Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Mini or Nexus 7

• iPad Mini 16Gb Cellular

Votes: 131 62.7%
  • Nexus 7 32Gb 3G

Votes: 78 37.3%

• Total voters

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
For me the screen on the Mini remains the big ? It's fine but the Nexus 7 screen is better. And noticeably so. While money isn't an issue, price is. If they were the same price point, I would probably go Apple. The Mini costs nearly 50% more. And that's a lot. So they are neck in neck for me. One costs 50% more.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If the N7 had the same aspect ratio as the iPad it would hold way more appeal. I can put up with the lower PPI because I see more of the web page, emails, and magazines display larger on the Mini compared to the N7. I don't even have a Mini, I'm still using my old iPad 2.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I wouldn't go back to the Nexus 7 even if you paid me.

It shows considerably less of anything you are looking at whether its a web site, newspaper, magazine or an app.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Back in July, I had a Samsung Galaxy tab plus (1.2gz 1gb ram). It was a nice little device, but it was plagued with problems. The screen would creak, it would randomly restart and sometimes it wouldn't even turn on without me going into boot mode (Hold power and vol up).

However, among those hardware problems, I think the worst problem was how buggy android was. After 30 minutes of use my fast tablet turned into a choppy tablet. I'd have to clear the ram every 3-5 minutes.

Worse yet, the app store is fragmented. So if I read about an app online and I go on my tablet to download that app there is a 30% chance that the app won't be compatible with my device. Also, due to the crazy amount of pirating on Android, most developers will either release their apps for android months after iOS or they will not release an android version at all.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. Here is a mini vs Nexus 7 video that is non biased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3mmxam-9A

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, we already saw how Apple sacrificed thickness with iPad 3 in order to fit in Retina display and a larger battery to support it. The price point is a somewhat doubtful assumption since Apple will be able to leverage a substantial discount on quantities and give up just a slight portion of margin.

The difference in this case is Apple's already low point of margin on the iPad Mini. They've already admitted that it was the lowest profit margin iDevice they've made.

At an educated guess; Apple makes $100 or less per unit of the iPad Mini sold directly (based on the $188 -parts, Advertising, Packaging design, etc) and even less than that when sold at outside retailers like Best Buy, Target or Walmart.

There is also no reason for Apple to put a higher PPI screen on it's lower end model. Why would they want their entry priced tablet to surpass their full sized (and higher profit margin) tablet?

dragonev

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2011
UK
Back in July, I had a Samsung Galaxy tab plus (1.2gz 1gb ram). It was a nice little device, but it was plagued with problems. The screen would creak, it would randomly restart and sometimes it wouldn't even turn on without me going into boot mode (Hold power and vol up).

For me Samsung is out of the equation since I hate this OEM. Thanks for a video.

The difference in this case is Apple's already low point of margin on the iPad Mini. They've already admitted that it was the lowest profit margin iDevice they've made.

At an educated guess; Apple makes $100 or less per unit of the iPad Mini sold directly (based on the $188 -parts, Advertising, Packaging design, etc) and even less than that when sold at outside retailers like Best Buy, Target or Walmart.

There is also no reason for Apple to put a higher PPI screen on it's lower end model. Why would they want their entry priced tablet to surpass their full sized (and higher profit margin) tablet?

Well, retailers margin on those devices is about 5-7% so it is not as bad as you might think. I agree, but as the manufacturing capability increases, the cost goes down, thus, the margin increase and enable to deliver a better result. I think Retina became a standart for all devices, otherwise there will be no Retina for iPod Touch

Vengeful

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
I like both tablets ive gotten the chance to try them out for a while. But to me it came down to the apps so I would get the ipad mini, just more polished for tablet stuff out there, I also found myself playing more games on the smaller tablets as well and there were so many more high quality choices in the apple eco. If you can try them both out at stores, I had friends with them so I lucked out but im very happy with my mini.

I gotta say I really like the smaller form factors on tablets, I really liked the feel of the nexus and was awaiting for the ipad mini, it just much easier to carry around instead of grabbing my bag sometimes for my regular ipad, I can just slip the mini into my back pocket or jacket.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
The Nexus is cheaper and does basically everything the iPad does.

275,000 tablet apps say "hi."

Also, when people say the iOS apps they use also exist on Android, it doesn't mean that they are as good as the iOS version. Subtle but important difference.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
As mentioned before, it comes down not so much to personal preference, but how you plan on using the device. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you like media (music, photos, videos, etc) then iTunes can't be beat for managing media and letting it handle syncing to the device and managing space requirements.

If you like customizing app screens, widgets, etc. then the Nexus 7 can't be beat.

Some pros for the Nexus 7.
Slimmer, can fit in a big pocket if need be, the iPad Mini can't. This is really important when you need both hands for something quickly.

The Nexus 7 doesn't need a case.
This may be a little more to personal taste, but I don't think the Nexus 7 requires a case, the iPad Mini does. This makes a big difference IMO in overall usable size.

The Nexus 7 is more comfortable to use.

There are also countless iPad Mini Pro's, but the Nexus 7 is a competent device and if you aren't tied to the iOS ecosystem or need strong media management, the Nexus 7 is a better deal :)

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I looked at both on Saturday, I much preferred the screen on the Mini. The N7 is just too small, especially when you take into account the virtual buttons which take up even more screen space, it really was like looking at a large phone screen.

So you didn't prefer the screen of the Mini, you preferred the size of the Mini. N7 has a better quality screen, no question about it.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
They didn't look much different to me.:confused:

If you can't tell the difference between 163ppi (Mini) and 216ppi (N7) screens - then you haven't really looked closely enough. This is assuming you have normal 20x20 vision.

Last edited:

dragonev

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2011
UK
I like both tablets ive gotten the chance to try them out for a while. But to me it came down to the apps so I would get the .

I have tried both, that's why I don't know which one to pick=)))

Also, when people say the iOS apps they use also exist on Android, it doesn't mean that they are as good as the iOS version. Subtle but important difference.

Agree

As mentioned before, it comes down not so much to personal preference, but how you plan on using the device. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you like media (music, photos, videos, etc) then iTunes can't be beat for managing media and letting it handle syncing to the device and managing space requirements.

If you like customizing app screens, widgets, etc. then the Nexus 7 can't be beat.

)

I've used Nexus without the case and ended up with the massive damage in one of the corners. I did use iPad 2 the same why I didn't have a single scratch. Agree on your ecosystems points

So you didn't prefer the screen of the Mini, you preferred the size of the Mini. N7 has a better quality screen, no question about it.

It is not that obvious. I saw a number of reviews where it was pointed out that the colour saturation and overall contrast is way better on the iPad Mini.

If you can't tell the difference between 132ppi (Mini) and 216ppi (N7) screens - then you haven't really looked at them. This is assuming you have normal 20x20 vision.

I cannot tell the difference. Or let me put in other words - I have been playing NES on a massive widebody TV a couple of decades ago and since than every screen is so much better for me =) Jokes aside, on a daily basis I cannot see this massive difference everybody talking about. Only rMBP showcases it. iPhone and iPad - come on - you was just taken over by the Apple's ads.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Some pros for the Nexus 7.
Slimmer, can fit in a big pocket if need be, the iPad Mini can't. This is really important when you need both hands for something quickly.

The Nexus 7 doesn't need a case.
This may be a little more to personal taste, but I don't think the Nexus 7 requires a case, the iPad Mini does. This makes a big difference IMO in overall usable size.

The Nexus 7 is more comfortable to use.

There are also countless iPad Mini Pro's, but the Nexus 7 is a competent device and if you aren't tied to the iOS ecosystem or need strong media management, the Nexus 7 is a better deal :)

The iPad mini fits in my front pants pocket when I'm wearing a suit, or wearing my normal pants, but it doesn't fit in my jean pants (but neither would the N7).

That's actually one of the main reasons I got it...an iPad that fits in my pocket, is an iPad that goes with me everywhere.

It completely changes how I use a tablet.

----------

Only rMBP showcases it. iPhone and iPad - come on - you was just taken over by the Apple's ads.

