Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
cthesky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
About Test the App on IOS Devices with multiple IOS Versions

Hi all,

Since there are many IOS versions and the new version always evolve eventually, can I know how you all handle the app testing on multiple IOS versions on IOS devices? For example, if I want my app support IOS versions 4.3 until 6.0. Should I need to test the app on various devices which run IOS 4.3 until 6.0? or normally We support the latest IOS version? And so far I only own a IPhone so how can I do testing on various version on devices? I am thinking upgrade the version once done a testing on current version but it seems not a good option because once upgrade I can't downgrade it to test my next app. How can I ensure my app can run well in a device with IOS 4.3 to 6.0? Anyone has any idea or suggestions?

Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.
cthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
jnoxx
macrumors 65816
 
jnoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I just bought all devices, to test on all. I have all iPads, just currently lacking the iPad 1 gen again, but i'm watching out for one. For the rest, we have also all kind of devices at work to double test. You have the simulator for great tests to, just to check if the basics work. (like async vs sync downloading from 5.0 calls etc).
__________________

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3
cthesky
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
I just bought all devices, to test on all. I have all iPads, just currently lacking the iPad 1 gen again, but i'm watching out for one. For the rest, we have also all kind of devices at work to double test.
Thanks for your reply.

I see. So far, I don't have enough $$$ to buy all devices. Hope one day I have enough budget to buy all. haha.

Quote:
You have the simulator for great tests to, just to check if the basics work. (like async vs sync downloading from 5.0 calls etc).
yup, will use simulator to test and check all basics work. For me, it seems a only way to test my app on various IOS versions.
cthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 AM   #4
jnoxx
macrumors 65816
 
jnoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
You will get there, good luck.
You can download older simulators to test too normally
__________________

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:38 AM   #5
PhoneyDeveloper
macrumors 68020
 
PhoneyDeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Figure that you need to test only on the last dot release of a particular OS version. So 4.3.5 also covers 4.3. 6.0.1 also covers 6.0. Otherwise it becomes impossible time-wise to do all the testing.
PhoneyDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
SteppingStone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
This is really tricky. Apple doesn't make it easy to downgrade software on a device, so the most convenient way to test is to keep multiple devices. A few observations:

1. From a performance tuning point of view, pick the most underpowered devices available. We mostly do iPad development, and iPad 1 and iPad 3 are relatively underpowered given the number of pixels. If something runs smoothly on iPad 1, for example, it will almost certainly run even better on iPad 2.

2. From a general bugginess point of view, there's no substitute for testing on all the major software versions you can. We've seen crashers which only occurred on a particular version; I recall a retain/release issue which caused a crash only on iOS 5.1, but not 5.0 or 6.0. Unfortunately Apple doesn't make this easy.

3. Design with memory warnings in mind if you're going to support < iOS 6.0. When you test, always make sure your app is robust to memory warnings.

4. The simulator can be your friend for testing on various iOS versions. It is far from ideal, but it's definitely helped us to run on different simulator versions. This can catch a lot of UIKit differences, unsupported API sloppiness, even differences in memory management, etc. early on. Dumb mistakes happen and the simulator can help find them.
SteppingStone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
cthesky
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
You will get there, good luck.
You can download older simulators to test too normally
ok. Thanks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneyDeveloper View Post
Figure that you need to test only on the last dot release of a particular OS version. So 4.3.5 also covers 4.3. 6.0.1 also covers 6.0. Otherwise it becomes impossible time-wise to do all the testing.
I see. So I can more focus my testing on last dot release of a particular OS version. Thanks for figure out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppingStone View Post
This is really tricky. Apple doesn't make it easy to downgrade software on a device, so the most convenient way to test is to keep multiple devices. A few observations:

1. From a performance tuning point of view, pick the most underpowered devices available. We mostly do iPad development, and iPad 1 and iPad 3 are relatively underpowered given the number of pixels. If something runs smoothly on iPad 1, for example, it will almost certainly run even better on iPad 2.

2. From a general bugginess point of view, there's no substitute for testing on all the major software versions you can. We've seen crashers which only occurred on a particular version; I recall a retain/release issue which caused a crash only on iOS 5.1, but not 5.0 or 6.0. Unfortunately Apple doesn't make this easy.

3. Design with memory warnings in mind if you're going to support < iOS 6.0. When you test, always make sure your app is robust to memory warnings.

4. The simulator can be your friend for testing on various iOS versions. It is far from ideal, but it's definitely helped us to run on different simulator versions. This can catch a lot of UIKit differences, unsupported API sloppiness, even differences in memory management, etc. early on. Dumb mistakes happen and the simulator can help find them.
I see. Got it. Thanks for your reply.
cthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC