Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
So. There are volume buttons on the side of my iPhone, as assume everyone has.
So my question is why the HELL did they make it when you double tap the home button and slide over, they have a volume controller ...?
That's redundant. I'd kill for it to be brightness instead of volume that is at the bottom, as I can already control the volume from the buttons they've made. It's just really annoying to have to go into settings everytime,when it could be really simple and just put it where the volume slider is.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
So my question is why the HELL did they make it when you double tap the home button and slide over, they have a volume controller ...?
That's redundant. I'd kill for it to be brightness instead of volume that is at the bottom, as I can already control the volume from the buttons they've made. It's just really annoying to have to go into settings everytime,when it could be really simple and just put it where the volume slider is.

Not all iOS devices have hardware buttons (although all devices since iOS 4 have them, and that's when the slider was added) and it's not always convenient to use them.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Not all iOS devices have hardware buttons (although all devices since iOS 4 have them, and that's when the slider was added) and it's not always convenient to use them.

Pressing the side of the phone or iPod is hard??

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008

I agree. I like how iPad has the implemented with brightness easily accessible.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada

It's like you read my mind :eek: it's a major downside, and the painful tasl of going into settings to adjust brightness is one of the main reasons I jailbreak.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

Ill tell you why, it's because Scott Forstall is so arrogant to the point that he doesn't realize his head is full of cement now.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
While I would much love a brightness slider, I'm assuming Apple's thinking is that with "auto brightness" enabled, one wouldn't need to adjust the brightness (at least with great frequency).

I've actually only needed to manually edit the level a few times since updating to iOS 6.

On the other hand, the volume slider? It's a bit handy when playing via AirPlay.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I had a complaint about this a while ago and people on this forum were very defensive about it. Apparently it's not redundant because it's easier to access the software volume control when the phone is connected to a dock or speakers etc.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
They're different volumes. I don't like it either, but the physical buttons are for ringtone and alert volume and the software one is for media volume.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Well, how will you turn the volume down during a call then?

The buttons on the side. C'mon.

----------

While I would much love a brightness slider, I'm assuming Apple's thinking is that with "auto brightness" enabled, one wouldn't need to adjust the brightness (at least with great frequency).

I've actually only needed to manually edit the level a few times since updating to iOS 6.

On the other hand, the volume slider? It's a bit handy when playing via AirPlay.

You can control the volume of AirPlay with the buttons on the side. C'mon. This is why it's so useless. If the iPad can do, then the iPhone is completely capable. Even if they just added it, like slide over one past the volume and there's brightness. That's finnnnnnne

----------

They're different volumes. I don't like it either, but the physical buttons are for ringtone and alert volume and the software one is for media volume.
Go to any app. Play music. Use the buttons on the side. They turn the volume both up and down.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

this.

I was sitting in class a few times already thinking that the SILENT switch would put everything on silent but noooo some games and youtube videos still have sound. So irritating

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010

B/c only nerds that post on here care about changing brightness all that often. I know people who have had their iDevice for years now and brightness is still at factory default.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
B/c only nerds that post on here care about changing brightness all that often. I know people who have had their iDevice for years now and brightness is still at factory default.

So me changing a setting on my phone because I like it bright in the day and dark in the mornings when I wake up so I don't burn my eyes with blinding white light....this makes me a nerd? It's not my fault your friends don't know anything about a phone they paid hundreds for.
Go them...I guess? I guess ignorgance of technology makes you super cool now. And I'm soooooo jealous.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
So me changing a setting on my phone because I like it bright in the day and dark in the mornings when I wake up so I don't burn my eyes with blinding white light....this makes me a nerd? It's not my fault your friends don't know anything about a phone they paid hundreds for.
Go them...I guess? I guess ignorgance of technology makes you super cool now. And I'm soooooo jealous.

No, I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant was that the majority of Apple's customers aren't like us. They don't care about adjusting brightness. They care about adjusting volume. Apple caters to the majority, not the minority.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I agree I would also love a easier brightness control. In work mids so I work in the dark a lot also I'm constantly changing my brightness. That would be awesome.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
No, I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant was that the majority of Apple's customers aren't like us. They don't care about adjusting brightness. They care about adjusting volume. Apple caters to the majority, not the minority.

True. Sorry about my response haha. I forgot that people just buy phones and don't do anything with them. I agree.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The auto-brightness works a lot better in iOS5 than it did before. I actually use it, now. Haven't tried it in 6, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.