Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:32 PM   #51
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I sent an email to Tim Cook explaining the situation and expressing my disappointment. I got a call back this morning from a representative with the iTunes team who let me know that the commercial has been removed from this episode. I'm very pleased with the outcome. Thank you Apple!
Glad to hear that mate

Now this is something I appreciate in Apple: they both LISTEN and RESPECT their customers!
saotomefirst is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:55 PM   #52
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
You should go elsewhere. I would not want ads in stuff that I paid for too. I'm not saying that what the content providers are doing is right, I'm just trying to explain why they are doing what they are doing. If they offer pay-per-view, then people like you will buy it. What they are worried about is that EVERYONE will go buy it.
I see what you mean. However, this should simply be a matter of finding the right price point.

----------

Quote:
I sent an email to Tim Cook explaining the situation and expressing my disappointment. I got a call back this morning from a representative with the iTunes team who let me know that the commercial has been removed from this episode. I'm very pleased with the outcome. Thank you Apple!
Well done, Sir!
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:58 PM   #53
Lance-AR
macrumors 6502

I'll redownload that episode this weekend but when it happens again, what program will edit m4v to clip the intro?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:08 PM   #54
MaloCS
macrumors member

I hate ads, that's why I pay a premium for content that I can see for free (minus the cable fees).

I purchased an Apple TV last month in the hopes I could stop buying physical media and start streaming the content I want to watch. However, if Apple and their network partners continue forcing ads down my throat I will most definitely find an alternative to my viewing needs.

Like others have said, I'm paying a premium price for the content so let me watch the content without commercials.
MaloCS is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #55
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Add me to the list of users who is outraged at this. Glad to see someone else pissed about this. The whole reason why I pay $2.99 per episode is to not waste my life with advertisements. Glad to see Apple removing these. I have a feeling the networks are including advertisements without Apple's permission/knowledge?
BigMcGuire is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:19 PM   #56
JAT
In Time-Out

You know, people earlier in this thread were discussing the cost/revenue issues surrounding TV and advertisements. But these ads as discussed are network ads. They do not bring in any revenue, so that entire discussion was moot. They are just a kick in the face of people that don't want to see them. You'd think someone at Fox could figure out that we already know about Fox, if we are watching a bloody Fox show.
JAT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #57
jaw04005
macrumors 601

I had the same problem last year with a Fox show. They actually put their "house ad" before the credits. I emailed iTunes customer support and got my money back.
jaw04005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:11 PM   #58
Starhawk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Uh guys, you really don't think the price iTunes charges for completely makes up for the millions of dollars it costs to produce and market TV shows, do you?

Even if a super-popular show was supported entirely by $35/season downloads, it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of producing it. The overage is paid for by advertisers that pay money to the production studios.

Network shows can't currently exist without some kind of advertising. The market that purchases content online do not, as of this time, completely cover the cost of production.

Maybe for stuff like Louie, sure. But not the bigger network shows.
There's no way to know this for sure. You make it sound like we should feel sorry for the studios just trying to break even.

It's perfectly OK to be outraged at the inclusion of ads that have never been a part of TV shows on iTunes. Using your justification, how many ads would be ok ? It's a slippery slope.
Starhawk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:27 PM   #59
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Aren't Fox the ones that stick ads actually in the content though? I remember watching an episode of House where suddenly the characters started talking about the "excellent ride" of their Toyota or Ford or whatever it was. I'm willing to bet that wasn't cut from the iTunes release, gonna complain about that too?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:04 PM   #60
bushido
macrumors 601

and here the studios wonder why people pirate ... they will never learn

its just as idiotic as those "anti piracy" ads on a bluray like HELLO, i PAID for your movie u should THANK ME and not assume that im a pirate. way to treat its honest customers
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #61
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
Aren't Fox the ones that stick ads actually in the content though? I remember watching an episode of House where suddenly the characters started talking about the "excellent ride" of their Toyota or Ford or whatever it was. I'm willing to bet that wasn't cut from the iTunes release, gonna complain about that too?
Oh, they all do that. Product Placement advertising is annoying, but that we as consumers have no way of controlling.

Heroes on NBC was one of the worst, with Nissan written right into the script over and over. And one character chanting a vehicle's name for 2-3 episodes.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:30 PM   #62
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

If this becomes the case for all their media...BANG....I'm back to buying the DVD/BR and ripping again. There is no way I'm paying for content with ads in it.

Hell...if I can record of the TV at least I can edit out the ads. This is rubbish if it becomes the norm.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:43 PM   #63
chambord
Banned

Quote:
I just downloaded season 5 episode 2 of Sons of Anarchy to find the first 23 seconds of the episode is an advertisement! I am ****in livid! This is ********!!! I ****in payed full price for a season pass and now I am being forced to watch advertisements. I am so furious right now that I cant even enjoy the show that I just downloaded. I feel as thought a serious amount of trust has been broken here. Im in so much disbelief right now. I will never buy content from iTunes again.
I'm sorry, but this sort of "outrage" is extraordinarily immature and uncalled for. Really? You were *FORCED* to watch 23 seconds of an advertisement in a 44 minute tv show? Oh I'M SO SORRY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

Honestly. Get some perspective and grow up.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
It's perfectly OK to be outraged at the inclusion of ads that have never been a part of TV shows on iTunes. Using your justification, how many ads would be ok ? It's a slippery slope.
No it's not. It is not perfectly OK to lose complete control of one's emotions over the inclusion of a 20 second advertisement.
chambord is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:56 AM   #64
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambord View Post
I'm sorry, but this sort of "outrage" is extraordinarily immature and uncalled for. Really? You were *FORCED* to watch 23 seconds of an advertisement in a 44 minute tv show? Oh I'M SO SORRY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

----------

No it's not. It is not perfectly OK to lose complete control of one's emotions over the inclusion of a 20 second advertisement.
If you hate adverts and being marketed at, and assume you are paying enough to not have to put up with watching them, then yes it is perfectly OK. Just because you are personally willing to tolerate being force fed commercials does not make others wrong.
steve-p is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:14 AM   #65
Wordman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
Over-react much? It's amazing the things that get people so upset they have to type *****. Most certainly first world problems. 23 Seconds you will never, ever get back.
And now you've just gone to all the trouble of replying. Now who's reacting?

Can't you just let the guy vent his frustration?

----------

Quote:

----------

Look out folks, it's Judge Dredd. HE IS THE LAW.

God forbid we have freedom of speech, eh?
Wordman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:43 AM   #66
chambord
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordman View Post
And now you've just gone to all the trouble of replying. Now who's reacting?

Can't you just let the guy vent his frustration?

----------

Look out folks, it's Judge Dredd. HE IS THE LAW.

God forbid we have freedom of speech, eh?
1. You're encouraging someone to act extremely immaturely over the fact they had to watch 23 seconds of commercials in a 44 minute video.

2. You are pulling this "freedom of speech" bit because I am pointing out the immaturity. So you are ok with your freedom of speech, but you deny my freedom of speech? A bit of a hypocrite, eh? Kind of typical, you're "tolerant" of everything as long as it doesn't offend you.
chambord is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:02 AM   #67
Smeaton1724
macrumors regular

A 44 minute show on UK TV is made into a 60 minute TV show with adverts, 27% adverts. This example, 44 minute show 0.87% adverts. A massive reduction and something I wouldn't moan at, pay for content and gain 16 minutes back and while I agree a few seconds is a measly amount of time, it's the principle of you pay for content via iTunes to avoid ads totally.

If Apple had a guideline that 1% of the total length of the video "could" incorporate adverts I and most others would be fine with as it at least sets a standard for the producers and an expectation from the customer - possibly opening a new category? 5% ads, 20% ads, 50% ads, 100% constant ads?!

One thing to note which does have implication, on a 300mb download to for example an iPad or iPhone, that 0.87% would take up 2.6MB. Say you had 10GB of video that's 87MB wasted on ads which is enough space for an iTunes album or playlist and I can see why any ads would annoy people as it's not like larger memory on any Apple device is cheap. In essence more you buy the more space is taken up by ads that you wanted to avoid in the first place!

Last edited by Smeaton1724; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Better Organisation of comment.
Smeaton1724 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:12 AM   #68
slothrob
macrumors 6502

One option, if you don't want to watch an ad at the beginning of a show is to set the start time in iTunes' Get Info Options window to after the ad.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:27 AM   #69
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

At least you can skip over the ads in iTunes. Last movie I went to, I got in early in order to get a seat. I had to suffer through 25 minutes of advertisements and I was stuck watching them . In fact, the last advertisement was for the movie advertisements telling me I should get there even earlier so I'll see more advertisements .
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:44 AM   #70
Wordman
macrumors member

Quote:
1. You're encouraging someone to act extremely immaturely over the fact they had to watch 23 seconds of commercials in a 44 minute video.

2. You are pulling this "freedom of speech" bit because I am pointing out the immaturity. So you are ok with your freedom of speech, but you deny my freedom of speech? A bit of a hypocrite, eh? Kind of typical, you're "tolerant" of everything as long as it doesn't offend you.
1: No. I am applauding him expressing his opinion. You call it immature, and that's your right to express your opinion. My opinion is that you are being a excessively judgemental about someone you don't know. But don't let it get to you.

2: No, I'm fine with his freedom of speech and yours too. Did I mention at any point that you should not say anything? You'll find I did not. However, I would advise that you monitor your blood pressure - you sound a little angry.
Wordman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:43 AM   #71
BladesOfSteel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
and here the studios wonder why people pirate ... they will never learn

its just as idiotic as those "anti piracy" ads on a bluray like HELLO, i PAID for your movie u should THANK ME and not assume that im a pirate. way to treat its honest customers
Really??

Home media (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray) have all had some sort of warning against copying the movie. (You know those FBI Warnings that show up). So now you have to sit an extra 10 seconds while they added the specific"victimless crime" screen.

Heaven forbid.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:55 AM   #72
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordman View Post
1: No. I am applauding him expressing his opinion. You call it immature, and that's your right to express your opinion. My opinion is that you are being a excessively judgemental about someone you don't know. But don't let it get to you.

2: No, I'm fine with his freedom of speech and yours too. Did I mention at any point that you should not say anything? You'll find I did not. However, I would advise that you monitor your blood pressure - you sound a little angry.
Hmm... No offense dude, but while I don't disagree with you. I also don't disagree with him either. I don't like the adverts in purchased content, but if you're worried about chambord monitoring his blood pressure,there are a few folks on here that we need to rush straight to an ER... I think the point he was making was that some people on here are going a bit overboard in the way they were saying things, not that they don't have a valid point.

As for the rest, he has his freedoms and so do you. Still, you mentioned that his posts seemed a bit judgemental, so you might reread your last post as well. From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like a very positive post, even possibly a bit judgemental back at him. It's probably not what you intended, but he may not have meant for his posts to come across as judgemental either.

My advice, we just need to all take a breath. No point in killing a good topic over nothing...

As for me, yeah, the adverts are annoying, but I've only ever seen them on Fox shows. Thankfully, at this point, I'm not buying any. Out of sheer curiousity, has anyone seen them on shows from another provider besides Fox, or is it just them? I buy shows off of USA, CBS, and SyFy, and I don't believe any of mine, at present, have them.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:49 AM   #73
pagansoul
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to pagansoul
I have several seasons of TV shows purchased off iTunes and have not seen any adverts on any of them so far.
Blood Ties
Deadwood S1
Defying Gravity
Dr Horribles Sing-Along Blog
Friends S1-10
Jericho S1
Just Shoot Me S1
Ken Burns-Natl Parks
Moonlight S1
Robot Chicken S1-2
Robot Chicken Star Wars
ST Enterprise S3
STOS S1
ST Voyager S3
Stargate Atlantis S3-4
Surface
Torchwood S1-3
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #74
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:

----------

"Airquotes". Sarcasm. CAPS-LOCK. *Asterisks*. Multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!

In the game of over-reaction, you just scored a full-house; ironically.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:33 AM   #75
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:

The problem is, it's 23 seconds NOW....what's to stop them next year from making it 2 minutes? Then 5, then 10? Even you must have a "tipping point" where it's too much for content you're paying for.
fhall1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater