Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:26 PM   #76
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelliott View Post
Yes, Buell shut it's doors in 2009. Eric is doing racing only bikes at this time and yeah, i could have picked better pics.
Ah. I hadn't kept up with it too much. I knew he was into racing but for some reason I thought he was still trying to do a few production bikes. I miss them. My friend bought a 2005 Lightning in white after I bought a 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 and I was so jealous of his bike. Loved the sound of Buell's and I've heard the handling is some of the best around.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:14 PM   #77
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
One of those trademarks that probably shouldnt have been allowed to begin with. Owning the rights to the names of natural occurences seems ridiculous.
If the products are marketly different, why would Apple have to acquire the trademark from Harley-Davidson at all?

Not like I am going to look for a Lighting docking station and walk away with motorcycle by accident..
KdParker is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:32 PM   #78
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I'm not. I wouldn't want the whole shelve of razor blades to say "Mach 3" everywhere and have to hunt down those made by Gilette by inspecting each box individually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRyken View Post
But at least across industries you shouldn't have this problem..
I have never confused the Mach 3 disc golf targets with a razor blade. Coat rack, sure.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:53 PM   #79
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Cloud, lightening; can anyone forecast the next one?
HelveticaRoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:56 PM   #80
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I'm sure the regulators would allow that.

And do you really think Apple would spend around $10 billion just so they get hold of a name?
Yes, they will spend billions in all their lawsuits, so why not , plus as I mentioned they can then turn around and sell again.

Maybe they can make a deal with iTV. They may like money too:-)

Sounds simplified, but strange things happen in business all the time.

First we need to see that it's indeed a TV (which I doubt)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:59 PM   #81
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F View Post
i'm going to trademark the color white
Too late. Apple did years ago. Didn't they say that Samsung copied them by using a white box for the Galaxy packaging?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #82
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
I would think that Ford would own the rights to that name since they had the "Lightning" F150's.
Ford AND Harley used "Lightning" for years, and played very well together. Each enjoying great success.

As I'm sure you may be aware of, they even created a Harley Styled SVO Pickup Truck.

It's rather ironic how those two iconic, successful companies, could share a name without anyone "Going Thermonuclear" and into convulsions... ha..ha..ha...

Poor Apple, they are so full of themselves.

(this smells like typical Apple Bully Tactics)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #83
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Who is actually deciding on the names for airplanes like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhee...5_Lightning_II

No copyright problems here ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:12 PM   #84
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I have never confused the Mach 3 disc golf targets with a razor blade. Coat rack, sure.
That coat rack gave me the smoothest shave I've ever experienced. Ruined a couple good jackets, though.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM   #85
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Copyrights have nothing to do with this topic, nor can a Motorcycle or tablet PC really infringe on the copyrights found in a modern aircraft.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:44 PM   #86
Scrumper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Who is actually deciding on the names for airplanes like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhee...5_Lightning_II

You beat me to it! Aeroplane junkies will always associate the name Lightning with the awesome British 1960s jet fighter...

...and of course the American Lockheed P-38.

Different class of trademark I know...just saying...
Scrumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #87
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
useless novelty items. USB is a king of connectors. It is the best of the best. Cheap adaptors available. Compare that to everpriced apple stuff that changes every few years without any logical continuum.
Boy, where do I start.....never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Not the first motorcycle company to use the name...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Lightning Coincidentally, BSA also used the "Thunderbolt" name...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Thunderbolt
Interesting piece of research. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlnd View Post
Yes, but did they also acquire it from Harley-Davidson China?
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
It will be slender and light weight, run on kool-aid, need three adapters to put air in the tires,
returned to Apple to replace the battery and only go to Starbucks and Apple stores. Image
Nice mock-up; if it wasn't for your caveats, such a puppy might actually sell, to a certain crowd, that is.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:05 PM   #88
MacDav
Banned

Seems kind of weird that you can "trademark" a word from the dictionary and make millions off it by selling the rights to another company. Is it just me?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
They'll cave.
Who'll cave?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:50 AM   #89
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Seems kind of weird that you can "trademark" a word from the dictionary and make millions off it by selling the rights to another company. Is it just me?
Yes. It is just you.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:52 AM   #90
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumper View Post
You beat me to it! Aeroplane junkies will always associate the name Lightning with the awesome British 1960s jet fighter...

...and of course the American Lockheed P-38.

Different class of trademark I know...just saying...
The manufacturers of each respective aircraft will be Apple's next targets.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:42 AM   #91
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactonight View Post
Wait, aren't ALL chaps assless by definition? Otherwise they'd be crotchless pants.
Aren't socks just crotchless panties ???
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:54 AM   #92
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Yes. It is just you.
Thanks, I thought so.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:00 AM   #93
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Thanks, I thought so.
I think the "weirdness" is in your fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark, what it applies to and its general reach. Harley-Davidson doesn't own the word "Lightning", as in, if you want to make a breakfeast cereal and name it lightning, you're free to do so and suddenly, we won't have to find a new word for weather forecasts.

When you trademark a term, you do so on a class of products and there are rules. Harley-Davidson couldn't say trademark Motorcycle and prevent anyone else from using that term to sell their motorcycles as well... motorcycles. That term would be what is known as "descriptive" and thus couldn't be submitted for trademark in that particular class of product.

