Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #51
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
If that's really all she needs tell her to get an iPad
Ditto. An iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and she's all set.
Razorhog is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #52
calisurfboy
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to calisurfboy
Let the iMac come out next week, next month, or next year, the fact they pulled the older model and had no iMacs on shelves for weeks was a pretty dumb move. Even if the new iMac comes out, it is just the 21" leaving a gap for the larger model. Dumb dumb dumb.....
calisurfboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #53
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejuicyjoe View Post
Glad I bought the last version of the imac, this design looks dumb...
Good. One less person in line for a new one.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:03 AM   #54
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post

Too expensive for the casual user, too appliance-like & limited for many professionals.

But they are in the exact sweet spot for maximum profits. That is the thing that matters most to Apple. If you want an el-cheapo computer, look elsewhere. If you are some sort of uber-geek wannabe, look elsewhere.

If you want the coolest computer thing that a regular person could dream for, with a slim form actor and an OS that is so easy even a cave man could use it, you get what you pay for.
iGrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:04 AM   #55
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejuicyjoe View Post
Glad I bought the last version of the imac, this design looks dumb...
Buyers remorse ^^^
ECUpirate44 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:04 AM   #56
tardegrade
macrumors member

I have a 21.5" iMac that I bought in March. The new iMac ought to be an obvious upgrade for me, it certainly has some attractive features in the screen, faster RAM and USB 3. But I don't want to loose a built in optical drive, I'm not keen on the idea of a 5400rpm laptop HDD and I don't like the fact that I can't upgrade the RAM (which I have done in mine).

So I'll wait for the 27" model, which is better for me and I guess I'll have to get used to an external optical drive.

There is one thing, I'm pretty sure that the resale value on my current model of iMac will stay high.
tardegrade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #57
Wintermute121
macrumors newbie

Bulimia isnít the answer to everything...

Iíve been waiting for a new iMac for more than a year; the delay was longer than ever (see http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac ). When the new machines came out, I realized that Tim and Jonís obsession with ďslimĒ had gotten the better of them.

Yes, these machines are beautiful and extremely slim - if you look at them exactly at the angle we see in the PR shots.

Now when I'm sitting in front of the display, I couldn't care less about those 5mm screen edges. And I would prefer a solution where not every heat-generating component (power supply, harddisk, GPU, CPU, display...) is packed into an extremely tight space.

Iíll probably buy the 27" model, because I need a powerful desktop machine now, and I donít have the budget for a Mac Pro and a huge screen. But Iím afraid that this Twiggy-ish machine will have heat-related problems (e.g. screen colors changing -wouldnít be the first time) and an early death - probably a few days after the end of the warranty.

I hope this generation of iMac doesnít mark the end of Apple as a company willing and able to build great desktop computers.
Wintermute121 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #58
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

Doesn't appeal in the slightest.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

And how could I pitch this to my Mum to replace her G3 CRT iMac when all she needs is something to run a web browser & an email client, and a 17" PC laptop is hundreds of Pounds cheaper?

Too expensive for the casual user, too appliance-like & limited for many professionals.

Sad times...
Sad truth, but iSheep will abuse you for talking the truth. Well in fella.
I8P'CS is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #59
Diamond Dave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLondoner View Post
Sounds like she's not in the target audience. If that's all she needs an iPad would be a more logical match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
If that's really all she needs tell her to get an iPad
Except that her eyesight is poor, and she really needs a bigger screen than the 15" (13.8" visible) on her existing iMac, not smaller.

Also, she's comfortable with a real, full sized, hard-plastic-keys keyboard.

She can barely work her mobile phone, so I doubt she'd take to a fake on-screen keyboard easily.

The £499 bottom-end Mac Mini might be something I'd consider for her mind you, with a large monitor connected.
Diamond Dave is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #60
MattSepeta
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MattSepeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
At that point again you'd be waiting for next cool thing. There's always something around the corner.

I think the new iMacs look amazing and I'm very interested in seeing the new display IRL. Should be great according to the early reviews.... Perhaps next cinema display will be laminated as well? And the Apple Television unit?

MY decision of course will be based on the ifixit teardown of the 27" imac. If its not as "easy" to get at the guts as the 2011 iMac's, I simply won't be able to justify the expense when the Mac Pro is hovering just a wee bit cheaper. Heck, even the old existing Mac Pros make more sense than the new 27" if we can't replace the HDDs, etc.

Right now my MacBook Pro has a 24GB SSD and a 512GB SSD. I was able to add them both myself for cheap. I would expect the iMac, a desktop computer, to be more accessible and serviceable than their laptops, where space is actually limited for good reason, no?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #61
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8P'CS View Post
Finally, the NEW gen that looks like the old gen but with a price increase and thinner edges will go on sale friday. Pity I'm waiting for 2013 model as I have high end 2011 and can't justify the upgrade.

I really like fusion drive, but i'll order on day one of Haswell refresh, Thats for sure. Happy for those that have been moaning though, They can now browse Facebook and twitter on a bigger screen instead of their iPhone and iPad
It's obvious your trying to justify your 2011 purchase. But really, there's no need. It's a damn fine machine.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:07 AM   #62
decimortis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Ordering two.
Fixed. Just took out all the stuff that makes it seem like you want to start something.

D.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:08 AM   #63
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

And how could I pitch this to my Mum to replace her G3 CRT iMac when all she needs is something to run a web browser & an email client, and a 17" PC laptop is hundreds of Pounds cheaper?

Sad times...
I'm not trying to defend the new iMac, but if all people need a PC for is to run a web browser and an email client, maybe they didn't need a PC in the first place. You can do that a lot more conveniently with any iOS devices (or Android if you're into that).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 AM   #64
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

so 27" will be shipped in December....does that mean the day after the go on sale, that's not so bad
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:10 AM   #65
Wedlock
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8P'CS View Post
Sad truth, but iSheep will abuse you for talking the truth. Well in fella.
Go troll somewhere else please.....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:11 AM   #66
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by njooste View Post
Lol.. I mean, I know the 30th of November is still November but jeez Apple..

Anyway, I'm happy it's finally coming! Now lets start waiting some more for the 27"..
Nothing new with them. They always do this. I've come to expect delivery of the product the following month when they say, "Coming in November, December or any other month". iTunes for example was suppose to be delivered in October. Apple changed it on the last day of the month to now say "Coming in November" and there's only 3 days left of this month.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:12 AM   #67
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardegrade View Post
There is one thing, I'm pretty sure that the resale value on my current model of iMac will stay high.
I doubt that is true. They are very thick. Who wants that?
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #68
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute121 View Post
Iíve been waiting for a new iMac for more than a year; the delay was longer than ever (see http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac ). When the new machines came out, I realized that Tim and Jonís obsession with ďslimĒ had gotten the better of them.

Yes, these machines are beautiful and extremely slim - if you look at them exactly at the angle we see in the PR shots.

Now when I'm sitting in front of the display, I couldn't care less about those 5mm screen edges. And I would prefer a solution where not every heat-generating component (power supply, harddisk, GPU, CPU, display...) is packed into an extremely tight space.

Iíll probably buy the 27" model, because I need a powerful desktop machine now, and I donít have the budget for a Mac Pro and a huge screen. But Iím afraid that this Twiggy-ish machine will have heat-related problems (e.g. screen colors changing -wouldnít be the first time) and an early death - probably a few days after the end of the warranty.

I hope this generation of iMac doesnít mark the end of Apple as a company willing and able to build great desktop computers.
Dreading the bold bit highlighted, A lot of people have been saying this to me, that these new iMacs are the ones that will only last a few years!! if thats the case i'll need to reconsider my options, I can;t throw money at something that will be dead in a few years.

I'll be paying for fusion drive and Applecare yes. but afteR A/C my heart could go lol. This would be the first iMac i would be looking to keep for a while once the Haswell ones release as I normally sell up on 2 years with A.C with it.

We will see, but not looking good.
I8P'CS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #69
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
Quote:

Sad times...
Why not let her keep her G3? You can't say that doesn't work for her needs.
shigzeo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #70
maxira
macrumors member

A few days ago I wrote:
21'' 30 November with shipments of 2/3 weeks
27'' 21/28 December with shipments of 2/3 weeks
I guessed the day for 21'', we see shipping times
I think the same for the 27''

Apple tricksy!
maxira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #71
nonillogical
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
But they are in the exact sweet spot for maximum profits. That is the thing that matters most to Apple. If you want an el-cheapo computer, look elsewhere. If you are some sort of uber-geek wannabe, look elsewhere.

If you want the coolest computer thing that a regular person could dream for, with a slim form actor and an OS that is so easy even a cave man could use it, you get what you pay for.
I disagree that they are not in a good spot for professionals, but it depends. One of these is pretty much perfect for even intensive graphic design and web development work. Obviously if you are a 3d modeller, motion graphics designer, or film editor, you probably want a Mac Pro. Most professionals that work on macs don't need that kind of power, and a lot of you are forgetting that a base level Mac Pro with a display starts at DOUBLE the price of a nearly maxed out iMac.

I am just now switching to Mac for home use from being a PC guy, but always using a Mac at work. I have a lot of issues with apple's pricing and overall business model, but it has become a worthwhile cost to me. Anyone calling this a 'tablet' or any other such nonsense is just coming across as whiny and ********.
nonillogical is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #72
zombierunner
macrumors 6502

so the new itunes on nov 31?
zombierunner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #73
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedlock View Post
Go troll somewhere else please.....
Truth hurts!! You should of just kept quiet
I8P'CS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #74
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502

Why Apple Why!?!?!?

I love how beautiful apple products are, however, I think they sacrificed power for the sake of thinness in this latest design. I would much rather see desktop-grade graphics rather than a uber-thin design.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:16 AM   #75
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Any speculation on what the Apple retail stores will carry in regard to "stock CTO" configurations?
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion