Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Is it coming next October? Judging by the release history of the previous iPhones, this seems to be quite true.

It is not long ago I started a thread, asking about iPhone 5 coming last october or not. And that certainly became true. But the problem is, I think it was boring as hell.

I still use my 3GS, and was planning on updating to iPhone 5. But the design struck me as very boring and too similiar to the 4S. I also hear people can scrape it up quite easy. And with the red flare problem on the camera, it is less and less tempting to buy.

The biggest problem for me, is that it just did not provide a big enough change. It just seemed "a little bit better in some ways", but not really going the full distance of proving itself a new champion.

And according to a few sources, a new iPhone may already be released in june. See here: http://technorati.com/technology/article/why-iphone-6-will-launch-by/

So I think my 3GS just might last one final year. But it is really showing signs of dying already.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No one knows but based on historic data, October 2013 sounds about right.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There will most likely be an iPhone 5S next October, which will improve the internal specs of the phone, but the look is likely to be the exact same or nearly the same as the 5.

If you are waiting for a re-designed iPhone, you'll likely be waiting at least two years, and that's assuming the 6 deviates from the form factor of the 5.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point lets not get into the 5s vs 6 in the naming of the iPhone. The next update (regardless of what it may be called) is probably due out next fall.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
There will most likely be an iPhone 5S next October, which will improve the internal specs of the phone, but the look is likely to be the exact same or nearly the same as the 5.

If you are waiting for a re-designed iPhone, you'll likely be waiting at least two years, and that's assuming the 6 deviates from the form factor of the 5.
This is based on the presumption that Apple is going to make an "S"-version of all their phones. I´m not sure this is true.

Also. The company Tactus Technology, says that their first products will be available in the MIDDLE of 2013: https://vimeo.com/43431035

And this company is working on Apples products in their research. Developing physical keys for touch screens.

And I don´t know how the reception for iPhone 5 was in the US. But here in Europe, it was not up to Apples previous standards. They are increasingly failing to generate hype. And if they don´t break their pattern, they will not be impressive anymore. So for Apple to succeed, they must show new innovation, and stop milking their old designs and ideas.

Apple should know this. And if they are taking that seriously, then that should be a reason for releasing a brand new iPhone. Perhaps as soon as June.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
There are reports thay say the new iphone 5S is going to be released in Summer ( June - August )

This are some of the new things it will have:

128GB of memory
faster processor
better camera with more megapixels

New materials that don't scratch easily and a more rigid design to avoid that bend issue.

And maybe:

Nfc ( nobody uses this thing with their phones )
Fingertip unlock

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
No one knows for sure...except me!!

My inside sources have told me that the next generation iPhone is coming in....

AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

(Death is penalty for violating NDA...this poster is dead!)

;) :p

S

syd430

I doubt this going to happen given Apple's recent trend in releases combined with the ever increasing loss of market share.

I think we're going to see a spec bump in march, re-design in October. A 2 year wait is just not going to cut it given the inroads the competition has been making as of late.

I think they're also going to take a gamble with the 6 functionality wise, rather than just a redesign + spec bump, in order to try and claw back some of that lost maket share. It could very well backfire of course.

I know I'm in the minority here.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Like I said, Apple can not afford to keep repeating the same pattern. Yet most of you seem to think so.

Most of you seem to think that the next thing will be an S-version of the existing phone. Released at the same time next year. With only the minor and predictable improvements such as better camera, iOS update, new processor, sharper screen etc.

Point is. This has been Apples tactic for the last years. And it has led to a loss of interest in the iPhone. Loss of interest, means decrease in sales.

The company has been resting on their laurels, and we´re almost reaching the point where they have to start releasing their brand new technologies, which so far has been hidden in research and development.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Like I said, Apple can not afford to keep repeating the same pattern. Yet most of you seem to think so.

Most of you seem to think that the next thing will be an S-version of the existing phone. Released at the same time next year. With only the minor and predictable improvements such as better camera, iOS update, new processor, sharper screen etc.

Point is. This has been Apples tactic for the last years. And it has led to a loss of interest in the iPhone. Loss of interest, means decrease in sales.

The company has been resting on their laurels, and we´re almost reaching the point where they have to start releasing their brand new technologies, which so far has been hidden in research and development.
People said this last year before the 4S was released.

S

syd430

Pretty much this. This is what investors want to see over the next 2 years, and the board very much knows it. I would be very surprised if we didn't see the schedule I described a few posts back. The iphone is Apple's cash cow, and given the losses in market share as of late, 2 years is just not going to cut it this time around.

Again, the 6 is going to be a marked departure from previous re-designs and they are going to take a gamble with it in some form or another . The screen will definitely stay at 4", but we're going to see some major new kind of functionality not seen in other phones. In 2 years time, they won't be able to afford to play it safe anymore. They need to protect their cash cow, and the board understands this.

TL;DR: The iphone 6 is going to have to be able to cook you breakfast if it wants to have any chance of retaining its crown.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is based on the presumption that Apple is going to make an "S"-version of all their phones. I´m not sure this is true.

Also. The company Tactus Technology, says that their first products will be available in the MIDDLE of 2013: https://vimeo.com/43431035

And this company is working on Apples products in their research. Developing physical keys for touch screens.

And I don´t know how the reception for iPhone 5 was in the US. But here in Europe, it was not up to Apples previous standards. They are increasingly failing to generate hype. And if they don´t break their pattern, they will not be impressive anymore. So for Apple to succeed, they must show new innovation, and stop milking their old designs and ideas.

Apple should know this. And if they are taking that seriously, then that should be a reason for releasing a brand new iPhone. Perhaps as soon as June.

You sound like you're not really interested in a release date but you just want to moan about the 5.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom

The 3GS was quite popular though.

Iphone 4S never had the same hype but things like Siri helped it and the camera was said to be one of the best out there which helped sales.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
You sound like you're not really interested in a release date but you just want to moan about the 5.

I just want a new iPhone that I´m genuinly interested in paying for. And that is not the iPhone 5.

The whole reason for me already asking about iPhone 6 now, is because of my dissatisfaction with the iPhone 5.

So yes, I moan about how boring the iPhone 5 is now, because I hope the future will be better. And that it will come sooner than expected. And I have supplied sources that indicate some truth behind it as well.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is it coming next October? Judging by the release history of the previous iPhones, this seems to be quite true.
"Judging by the release history" of recent iPhones the 5S would be next up.

And I don´t know how the reception for iPhone 5 was in the US. But here in Europe, it was not up to Apples previous standards. They are increasingly failing to generate hype.
It was mixed just as it was in Europe.

And if they don´t break their pattern, they will not be impressive anymore. So for Apple to succeed, they must show new innovation, and stop milking their old designs and ideas.
...and that's typical armchair expert industry analysis. The same thing has been said of every company out thee in various discussion forum sites. We'll see what happens but their track record doesn't support your assertion which is based solely on your own preferences. Keep the day job and leave the analysis to the pros.

If Apple doesn't meet your needs then move on and use whatever does. Apple isn't going to die out just because they aren't meeting your specific desires.

I just want a new iPhone
Why do you want a new iPhone if the iPhone clearly isn't for you?

And I have supplied sources that indicate some truth behind it as well.
They don't really indicate what you think they do. I'd suggest working on validating your sources better. You simply picked sources that agree with you.

Last edited:

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
"Judging by the release history" of recent iPhones the 5S would be next up.

It was mixed just as it was in Europe.

...and that's typical armchair expert industry analysis. The same thing has been said of every company out thee in various discussion forum sites. We'll see what happens but their track record doesn't support your assertion which is based solely on your own preferences. Keep the day job and leave the analysis to the pros.

If Apple doesn't meet your needs then move on and use whatever does. Apple isn't going to die out just because they aren't meeting your specific desires.

I am a pro. Stop trying to devalue my opinion, just because you don´t like it.

If you´ve been reading the experts opinions, you will see that there is broad agreement on this subject. Apple has not been delivering groundbreaking functionality and simplicity in their latest iPhones.

Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

If you´ve been reading the experts opinions, you will see that there is broad agreement on this subject. Apple has not been delivering groundbreaking functionality and simplicity in their latest iPhones.

Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.

A pro what, forum user? "Groundbreaking" is a hugely subjective terms. You know what people said was "groundbreaking?" Avatar the Last Airbender movie. Attempts by Brittany Spears to sing. You know what was actually groundbreaking? Us going to ****ing Mars.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

You're a pro what?? Let me ask u this...what are u exactly looking for? I got news for ya..the days of groundbreaking releases are pretty much over. You're not going to see a release as big as the original iPhone for a long time. You're going to see minor, incremental updates with some bigger, cooler features thrown in every couple years. If u think that the iPhone 6 (2 years from now) is going to be some groundbreaking, game changing device, u are going to be very disappointed. Apple is right where they want to be. Interest in apple is INCREASING every day. Not decreasing. If ur a pro you would know that. And the iPhone 5 is the best selling phone on the market right now. Just sayin.

Aug 5, 2012

Statements like that make you sound like anything but a pro.

If you dont like what people have written then dont start still threads asking questions that no one will know the answer to.

Calm down and grow up!

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Some reports saying Feb-March (6 month cycle) in order to compete with Android but IMO I say this is false

Some would say the iPad Mini or iPad 4th gen are signs Apple is falling under peer pressure but I think Apple will stick with the 12 month cycle refresh

the iPhone was introduced in September and has had great success but has been hampered by production and maybe even quality control delays. I think it would be absurd for Apple to give up on potential dollars just so they can refresh a slightly better iPhone

I don't think we are going to see a quad core in an iPhone anytime soon since the A6 is very efficient and plus the iPhone only has a 1400mah battery. A 4.5"+ screen is a no go since they just introduced the a 4" screen and apps still don't fit that. Personally I like them to switch back to glass and steel because scuffgate is real. Increase battery life, even though it isn't bad. Include finger print security. NFC mehhh...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I doubt this going to happen given Apple's recent trend in releases combined with the ever increasing loss of market share.

I think we're going to see a spec bump in march, re-design in October. A 2 year wait is just not going to cut it given the inroads the competition has been making as of late.

I think they're also going to take a gamble with the 6 functionality wise, rather than just a redesign + spec bump, in order to try and claw back some of that lost maket share. It could very well backfire of course.

I know I'm in the minority here.

You are not. I am with you. Remember Apple is all about revenue and making shareholders happy, the once a year update no longer works, especially when you are talking about the phone looking the same for 2 years.

Recent history shows that the quarter right before the launch is the lowest in sales, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple moves to an 8 or 9 months release cycle.

It probably will piss off phone carriers, since they actually benefit when people hold out a few months until the next iphone is out. But at this point, Apple does not care.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

lmao yeah retina wasnt in anyway ground breaking when it came out. :rolleyes:

i do feel like apple has released less "groundbreaking" devices but i feel like thats not just them..its the industry in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.