In the Toys and Games area though, Lightning is ok to trademark, as actual lightning, the thing described by the dictionary, would make a pretty piss poor toy or game in regards to children and adult safety don't you agree ?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:24 PM   #94
rexchaney
macrumors newbie

Yes, it was Buell who had the trademarks....all weather related...

thunderbolt
lightning
cyclone
etc.

too bad buell didn't get any of the glory...
rexchaney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:54 PM   #95
ULFoaf
macrumors regular

Does this mean Apple owns the rights to Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning?"

At least we still have Electraglide and Indians.

Patently Apple reports on European trademark registration data showing that Apple has acquired at least partial rights to the "Lightning" name used for its new iOS device dock connector from motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson.

The transfer appears to have been required because of Harley-Davidson's ownership of the trademark under Class 28, which includes toys and games.It is certainly not unusual for Apple to have to pursue trademark acquisition for its marketing terms, and it frequently seeks to use simple and/or common words that are in many cases already protected by other entities.

One notable recent case involved Apple's efforts to secure the "iPad" trademark in China, an effort that resulted in a $60 million settlement after the trademark's original owner claimed that Apple had originally purchased the mark from the wrong subsidiary. Apple had obtained the U.S. trademark rights for "iPad" from Fujitsu, while the company had previously reached a deal with Cisco for the "iPhone" name.

Article Link: Apple Acquired 'Lightning' Trademark from Harley-Davidson[/QUOTE]
ULFoaf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:55 PM   #96
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
I think the "weirdness" is in your fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark, what it applies to and its general reach. Harley-Davidson doesn't own the word "Lightning", as in, if you want to make a breakfeast cereal and name it lightning, you're free to do so and suddenly, we won't have to find a new word for weather forecasts.

When you trademark a term, you do so on a class of products and there are rules. Harley-Davidson couldn't say trademark Motorcycle and prevent anyone else from using that term to sell their motorcycles as well... motorcycles. That term would be what is known as "descriptive" and thus couldn't be submitted for trademark in that particular class of product.

In the Toys and Games area though, Lightning is ok to trademark, as actual lightning, the thing described by the dictionary, would make a pretty piss poor toy or game in regards to children and adult safety don't you agree ?
Thanks so much for your helpful reply...Although I must take exception to the idea that I had a "fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark". This would imply that I had read or studied up on trademark law and then came away with a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark. This is of course false. I can assure you that if I had read or studied up on trademarks I would be far more knowledgeable on the subject than you probably are. The simple fact is that I was almost totally ignorant regarding trademarks. I've had no real reason to be familiar with them. I do admit to being ignorant on a lot of subjects, but I strongly protest against your personally slanderous remark implying that I had a "fundamental misunderstanding" about them. I recognize that this type of mischaracterization is just part of your "toolkit". It's your almost reflexive way of reacting to any outside input. Your belief in the false notion that putting someone else down will somehow lift you up. These are harsh words I admit, but I think you might take them to heart and do some soul searching my smart friend.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #97
slinky199
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
One of those trademarks that probably shouldnt have been allowed to begin with. Owning the rights to the names of natural occurences seems ridiculous.
Oh man, let me tell you about this company named after a naturally occurring fruit...

----------

Quote:
Thanks so much for your helpful reply...Although I must take exception to the idea that I had a "fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark". This would imply that I had read or studied up on trademark law and then came away with a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a trademark. This is of course false. I can assure you that if I had read or studied up on trademarks I would be far more knowledgeable on the subject than you probably are. The simple fact is that I was almost totally ignorant regarding trademarks. I've had no real reason to be familiar with them. I do admit to being ignorant on a lot of subjects, but I strongly protest against your personally slanderous remark implying that I had a "fundamental misunderstanding" about them. I recognize that this type of mischaracterization is just part of your "toolkit". It's your almost reflexive way of reacting to any outside input. Your belief in the false notion that putting someone else down will somehow lift you up. These are harsh words I admit, but I think you might take them to heart and do some soul searching my smart friend.
Wow. You just totally threw a fit about absolutely nothing.

"wah wah, mom, i dun lik teh woord he used!"
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:04 AM   #98
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky199 View Post
Oh man, let me tell you about this company named after a naturally occurring fruit...

----------

Wow. You just totally threw a fit about absolutely nothing.

"wah wah, mom, i dun lik teh woord he used!"
You are certainly entitled to your opinion...such as it is.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:53 AM   #99
Bezetos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I think you forget we're talking about HD here and not Ducati.

How is this remotely related to what I've said? I'm arguing that it is not weird for a motorcycle company to own the "Lightning" trademark.
Bezetos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:59 AM   #100
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Your belief in the false notion that putting someone else down will somehow lift you up. These are harsh words I admit, but I think you might take them to heart and do some soul searching my smart friend.
I wasn't putting you down and don't know why you think so. You obviously misunderstood trademarks and trademark rules, and that is where the "weirdness" you thought came from. I simply explained it to you why it is quite normal and plausible to be able to trademark normal, everyday dictionary words. I did not imply that you had studied trademarks intensively and actually didn't quite grasp it.

I don't get why you got so defensive. You chose to comment on a trademark story by pointing out some "weirdness" you perceived, I simply dispelled the weirdness for you.

The only thing I got from your post is not that I need soul searching, it's that you need to drop ad hominems. This is a civil discussion and I was trying to be helpful.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion