Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I purchased one of the very first retinas that my Apple store got.

It wasn't a problem at first but in the last couple of weeks I developed the image retention problem pretty badly, enough to be noticeable just switching from pages to Safari. I had an LG screen

Took it in today and watched them perform the diagnostics on it including one called image retention test. That test consisted of showing a checkerboard pattern on screen for 4 minutes followed by a 30 second countdown on a black screen.

In my case the pattern was still quite visible so they agreed to replace the screen.

On the plus side, the turn around time was outstanding, I dropped it off first thing this morning and the called me just before dinner to say it was ready.

Brought it home and the IR is definitely gone. However the overall look of the screen does not have quite the "pop" the older screen had.

It could of course be a placebo thing and all in all I'd rather have this than the ghosting. And yes, the replacement is a Samsung Screen.

One other interesting things was that the genius girl did not seem surprised when she saw my purchase date.

Regardless, I'm a happy camper and was VERY impressed how quickly they fixed it.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
It's been said that Samsung screens don't have the same look as the LG panels. It's also been noted that IR can develop over a few months usage. Nothing out of the norm.

Glad to hear it went well!

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I purchased one of the very first retinas that my Apple store got.

It wasn't a problem at first but in the last couple of weeks I developed the image retention problem pretty badly, enough to be noticeable just switching from pages to Safari. I had an LG screen

Took it in today and watched them perform the diagnostics on it including one called image retention test. That test consisted of showing a checkerboard pattern on screen for 4 minutes followed by a 30 second countdown on a black screen.

In my case the pattern was still quite visible so they agreed to replace the screen.

On the plus side, the turn around time was outstanding, I dropped it off first thing this morning and the called me just before dinner to say it was ready.

Brought it home and the IR is definitely gone. However the overall look of the screen does not have quite the "pop" the older screen had.

It could of course be a placebo thing and all in all I'd rather have this than the ghosting. And yes, the replacement is a Samsung Screen.

One other interesting things was that the genius girl did not seem surprised when she saw my purchase date.

Regardless, I'm a happy camper and was VERY impressed how quickly they fixed it.

I am so confused now that ppl here are giving mixed reviews about the LG and Samsung experience. Some say the white is alot better on the Samsung and the Blacks looks better on the LG. Some say that the Samsung has this yellowish tint and light bleeding at night. The LG has the IR and dead pixels. Some say that once you calibrate the Samsung screen it looks better then the LG? Seriously which one looks better?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm going to bookmark this thread and use it as an example for people who post about how they're so upset when Apple won't replace their whole computer and instead are only willing to repair it.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your repair!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am so confused now that ppl here are giving mixed reviews about the LG and Samsung experience. Some say the white is alot better on the Samsung and the Blacks looks better on the LG. Some say that the Samsung has this yellowish tint and light bleeding at night. The LG has the IR and dead pixels. Some say that once you calibrate the Samsung screen it looks better then the LG? Seriously which one looks better?

The one you personally are satisfied with. Each panel is slightly different anyway...

sno1man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011

FWIW: I think many here make WAY TO BIG A DEAL about the slightest flaw or difference that it seems to me to be inevitable with any items that is mass manufactured.

I saw the IR problem early on, but it was only when it started to interfere with my work (use Adobe In Design a lot) that I went and got the screen replaced.

I honestly cant say the Samsung is better or worse than the LG, just different and that was what I have noticed. Most importantly though the difference is SUBTLE and the only reason I would notice is that I look that a screen 6-8 hours a day.

That also being said, for the occasion when accurate display is really critical, I hook my pro to a color calibrated TB display. I suspect that If I took the time I could calibrate my Samsung screen to look like the LG or vice versa, but it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. They are both very impressive.

And for the record, the LG did seem to have SLIGHTLY better blacks, and the Samsung does seem to have SLIGHTLY better whites.

Short answer, don't worry about it, they are both beautiful displays

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
It looks like Apple is exchanging the displays for Samsung only. Are people here got LG replacement for their display exchange?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
It's interesting because people typically complain about their repairs. It's good to hear someone actually post about a good experience.

in·ter·est·ing/ˈint(ə)ristiNG/
Adjective:
Arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention: "an interesting debate".

Nope, not fitting the criteria. Could have just said "Good experience". Far from interesting.

Now, if his interesting experience @ the apple store was that a magical unicorn with golden rainbows flew down and gave him a (cue angel singing) Retina MacBook Pro for free, that would be interesting.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Adjective:
Arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention: "an interesting debate".

Nope, not fitting the criteria. Could have just said "Good experience". Far from interesting.

Now, if his interesting experience @ the apple store was that a magical unicorn with golden rainbows flew down and gave him a (cue angel singing) Retina MacBook Pro for free, that would be interesting.

^^^^definition of troll^^^^^

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
I got my LG replaced as well a couple weeks ago. Same thing - it developed IR after a few months of use. Also great turnaround time, by the way. They had it back to me in less than 24 hours!

Mine was replaced with a Samsung (I think that's all they're replacing them with now). The Sammy has a slightly warmer color than the LG, but you can adjust that with the built in calibration tool. After I did that, mine was looking more like the cooler screen of the LG.

Try playing around with the calibration tool and you should be able to get it where you want it to be.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No, actually I was pointing out that your vague topic title stating an interesting experience (just to get users to view it) was very much not an interesting experience at all.

So you were stating your opinion?

Thanks.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
FWIW: I think many here make WAY TO BIG A DEAL about the slightest flaw or difference that it seems to me to be inevitable with any items that is mass manufactured.

I saw the IR problem early on, but it was only when it started to interfere with my work (use Adobe In Design a lot) that I went and got the screen replaced.

Has something to do with brain organization.

Last edited:

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
i don't have image retention yet but i want to have the display replace anyway. just for a piece of mind sake. what should i do?
for example, like on the next itteration when they do have the display issue corrected, the image retantion issue, chances are they will probably going to update a new interface cable as well. like for example if that story about the sharp igzo technology thing, if it arrive on the macbook pro as a retina display then there's a high chances the interface cable will get updated and probably not compatible with previous generation hardware. then i'm stuck with old hardware and a faulty screen.:confused:

Aug 5, 2012
What is interesting about this thread?... OP trying to trick users into reading perhaps?!

Glad the problem was fixed but as the OP has stated it sounds like they just swapped in one of the lesser quality screens.

Very uninteresting

i.amBill

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Wow, they replaced it within a day? My local Apple Store said they needed to take 3-4 days :confused:

sno1man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
What is interesting about this thread?... OP trying to trick users into reading perhaps?!

Glad the problem was fixed but as the OP has stated it sounds like they just swapped in one of the lesser quality screens.

Very uninteresting

So i guess the key to getting people like you to be interested is to be inflammatory, insulting or just a general a##.

So.... unlike some of the drama queens on this board that equate a problem with their system with damaging their love lives or causing them to lose their hair I wanted to report my generally positive experience.

What was interesting to me was three main things

1. That they replaced an LG screen with a Samsung- It's not unheard of to replace a bad part with a different brand part but it is unusual.

2. That I could immediately see a color difference between the two screens- Yes it's been discussed, but again it's unusual that if Apple believes the two are interchangeable that there should be such an immediately visible difference.

3. The very fast turn around for the repair. Have you tried to get an HP repaired? It normally takes weeks.

So end of rant/justification. You can go on to say negative things to other posters or picking on your eight year old sister, whichever makes you happy:eek:

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Here's how I find this thread interesting:

1) It did not mention 16 hours on the phone with Apple...

2) It did not mention an email to Tim Cook

3) It did not try to incessantly link to Apple Discussion pages

4) It did not try to link to websites explaining the difference between "burn in" and "image retention"

5) It did not try to link to websites explaining "IPS" and "PLS"

6) It did not mention a 30th replacement attempt

7) It did not mention a heated debate with an Apple Genius

8) It did not mention driving 100 miles to the closest Apple Store nor did it mention 30-day shipping

9) It did not mention 10 dead/stuck/exploded pixels

10) It did not mention yellow tint

11) It did not mention interface scrolling lag

12) It did not moan about a $4000 purchase

So, in closing, I think just the fact that it's NOT what I've consistently seen in this place for the last 6 months makes it interesting.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Adjective:

Whether something is interesting or not is purely subjective. So while you do not find it interesting, others, such as myself, do.

As in it caught my attention even though it might not have caught yours.

Aug 5, 2012
So i guess the key to getting people like you to be interested is to be inflammatory, insulting or just a general a##.

So.... unlike some of the drama queens on this board that equate a problem with their system with damaging their love lives or causing them to lose their hair I wanted to report my generally positive experience.

What was interesting to me was three main things

1. That they replaced an LG screen with a Samsung- It's not unheard of to replace a bad part with a different brand part but it is unusual.

2. That I could immediately see a color difference between the two screens- Yes it's been discussed, but again it's unusual that if Apple believes the two are interchangeable that there should be such an immediately visible difference.

3. The very fast turn around for the repair. Have you tried to get an HP repaired? It normally takes weeks.

So end of rant/justification. You can go on to say negative things to other posters or picking on your eight year old sister, whichever makes you happy:eek:

Wow, you need to calm down. This is an open forum. No need to take things so personally.

Also no need to dicuss other users family members without permission. That is making it very personal and users could take great offence.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Here's how I find this thread interesting:

1) It did not mention 16 hours on the phone with Apple...

2) It did not mention an email to Tim Cook

3) It did not try to incessantly link to Apple Discussion pages

4) It did not try to link to websites explaining the difference between "burn in" and "image retention"

5) It did not try to link to websites explaining "IPS" and "PLS"

6) It did not mention a 30th replacement attempt

7) It did not mention a heated debate with an Apple Genius

8) It did not mention driving 100 miles to the closest Apple Store nor did it mention 30-day shipping

9) It did not mention 10 dead/stuck/exploded pixels

10) It did not mention yellow tint

11) It did not mention interface scrolling lag

12) It did not moan about a $4000 purchase

So, in closing, I think just the fact that it's NOT what I've consistently seen in this place for the last 6 months makes it interesting.

It also didn't mention that this would never have happened if Steve had been alive nor did it state that Apple must therefore be going down the toilet. That alone makes the thread quite interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.