Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Jades
macrumors regular

5W vs 10W vs 12W Charger for iPhone

I've seen tons of posts here about what is the difference between the 5-watt, 10-watt, and 12-watt chargers for the iPhone and I've done an experiment myself with two iPhone 5s.

Many claim that the 10 or 12-watt charger gets their phones charged much quicker than the standard 5-watt charger

My conclusion - it's all in your head

Over this weekend, I took two iPhone 5's and and plugged one into a 12W charger and another into a 5W charger. Both were at 60% battery level.

Both iPhones reached 90% at almost exactly the same time!! Oddly, the 5W charger reached 90% about one minute before the 12W charger did.

I performed the experiment one more time using a 5W and a 10W charger. Exact same result.

So, at the end of the day, this idea that the iPad charger will charge your iPhone quicker is all in your head. And if you can prove that the iPad charger will charge your iPhone quicker, I would also want you to make sure that your iPhone charger isn't a fake charger or a charger not made by Apple.

I hope this answers a lot of debates that take place in this forum in regards to charging times.
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Now try that test with a pre-iPhone 5
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

It makes sense. The iPhone dictates the power draw, 5W.
ECUpirate44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Jades
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Now try that test with a pre-iPhone 5
It might charge faster with both the 5W and the 12W - simply because the battery is 0.1 volts smaller, but I doubt that the 12W will charge faster than the 5W, unless you can prove otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
It makes sense. The iPhone dictates the power draw, 5W.
Exactly. Many people on the forum say that they like the 10/12W because "it charges so much faster". I thought the exact same thing myself. At the end of the day it's all in our heads.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Try the same test while both phones are running angry birds.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Jades
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Try the same test while both phones are running angry birds.
This weekend when I am bored I'll give it a shot and post the results
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
Oddly, the 5W charger reached 90% about one minute before the 12W charger did.
Nothing odd about it. The phone is the bottleneck.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8
TCU
macrumors newbie

From an electrical standpoint, if the 5W charger is able to provide the max current the Iphone draws (which I assume it does?), then it shouldn't make a difference what size charger you have. Even if you use a 100W charger it shouldn't charge any faster. That is because, unlike voltage, current is drawn by the device. Thus the Iphone only takes what it needs. Regardless weather the charger is able to provide more or not.

Think of yourself at lunch time lets assume you are hungry for two slices of pizza. You will eat that much if you had two slices, or if you had 100. Only as much as you need.... although in my case I probably couldn't resist for more
TCU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 PM   #9
icemanzzz
macrumors member

I use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone and it doesn't charge faster than the iPhone charger..
icemanzzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

You can also refer by watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4gPxc89Wg

InsanelyGreatMac did a review on the 12 W charger and he tested using the ipad 3, and the iphone 5. It showed that regardless if you use the 10 W or the 12 W to charge your phone, iPhone will only draw 5 W at maximum.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Koebot
macrumors member

Many people don't know the difference between wattage and amperage.
Koebot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:47 AM   #12
JonBoy470
macrumors newbie

This video was painful to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post
You can also refer by watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4gPxc89Wg

InsanelyGreatMac did a review on the 12 W charger and he tested using the ipad 3, and the iphone 5. It showed that regardless if you use the 10 W or the 12 W to charge your phone, iPhone will only draw 5 W at maximum.
This video was painful to watch. Using a Kill-A-Watt to measure power delivered to the device?! Really?! You're doing it wrong. First off, repeat the test with an iPhone 4S. Then, the right way to measure power delivered to the device would be to do man in the middle, which would require you to butcher a cable to hook up a couple of multimeters to measure voltage and amperage delivered to the device. The Kill-A-Watt is indicating total power drawn by the charger, which includes power the charger is dissipating internally as waste heat. You'd also want to perform this test with devices whose batteries at or very near full discharge. This is when the charging circuit will be applying maximum (and constant) charging current to the battery.

Also remember that the device draws power to power itself before it allocates power to charge the battery. The battery gets whatever power is "left over". For a true test of charging speed, charge the phone while it is performing a CPU intensive task that also keeps the screen lit up (the previous suggestion to play Angry Birds would be effective. Something with 3D graphics like Minecraft would be even better.) the iPad charger will have greater "headroom" to charge the battery at a high rate under this scenario, whereas charging will slow to a crawl with the iPhone charger.
JonBoy470 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:51 AM   #13
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

What? Are you saying the 1000 megajoule generator/charger I bought on eBay won't charge my iPhone any faster than the apple charger? What about my MBA? Will it charge that faster?

The price was right on the generator/charger, but the UPS delivery charges from Afghanistan were fierce!
hakr100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:41 AM   #14
debudebu
macrumors regular

Bumping

I lost my charger and am currently traveling within SE Asia. I bought a replacement 12 watt for my phone and ipad, and last night plugged my 4s into it and the wall of the hotel. Instantly, it blew a fuse and the power in my room went out. There isn't an official Apple store in the country I'm in so there's no way to know if its legit other than it looks it. I have pretty rudimentary knowledge of electrical flows, what do you think caused this? 12 watt with 4s, crappy outlet, fake charger? I'm hesitant to plug my ipad in and test it on another outlet for fear of toasting it.

I won't be back in the states for months and I definitely need my idevices to keep in touch. Please discuss
debudebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:47 PM   #15
RF9
macrumors member

A while back I was trying to figure out why my phone charged faster in the car than at my desk and in the process proved basically what everyone is saying here.

The iPhone will not charge faster with a 10w or 12w charger than with a 5w charger. The iPhone dictates how much current it will pull and pulls up to a maximum of 1 amp (5 watts) regardless of the charger capacity.

I generally only buy 2+ amp chargers and carry them around becauses they work for both iPhones and iPads alike, but it won't charge the phone faster.

Cables play a big role. Cheap cables, especially long ones often use thin wire gauge that limits the power. I have cheap 6ft cables that will only allow .6 Amps, and a 10ft which constricts down to .35 amps. Pay for reputable cables or at least ones that claim Apple certified and you're pretty much guaranteed they will carry a full 12w load to an iPad.

Also iPads and iPhones rapid charge to 80%. Between 80% and 100% they gradually decrease current draw to reduce the charge speed (for battery health.)

I did significant testing with a USB power meter and an Ammeter with over 18 different chargers and 20 different cables, all with the same result.
Also if the charger doesn't claim apple compatible, then it may be limited to .5 amps.

The Anker 40W 5 port charger (about $25) is awesome and delivers max power to all devices, (and that's with measured testing.)
RF9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:04 AM   #16
presidentjohn
macrumors newbie

i have to try this!
presidentjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories