook, i'd love to check out Mac OS. There's nothing I hate more than transferring files over to an ipad. For example, my mum is about to take a 24hr flight and I want to put some movies into her ipad. What a pain. Can't just drag and drop. I guess if Apple doesn't produce something like the surface pro in a year, i'd go Microsoft. Trying to give apple a chance to take my money. lol.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
NOT A CHANGE nbaWong.

Don't you find those "convertibles" kludgy? No, OK, that's normal for Windows folks.

Apple is about elegance. It's about simplicity. It's the insistence to have a one-button iPhone, a one-button mouse when everybody else is doing otherwise.

And for the often asked question, Is there going to be a touchscreen Macbook? (SEARCH, asked everyday). Jobs once said they tried it, a lot, and at the end of the day they found it good for demo, but tires arm for real use.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Nope. Mac OSX is not designed for touch use. Just look at the size of things like the window control buttons, toolbar buttons, and menus. It just isn't a finger-friendly environment.

The only way something like this would happen is if it basically ran iOS, or let you switch back and forth.

Also the physical mechanism of convertible laptops is a problem. The more rugged designs just fold the screen all the way back, but that leaves you holding the keyboard with your fingers when using it in 'tablet mode'. The ones that swivel the screen around to fix that problem are more flimsy.

I think Apple will stick with notebooks designed to be used with trackpads and keyboards, and iPads designed to be used with touch.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
The surface has a touch or type keyboard that barely adds bulk and weight. I'm sure someone will be able to figure this out. Matter of when, not how.

Why does the macbook touch have to be clunky? Is there only 1 button on the macbook? I'm not trying to make a super ipad. I'm trying to make a touchscreen macbook and there's a difference.

If the keyboard was a smart cover type, then maybe when it's folded back, there can be a magnetic sensor that disables it.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
iOS = OS X watered down/touch friendly. It was even originally introduced as OS X (See Original iPhone Keynote).

Sure mate, thats why i can download files and move then across my ipad with file manager, install 3rd party software or even do basic stuff like use my browser of choice.....

You must not do much with your macs if you consider ios just a watered down/touch friendly osx.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Sure mate, thats why i can download files and move then across my ipad with file manager, install 3rd party software or even do basic stuff like use my browser of choice.....

You must not do much with your macs if you consider ios just a watered down/touch friendly osx.

iPhone OS (now iOS) was originally introduced as a touch friendly version of OS X. In the original iPhone keynote, Jobs himself stated "it even runs OS X!" as one of the main points of the new iPhone.

What kind of files do you download on such a regular basis (that also don't transfer through iTunes) that you need them on your iPad at all times?

You can install 3rd party software. It's called the App Store.

You can also use your browser of choice if the app has been created for iOS (see FireFox, Chrome.)

Your lack of knowledge is laughable.

Also, here's some reading. Maybe you'll learn something!:

iOS is derived from OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system. iOS is Apple's mobile version of the OS X operating system used on Apple computers.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Wow, this thread got out of hand quickly. Like I said, I'm not an apple hater or microsoft lover. I use 3 of them (apple, android, windows) regularly. All I want is an all in one. I thought that would make sense. And if there is such a product from apple, i'm pretty sure, some of the fanboys here who are so defensive about apple will proudly own one. Anyway, good luck with your lives. I think i'll stop "discussing" then, since that is clearly NOT the function of a forum.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Wow, this thread got out of hand quickly. Like I said, I'm not an apple hater or microsoft lover. I use 3 of them (apple, android, windows) regularly. All I want is an all in one. I thought that would make sense. And if there is such a product from apple, i'm pretty sure, some of the fanboys here who are so defensive about apple will proudly own one. Anyway, good luck with your lives. I think i'll stop "discussing" then, since that is clearly NOT the function of a forum.

I think the idea will be great and just looking at the new itunes 11 its clear a touch enabled mac is coming, some people are just close minded until apple approve the idea lol.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
I think the idea will be great and just looking at the new itunes 11 its clear a touch enabled mac is coming, some people are just close minded until apple approve the idea lol.

You hit the nail on the head. If Apple is not the "creator" then it's stupid or worthless according to the fanboys. You just saw how they reacted here, it's typical on these forums.

And yes, Jobs said so many things, like "who watches videos on a small screen", criticizing the psp and devices alike, and then we know what happened.

So... back to your initial question/post... my guess is: yes, there will be a Macbook touch. Not anytime soon, but I don't see any reason why not. Seems to be the present/future.

----------

NOT A CHANGE nbaWong.

Don't you find those "convertibles" kludgy? No, OK, that's normal for Windows folks.

Apple is about elegance. It's about simplicity. It's the insistence to have a one-button iPhone, a one-button mouse when everybody else is doing otherwise.

And for the often asked question, Is there going to be a touchscreen Macbook? (SEARCH, asked everyday). Jobs once said they tried it, a lot, and at the end of the day they found it good for demo, but tires arm for real use.

As much as I love my MBR, my iPhone, iPad, etc, I can also tell u that a 1 button mouse might be the staple of stubbornness from Apple, and not the staple of elegance. It's funny to see "us" doing magic to do the right click, which we definitively need in day to day functions.

Ey, don't kill me for not drinking the kool aid, but I can also tell u that I tried the latest Sony notebook touchscreen with Windows 8 and no, it's not "a bag of hurt" or anything similar. It's a pretty good, solid, nice, clean, concept.

Will I buy it? No. That doesnt mean I can't recognize when something else, different than Apple is good.

On that note... I remember when someone stepped in my office with a carbon-fiber black IBM thinkpad in 2000. And every Apple fan was like "ohh whatever that's just plastic". Now I read that Apple might be exploring carbon fiber....

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
I haven't seen anyone suggesting the modbook. (http://www.modbook.com)

The modbook is a macbook pro modified with a touch screen just as the OP suggested.

I don't know the actual specifications of the device, since I am not into that, but I am somehow sure that the modbook has a pressure screen.

Sorry if this has been said, I kinda rushed into all posts.

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
NOT A CHANGE nbaWong.

"Good for demo, but tires arm for real use."

Read Above: All you need to know.

Steve Jobs was a genius.

Bill Gates, not so much.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Wow, this thread got out of hand quickly.

Really? U been doing this since 2008. U SHOULD know by now there are *strong* feelings for Apple products, but for my part, I don't believe I said it's a dumb idea, I just explained why not.

I thought that would make sense.

Two Schools: The swiss-army school, one of those hybrid cars that look like a boxy truck to haul things but has strong engine and high performance tires to go fast and handle better than a regular truck

Or

The right tool for the right job.

At least currently, Apple says IOS for touchpad, OSX for laptops. Are they gonna merge the two together? Judging by history, unlikely, you are not getting a swiss-army from Apple. But with new management now who knows. Stay tuned.

And if there is such a product from apple, i'm pretty sure, some of the fanboys here who are so defensive about apple will proudly own one.

No. If the new Apple comes out with such a thing, it would be a departure, THEN I will have to re-calibrate my feelings toward Apple.

Anyway, good luck with your lives.

So sensitive.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
"Good for demo, but tires arm for real use."

Read Above: All you need to know.

Steve Jobs was a genius.

Bill Gates, not so much.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong. None of them is truly a genious, but both are incredibly hard-working clever guys.

By the speeches of them both, I can conclude that Bill Gates is more intelligent in the sense of logical and abstract thinking. Steve Jobs, on the other hand, had a sense of aesthetics and emotions.

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
By the speeches of them both, I can conclude that Bill Gates is more intelligent in the sense of logical and abstract thinking. Steve Jobs, on the other hand, had a sense of aesthetics and emotions.

Steve Jobs had his flaws but no one else could have done what he did. And have you ever used Windows, I have, and it is not in the same world as what Steve Jobs did with OSX.

We all owe a lasting debt. RIP Steve Jobs.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Steve Jobs had his flaws but no one else could have done what he did. And have you ever used Windows, I have, and it is not in the same world as what Steve Jobs did with OSX.

We all owe a lasting debt. RIP Steve Jobs.

I use both Windows and OS X. Both always felt to me quite similar in terms of usability, and each had their strenghts. I can honestly say that I have no preference for any of them.

I recognize, though, that Steve Jobs did a great job at Apple, and under his helmet the company released some great (althought sometimes dumbed-down) products. He was an incredible enterpreuner whose leadership made Apple the behemoth it currently is. I don't know if somebody else could have done it, but nobody else was in a position to do it anyway.

But call he a genious? No, he was not.

Aristotle. Da Vinci. Galilei. Newton. Einstein. Darwin. Those were geniouses. Not Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Not in the same league.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.