After reading that, the only thing I can think is that you have less than perfect vision. I once knew a girl who couldn't see a difference between regular TV and HDTV. For about a year after I got the new TV, she insisted there was no difference...

Then she got glasses and couldn't stop talking about how much better HDTV looks :p

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
We went from never owning an Apple product to buying seven Apple devices in the last 4 years. My wife had an iPad, but I'd wanted something smaller. I'd eagerly anticipated the Mini as much as anyone here....but I was disappointed when I saw the screen...especially for the price.

For the first time I felt like Apple was charging a premium price for an inferior product.

I wanted a tablet mostly for business travel. My main goal was something with a bigger screen than my phone (the iPad spoiled me there) to watch movies, browse the web, use social media, check email - pretty basic stuff.

I ended up getting a Nexus 7 instead and haven't regretted it. The screen is better, all the apps I use were available and the form factor is perfect. The standard arguments about Android devices had me concerned.

I'd heard the build quality is cheap. My tablet is just fine..and the rubber back actually makes it easier to hold. Not surprising as most people end up putting their iPhones and iPads in plastic cases. I didn't need to 'protect' the Nexus.

I'd heard Android was 'buggy', 'clunky', crash filled, etc. I encountered zero bugs or crashes. It is a different experience. I think the Apple iOS is smoother at scrolling and has a more accurate touchscreen. But the OS itself seems pretty solid...it works a bit differently - but probably no different than going from a Mac to a PC and back.

The Nexus was a better fit for me...especially at the $199 price point.

I still like Apple products. I'm buying a Mini for my teenage daughter for Christmas. She's graduated from a couple of iPod Touch's to an iPhone and wants the familiarity of iOS. It fits her needs better.

I think it call comes down to figuring out what's best for YOU as a consumer. A lot of people get caught up in the Apple vs. Android fight. Personally I'm more interested in what works for ME as a consumer and see good products on both sides of the aisle.

When Apple comes out with a Mini with a better screen, I'll seriously consider switching. But $329 for the current Mini would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

BTW, it wasn't a poll option - but I decided to tether the Nexus 7 to my iPhone rather than get the cellular model. 80% of the time I'm using it at a place with wifi, but it's great for when I want to connect at an airport or my kid's practice.

Last edited:

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
MobileTechReview did a smack down, has some good info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3mmxam-9A&sns=em

Huge difference when browsing in landscape mode:

ObeUV.png

This surprised me the most, the iPad Mini has just as much widescreen 16x9 viewing area as the Nexus 7! If you watch widescreen content, the video will be equally as large on the iPad mini as the Nexus 7, despite the aspect ratio difference.

So the widescreen Nexus 7 has no advantage over the iPad mini when viewing widescreen content, but the iPad mini DOES have an advantage when viewing non-widescreen content, like browsing webpages, reading, and using apps.

IC26Y.jpg

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, retailers margin on those devices is about 5-7% so it is not as bad as you might think. I agree, but as the manufacturing capability increases, the cost goes down, thus, the margin increase and enable to deliver a better result. I think Retina became a standard for all devices, otherwise there will be no Retina for iPod Touch

I don't know where you are got the 5-7% margin but based on what you said retailers would only make $23 MAX per iPad Mini 16gb sold... that seems WAY too low for a retailer to agree to sell. Then they sell open item units for 10% off so then they would be selling at a loss.

That just doesn't sound right to me. Having worked in electronics retail I'd place the per unit profit closer to $40-$50 a unit on a 16gb. But that's just a guess on my part. I just don't see an incentive for a retailer to sell something at extreme low margins, even with their accessories attachment they'd make pennies per dollar.

I'm not saying Retina won't ever come to an iPad Mini, but I'd be willing to put a dollar or two on it not happening within 6 months, especially when all they have to do on the 2013 model is shove an A6 in it, maybe use a new panel with higher color gamut and say it's "2X faster!" then sell another 10 million more units.

Putting a Retina screen cannibalizes the iPad Retina sales too. How many "checked out the iPad Mini; Bought an iPad 4 instead" threads are on here? So basically they just upsold a buyer by doing NOTHING.

You make a Retina iPad Mini and sell it at "less margin" than an iPad Retina then everyone buys the iPad Mini and you make less money. What kind of fiscal sense does that make to the company or it's stock holders?

I'm betting when they make a Retina Mini they will either match or undershoot the PPI of the big iPad, which isn't an easy feat... but they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the iPad Mini has a higher PPI than the higher priced/margin iPad.

As for the iPod Touch. The 4th gen used an inferior panel and that lasted over 2 years. The latest model that finally uses the same panel as the iPhone only comes in 32gb which is something like a 80 dollar extra margin over a 8gb model if they were to have sold one at 199.99 like in the past. So unless the Retina iPad Mini does something similar and starts off at 32gb for $429, I don't think it works as simply as you put it.

----------

MobileTechReview did a smack down, has some good info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3mmxam-9A&sns=em

Huge difference when browsing in landscape mode:

This surprised me the most, the iPad Mini has just as much widescreen 16x9 viewing area as the Nexus 7! If you watch widescreen content, the video will be equally as large on the iPad mini as the Nexus 7, despite the aspect ratio difference.

So the widescreen Nexus 7 has no advantage over the iPad mini when viewing widescreen content, but the iPad mini DOES have an advantage when viewing non-widescreen content, like browsing webpages, reading, and using apps.

My god that woman is boring...

Last edited:

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
What's your opinion?

I went for the Nexus 7 two weeks ago. Just the plain 32GB Wifi version (no 3G) and it's become my favorite tablet. Can't let go of this thing. I also own the 32GB-3G 3rd iPad, and I barely use it now. The iPad mini is pure sexy though. It is quite possibly the most beautiful product apple ever made.

My reasons for picking the Nexus 7?
- I wanted to try android. I never had before.
- I already own a larger iPad with the retina display, so it seemed kinda senseless to buy the same product in a lighter package without the retina display.
- I wanted GPS (the nexus GPS works anywhere without WIFI as long as you donwnload a GPS app other than google maps cuz that one requires data connectivity)
- it fits in my back pocket
- it's cheaper to replace if stolen or broken

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I have had my Nexus 7 for a little over 2 months now. I regularly switch between Android and iOS because I enjoy both ecosystems. Here are my impressions of the Nexus 7:
1. Lots of Apps, but lots of them aren't available for a tablet. In what I have experienced, many lack some of the smoothness and polish that the iOS apps have.
2. Very nice display. Great resolution and easy on the eyes and reading has been great.
3. Screen rotation on the home screen is a bit clumsy.
4. Chrome browser is, IMO, laggy and not as smooth as Safari. I like having the bookmarks bar and the easily accessible folders.
5. Touch response seems slightly less accurate. (Than my iPad 3rd gen)
6. I do prefer the Gmail app.
7. I find it easier to hold the mini like a book thanks to the software enhancements. My thumb still wants to use more bezel on the N7 and the display isn't calibrated to allow me to rest my finger on the display and then swipe a page.
8. I generally love 4.2 Jelly Bean. Swipe like keyboard is great and love quick settings. I sincerely hope Sir Johnny makes some enhancements to notifications.
9. No issues with build quality. It feels durable and I like the grippy back.

When it's all said and done, I am leaning towards getting a Mini. I use a Galaxy Nexus as my daily driver phone, so I do think that with 4.2 its a perfectly competitive device. On the tablet I feel it comes up short. To me, its the Apps that count and Android is still lacking a bit for tablets. The Apps are what will bring me back to the iPad. Its purely a your mileage may vary situation. You just don't know until you spend some quality time with one ecosystem or the other.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I know I'm beating a dead horse but PPI is not the ONLY thing that makes a good screen. Most reviews have said the iPad mini has better colors, better whites, better blacks and more pop than the Nexus 7 and Kindle fire HD.

The only time a "retina" screen comes in handy is when you need extra fine detail or if you plan on using your tablet 6" from your face.

At the end of the day if you are looking for pixels on the iPad mini you will find them. However, for just normal every day use the iPad mini's resolution is more than good enough.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England

Loads of apps I'll never use? Great!

The apps I use are all present and correct on Android, and all perfectly fine. I prefer the form factor of the Nexus 7 to the iPad Mini. I definitely don't want a 10" tablet. So I bought a Nexus 7. It's also getting close to half the price of the iPad Mini, which makes it fantastic value.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I purchased a N7 when Google/ASUS first released it. I have to admit I was taken by it. I loved the lighter smaller size of it and it became my daily use tablet, while my larger iPad 3 stayed home. However with all that said I did at times sort of feel disconnected, mainly because I had been using Apple products and didn't want to have to buy all the more expensive apps I had already bought for iOS again. I had totally underestimated how much I used Airplay as part of my ecosystem. It was a struggle to make the transition from iTunes to other apps in trying to get content on the N7. There are 3rd party apps for this, most of which are garbage.

Then Apple releases the iPad Mini. So, decided I'd give it a try. Well I have to tell you like most other folks I was a bit put off by the display. But I was pretty spoiled having an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. However, after using it for a couple of weeks I quickly realized the display wasn't as much of an issue as I had made it out to be. Suddenly I felt connected to my ecosystem again and I actually find I enjoy surfing on the iPad Mini a bit more than the N7 because that little bit bigger screen makes a difference. I also found that I could use the iPad Mini to connect to my car's head unit not only to play my own music in the music app, but Pandora as well. No such luck with the N7.

This past week I sold the N7 and I am delighted with the iPad Mini. It isn't a perfect device, but certainly much better a solution for me given my ties to the Apple ecosystem.

I will say the N7 is not a bad little tablet and I enjoyed learning Android. Everyone has their own considerations to make when deciding between an N7 and iPad Mini. For me clearly the iPad Mini was the winner for many reasons. There are more apps for the iPad Mini and many of the same apps that I had on both platforms where much more mature/polished than the Android version. I also found that many of those daily use Android apps crashed much more often than the same version on iOS. No a deal breaker, but certainly worth mentioning.

If price and specs is your only consideration then go with the Nexus 7. There are things I can do with my iPad Mini that just isn't currently possible with the N7, such as connectivity with my cars head unit and being able to control the iPad Mini from the head unit display. Airplay where I can not only listen to music and or watch video with a simple touch of the Airplay icon. Those are things in my mind that make the iPad Mini worth the price.

Last edited:

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I don't know where you are got the 5-7% margin but based on what you said retailers would only make $23 MAX per iPad Mini 16gb sold...
I'm not sure if s/he was referring to anything specific to an iPad, but mid-single digits is indeed the normal reseller range for Apple hardware.
Then they sell open item units for 10% off so then they would be selling at a loss.
Yep. It's cheaper for the store to do that than ship it back. Resellers pay restocking fees, so if they paid $305 for a mini to buy from Apple, they have to pay $25-30 to return it. Selling it for $299 open box means they lose less than shipping it back to Apple, in addition to cutting their loss sooner. Retail is all about not carrying inventory that's not moving--if you're not making money, you're losing it, so you might as well get it over with as quickly as possible.
I just don't see an incentive for a retailer to sell something at extreme low margins, even with their accessories attachment they'd make pennies per dollar.
Foot traffic. Same reason you put things on sale. You do what it takes to get people in and spending money, and you hope they buy other stuff while they're there. No one makes any real money on Apple hardware except Apple. But somewhere like Target wants to sell them anyway because people who buy an iPad could get a case or dock and might also need paper towels and a baby shower gift and laundry detergent at the same time. Then you might walk past the DVDs and pick up some other impulse buys. Six months later when they need a new accessory, customers are also more likely to go back to where they made the first purchase, so making that first sale has long-term benefits, too.

You might make more money on 10 square feet of candy bars than iPads, but if the demo of candy bar-buyers isn't spending enough elsewhere in the store, you might be missing an opportunity. The Apple demo consistently shows higher affluence and freer spending habits and if they're coming in more often and buying an array of higher-margin stuff at the same time, you're golden.

Trouble starts when you're relying on those sales for the bulk of your revenue and not converting customers onto high-margin goods. That's why most independent Mac resellers went out of business when Apple retail stores started to open--they couldn't make any money on hardware sales, couldn't compete on service, and didn't have any other source of income except the people who previously came in to buy computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.