Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markdee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I'm currently a Windows user and my current laptop has a 256GB hdd with around 130GB in use.

I'm getting a MacBook Air and I'm not sure if an extra £260 is worth it to upgrade the storage to 256GB.

My iTunes library is around 9GB and my photo library around 10GB and I don't have any video. So will 128GB be enough given that somehow I'm using around 130GB on my Windows laptop?

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I'm sure 128GB will be enough. Windows OS alone uses 16-20GB, where as Mac I believe is less than 10GB. You should be fine.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
If you're using 130GB simple math tells us 128GB isn't enough. Even if OSX uses less space than Windows, that still leaves you with only a couple gigs left when you take into account capacity loss after formatting. Plus, as a Windows user, you may want to run Windows via bootcamp or virtually from time to time. I'm not sure how anyone can conclude they are "sure" 128GB will be enough.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
I'm currently a Windows user and my current laptop has a 256GB hdd with around 130GB in use.

I'm getting a MacBook Air and I'm not sure if an extra £260 is worth it to upgrade the storage to 256GB.

My iTunes library is around 9GB and my photo library around 10GB and I don't have any video. So will 128GB be enough given that somehow I'm using around 130GB on my Windows laptop?

You'll be fine, and if not you can buy a nice usb 3.0 external for a LOT less than 260, where you could keep your photos, and maybe even your itunes library if that is convenient for you. That's what I chose to do anyways, and my macbook air is supposed to arrive on wednesday so here's hoping it works lol :p

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
If it were me I'd spend the extra on the internal drive. Externals are ok but for ultra portables I'd favor internal storage.

markdee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I guess my point is, that ill only be transferring my iTunes and photos across to the MBA which come to 20GB max and I have no idea what takes up 130GB on my Windows PC.

MacTyper

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
California
I was worried as well when I got my 2012 13" 128 GB Air. Since I got it I have been worried about the space, but that has actually made me keep my Air lean and mean. I rarely leave files in it that I know I will not need. So far It has worked wonders. even on my windows laptop which has 500GB's i now tent to keep it it pretty light. I keep a 60GB flash drive with all my music and videos in my computer bag/sleeve, that has also helped a lot.;)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is the photo library that important that you must have it on your laptop at all times? Else, I would consider moving it to an external HD. Find out what is taking up the rest of the space, and see if you can move them to dropbox or simply delete them (they may very well just be remnants of past downloads or no-longer-needed files).

I am using a MBA with 64gb storage and find that it more than suffices for me, because I work primarily with word documents and throw everything else into dropbox and/or external storage.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Dogs run pretty fast. Ever raced one?

My Dobermans can make it from the house to the fence line in 4.2 seconds flat.... CAN YOU ?

from a warning sign posted on a fence at my neighbor's house, hahahaha :)

But to answer the OP's question: NO. 128 is not enough. Get the biggest aftermarket SSD you can, for way less than apple gouges you for, & be happy..... (I just got a 512GB for $299, and 256GB for $140 on Black friday)

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
But to answer the OP's question: NO. 128 is not enough. Get the biggest aftermarket SSD you can, for way less than apple gouges you for, & be happy..... (I just got a 512GB for $299, and 256GB for $140 on Black friday)

Can't (reasonably) swap the SSD in an Air... unfortunately, gotta get it from Apple. Or get one of these for some extra storage. ($20 for a 32GB MicroSD, or $60 for a 64GB - both from Newegg today)

Love the dog quote... but I do believe I could out-run mine; she's an obese, out-of-shape, lazy black lab lol. Unless there was a steak involved... then she'd put me to shame. :D

Last edited:

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
Something that really helped me was just starting fresh with my 128gb rMBP rather than using Migration assistant. This allowed me to assess what programs and files I really need with me. I keep my iTunes library and the rest of my files on a 1tb external drive. Of course, I am an English professor, so most of my files are small. If I worked a lot with photos and videos, 128 might be too snug.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just a data point you can use to calculate this... my new MBA with the OS, iLife apps and iWork apps totaled about 20GB of space used. So if your personal data will fit in the remaining ~100GB, there is your answer.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Doesn't really seem like a question where the judgment of others can get you very far...

Too true, much like a lot of other questions asked on here. Its the kind of questions that can only be answered by the OP.

Much like saying...will I like it if I put 3 sugars in my coffee or not?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I have a 128G with about 20g in itunes and then another 40GB dedicated to windows 7 and the computer runs fine. I couldn't be happier, but if $ isn't an issue then spend the extra 250 bucks IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.