Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone that has unlocked a iPhone 5 through one of the many unlock services swapped the phone out at Apple for any reason? I unlocked mine shortly after getting it, but tomorrow I have to take it in to Apple to swap the phone out. Just curious to know if I will end up locked back to AT&T or if Apple will see that the phone should be unlocked?

same here. Anyone?

I'm going on pure speculation... but would guess that since the phone is so new (aka if it was bought subsidized, there is no way it was unlocked through the carrier) that when an Apple Genius looks up your phone purchase when you go in for service that they would see you purchased a 'standard' $199, $299 or $399 carrier subsidized model and you would probably receive a similar model (ie carrier locked).
Again this is total speculation and I'm sure there will be exceptions to the rule (either a really nice genius or one who doesn't pay enough attention during the replacement process) and some may end up with an unlocked phone... but that doesn't seem likely to me

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I'm going on pure speculation... but would guess that since the phone is so new (aka if it was bought subsidized, there is no way it was unlocked through the carrier) that when an Apple Genius looks up your phone purchase when you go in for service that they would see you purchased a 'standard' $199, $299 or $399 carrier subsidized model and you would probably receive a similar model (ie carrier locked).
Again this is total speculation and I'm sure there will be exceptions to the rule (either a really nice genius or one who doesn't pay enough attention during the replacement process) and some may end up with an unlocked phone... but that doesn't seem likely to me

Not speculation, if a phone is specificaly locked to a carrier, apple will only replace with same locked phone.
You might run in a especially nice Genius, but that is standard policy.

If you get a replacement you need to unlock it again cause it has differnt IMEI.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I'm waiting until I can get home to double check with another sim card, but my iPhone 5 (ordered through apple, locked to AT&T) was reported as unlocked 3 hours after purchasing an unlock from UnlockFusion... I paid less than $4 and it was incredibly easy. (Purchased today and submitted my IMEI at 11:30 am and by 2:30pm I got the email that my unlock had been processed.

I will update this post later after I get home and confirm that the unlock is indeed processed

Here's the Unlock Fusion Ebay Seller Store

I have nothing to do with this website/ebay account... just relaying how incredibly easy it was for me to get the unlock on an iPhone 5... assuming the unlock worked which I'll test via another sim card in a few hours...

I went ahead and deactivated with redsnow and then connected my [unactivated] iPhone 5 to a fresh install of iTunes 10.7 and after a minute of 'contacting iTunes store' I got the revered 'Congratulations, your phone is now unlocked' message! So this would seem to be working with i5s that are locked to AT&T!!

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I just got a 4s on Ebay that the seller tells me is eleigible to be unlocked (I want to use it on tmobile). I submitted a request to At&t as a non-customer but now they want me to fax them a receipt confirming that I paid full price (which obviously I didn't) so I suspect they will deny me.

Just came across this thread and now am thinking it makes sense just to go ahead and spend a few dollars to get an unlock from unlock fusion, etc? Trying to unlock via 2 methods at the same time won't be a problem will it? And is it true unlock fusion (which people seem to rave about) doesn't do unlocks on the weekend? Should I try someone else if I want it ASAP?

Thanks.

moatazali

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Folks i have a situation here, i ordered the unlock via fusion and now it shows as unlocked.
i synced, backed-up, restored my phone via iTunes and it still does not recognize my sim card.
i'm still using Gevey Sim to get my phone working, but when i remove it and install the normal tray and sim it does not work.
im running on iOS 5.1.1 modem firmware 4.10.1 (older)

any clue ? please advise

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I would say that your SIM card isn't making contact with the reader, but when you have the Gevey & SIM, it forces more pressure onto the reader. It sounds like it's a mechanical issue with the SIM tray if you just get No SIM Card Installed.

moatazali

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
well that's the conclusion i did not want to think about :)
so i will need professional help then :(

but anyways iTunes did not show anything that my phone is unlocked now, normal?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Anybody know if theres a good online service for unlocking phones in the uk? can get it unlocked with three for £15 but just wondering if there is any where better.

That is the best deal you are going to get for a phone locked to 3. Go with it.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not speculation, if a phone is specificaly locked to a carrier, apple will only replace with same locked phone.
You might run in a especially nice Genius, but that is standard policy.

If you get a replacement you need to unlock it again cause it has differnt IMEI.

If your IMEI is in the Apple white list, no matter how it got there, "Full price purchase, carrier unlock, Imei unlock site". The profile of the original IMEI will be associated with the new phone, as part of the swop out process.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
I got two 3GS unlocked at removed for $15 a piece. The first one took about 2 hours and the second one 4 hours both work great. They only unlock AT&T but if that's what you have I'd recommend them.

What a rip-off!! You can 4 or 5 unlocks for that price on ebay. I just got one for $3.58 (At&t) on ebay, took 2 hours.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I am happy to report my iPhone 5 IMEI unlock works in Hong Kong and China. I was a God there with my iPhone 5. Ppl were perplexed to see a stretched out iPhone 4s.

strictlyblunts

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I unlocked an iPhone 4S still on iOS 5.1.1 with unlock fusion through ebay for less than 3 bucks and it worked in an hour or so.

Thing is, I never had to plug it into itunes and restore and get a message or anything, it just started working with a T-mobile sim card in it.

So does anyone have any idea if I can upgrade to iOS 6 and it wont unlock?
It says on all the IMEI checker websites that my phone is unlocked, if that makes any difference.

I messaged unlock fusion on ebay but he hasn't answered and I don't want to take any chances yet without knowing for sure.. =/

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
You can upgrade

I unlocked an iPhone 4S still on iOS 5.1.1 with unlock fusion through ebay for less than 3 bucks and it worked in an hour or so.

Thing is, I never had to plug it into itunes and restore and get a message or anything, it just started working with a T-mobile sim card in it.

It says on all the IMEI checker websites that my phone is unlocked, if that makes any difference.

I messaged unlock fusion on ebay but he hasn't answered and I don't want to take any chances yet without knowing for sure.. =/

With an IMEI unlock you can update with no fear of losing the unlock.

jmunlocks

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Check out our site: http://JMUnlocks.com

We have different options for speed.
AT&T [1-18 Hours] - $25
AT&T [1-12 Hours] - $30
AT&T [1-6 Hours] - $33
AT&T [1-60 Minutes] (12PM - 10PM EST) $37
AT&T [iPhone 5 Activation Service] (SSN+ZIP) - $45
Sprint [3-5 Business Days] (Will only work on international GSM carriers) - $115
Verizon [3-5 Business Days] (Will only work on international GSM carriers) - $115

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011

Sometimes, I doesn't need to get "Congratulations" message on iTunes, in some cases you can just put non-original SIM card and get it unlocked right away.

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
Has anyone that has unlocked a iPhone 5 through one of the many unlock services swapped the phone out at Apple for any reason? I unlocked mine shortly after getting it, but tomorrow I have to take it in to Apple to swap the phone out. Just curious to know if I will end up locked back to AT&T or if Apple will see that the phone should be unlocked?

I actually did this with an iPhone 4 on two different occasions , two different Apple Stores (Atlanta, GA) two different results. The first time they swapped it with another iPhone, new IMEI. I basically lost my factory unlock.

The second time around (different iPhone 4) I specifically requested the tech at the Genius Bar if they are going to swap my phone, may I please maintain the same IMEI number. In his words: "Sure, that's what we normally do." I told him that I was surprised because the other Apple Store didn't do that. Anyway, the second time around I kept my factory unlock as when the swap was made, he basically 'cloned' my info from the phone I brought in and all was well.

Conclusion: It depends on what you request AND how willing the tech is to help you.

----------

I just got a 4s on Ebay that the seller tells me is eleigible to be unlocked (I want to use it on tmobile). I submitted a request to At&t as a non-customer but now they want me to fax them a receipt confirming that I paid full price (which obviously I didn't) so I suspect they will deny me.

Just came across this thread and now am thinking it makes sense just to go ahead and spend a few dollars to get an unlock from unlock fusion, etc? Trying to unlock via 2 methods at the same time won't be a problem will it? And is it true unlock fusion (which people seem to rave about) doesn't do unlocks on the weekend? Should I try someone else if I want it ASAP?

Thanks.

Whatever you do, DON'T attempt to unlock via 2 methods at the same time. The unlocking services, including unlock fusion, will not refund you if your IMEI was already submitted twice and one goes through and you don't have time to cancel the other (most cases you can't cancel once submitted anyway). I'd say go with the reputable unlockers mentioned here, most are cheap enough.
[Update, our site is now up and fully automated: https://www.stockunlocks.com
... and regarding the weekend unlocking: This varies according to the reseller offering the unlock and this changes, sometimes daily, according to the service availability.

Tip: Whatever unlock fusion's weekend/turnaround/time frame policy is, it's a good bet that you will get the same service from almost any other REPUTABLE reseller ... tip: most, if not all, are probably reselling through unlock fusion anyway - just saying ;-)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.