[General] Android, just wow. - Page 10 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:40 AM   #226
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
Typical. Apple fan accuses Samsung of "RIPPING APPLE OFF OMG THEY SUCK. THEY MUST PAY" Pointed out that notification center was ripped off of Android they say "what? that again? why do you keep bringing that up?"
Notification center is not a ripoff of Android notifications
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:54 AM   #227
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The concept may be a rip off of Android's, but Notification Center is no where as usable as Android's notification pull down. Expandable notifications (now expandable with one finger) and the ability to swipe away single entries is so useful. I can't believe Apple doesn't allow you to swipe away single notifications. Joke.

Not to mention, you still never get to see notification icons at the top in your status bar. Why is the carrier icon still up there, really, for iOS?
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:58 AM   #228
Pjstock42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The concept may be a rip off of Android's, but Notification Center is no where as usable as Android's notification pull down. Expandable notifications (now expandable with one finger) and the ability to swipe away single entries is so useful. I can't believe Apple doesn't allow you to swipe away single notifications. Joke.

Not to mention, you still never get to see notification icons at the top in your status bar. Why is the carrier icon still up there, really, for iOS?
Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.
Pjstock42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:07 AM   #229
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjstock42 View Post
Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.
The notifications are narrow? It's a solid bar of information.

I don't know, mate. I don't have trouble swiping notifications away... at all. I've never heard anyone missing it or struggling because it's too narrow. Practice some more?

EDIT: How does one have troubling swiping away bars this big? Not trying to demean in anyway. Serious question. It shouldn't be difficult.

onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:29 AM   #230
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #231
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.
Yeah, I thought about this. There should be an option to turn this on/off. If Quick settings can be turned off, I'd use Power Toggles anyway. It's better.

Is the split dead center? At the very least, the quick settings should be further right. Otherwise, will just have to adjust. More features usually means adjustments in some form.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:34 AM   #232
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjstock42 View Post
Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.
I'd say you're exaggerating.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.
I haven't played around with 4.2 yet but IMO it would'be been better if they had power toggles, kind of like in Touchwiz and Cyanogenmod ROMs.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #233
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yeah, I thought about this. There should be an option to turn this on/off. If Quick settings can be turned off, I'd use Power Toggles anyway. It's better.

Is the split dead center? At the very least, the quick settings should be further right. Otherwise, will just have to adjust. More features usually means adjustments in some form.
Not quite, mine still pulls down the notification centre slightly to the right of the camera, go any further right though and you get quick settings.

I agree that you should be able to turn it off, I liked swiping from anywhere along the top to get notifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
I'd say you're exaggerating.

----------



I haven't played around with 4.2 yet but IMO it would'be been better if they had power toggles, kind of like in Touchwiz and Cyanogenmod ROMs.
Yeah, I think that set-up is ideal. Toggles in the notification centre just seems like such a natural addition.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #234
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000
 
Cod3rror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
In what way is the stock iPhone music player anywhere close to Poweramp?
It's simpler and neater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
Diceplayer, BSplayer do exactly what you claim android can't. Hell you can just use a file manager
Iike ESFile explorer to browse to smb, FTP, or cloud servers and use the android intent system to open videos with whatever player you desire.
So if they do the same thing, why should I downgrade to Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
It's amazing how people almost seem proud of their lack of knowledge. I can tell Google Maps to cache whatever areas I will need when I got away and it works fine.

Have you actually used Android for more than a few minutes or do you just not understand how to use it? Either option is not the best reflection on you.
Google Maps caches only a small portion of the map or the route. That's it.

----------

Also, Android does not have an edge bounce back effect. iOS does. It's awesome!
Cod3rror is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:51 AM   #235
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
Also, Android does not have an edge bounce back effect. iOS does. It's awesome!
onthecouchagain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #236
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.
They definitely went backwards in 4.2, they should just have a single unified notification bar. Another thing I hate about android is you can't swipe to go back, something that I miss about iOS, I think Apple has a patent on that, but I'm not sure. It really really sucks having a chunk of your screen taken up by the back/home buttons, really unintuitive to reach down there sometimes and annoying to have that wasted screen space.
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 AM   #237
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yeah, I thought about this. There should be an option to turn this on/off. If Quick settings can be turned off, I'd use Power Toggles anyway. It's better.

Is the split dead center? At the very least, the quick settings should be further right. Otherwise, will just have to adjust. More features usually means adjustments in some form.
On my Nexus 4 I can swipe down from any place at the top of screen to slide down notifications. There is no way to get anything else. Two fingers brings down quick settings. What am I missing about this split thing?



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:15 AM   #238
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
On my Nexus 4 I can swipe down from any place at the top of screen to slide down notifications. There is no way to get anything else. Two fingers brings down quick settings. What am I missing about this split thing?



Michael
He's referring to tablets.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM   #239
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
He's referring to tablets.
Then for me I would like that! It's sometimes awkward to use 2 fingers to get to quick settings so I just use one then get to quick settings from notification drop-down. Usually it is to see battery percentage lol.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 AM   #240
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Then for me I would like that! It's sometimes awkward to use 2 fingers to get to quick settings so I just use one then get to quick settings from notification drop-down. Usually it is to see battery percentage lol.



Michael
I really feel that the Stock ROM should provide the option of using either a battery bar or showing the percentage. Custom ROMs have had this for a while.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #241
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post

So if they do the same thing, why should I downgrade to Android?
Not trying to convince you to do anything. Just shutting down your claim of there being no android equivalent to whatever crap you were spewing. Nice job on the fox news caliber spin job though
walie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:12 PM   #242
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
Typical. Apple fan accuses Samsung of "RIPPING APPLE OFF OMG THEY SUCK. THEY MUST PAY" Pointed out that notification center was ripped off of Android they say "what? that again? why do you keep bringing that up?"
I think the Samsung ripping off Apple digs are just as dated and boring.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:10 PM   #243
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
It's simpler and neater.



So if they do the same thing, why should I downgrade to Android?



Google Maps caches only a small portion of the map or the route. That's it.

----------

Also, Android does not have an edge bounce back effect. iOS does. It's awesome!
Smacks Forehead... Just give it up.
IFRIT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:15 PM   #244
dojoman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I honestly don't understand why so many Apple iDevice haters keep coming back to website called Macrumors. Seriously, why are you guys here if you hate all "i" device so much?
dojoman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #245
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
I honestly don't understand why so many Apple iDevice haters keep coming back to website called Macrumors. Seriously, why are you guys here if you hate all "i" device so much?
Who says they hates all ''i''devices, haven't noticed one in this thread.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:20 PM   #246
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
I honestly don't understand why so many Apple iDevice haters keep coming back to website called Macrumors. Seriously, why are you guys here if you hate all "i" device so much?
Criticizing a product is not the same as hating it.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:26 PM   #247
dojoman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Criticizing a product is not the same as hating it.
To me it's the same especially some of you here (you know who you are) have nothing good to say about any Apple device. Seriously, there must be thousands of Android related forums beside Macrumors.
dojoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:28 PM   #248
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
To me it's the same.
Not to me. I use Android and like it, but I can criticize it and admit that it has its faults.

Make of it what you will.

Edit: I just checked some of your comments. They don't seem very reasonable. I can see why you wouldn't like this sub-forum.

Last edited by dalbir4444; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:37 PM   #249
dojoman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Not to me. I use Android and like it, but I can criticize it and admit that it has its faults.

Make of it what you will.
Yeah I understand that...I use iPhone and it has its many faults too but some people are here for a different reason.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Not to me. I use Android and like it, but I can criticize it and admit that it has its faults.

Make of it what you will.

Edit: I just checked some of your comments. They don't seem very reasonable. I can see why you wouldn't like this sub-forum.
Of course you don't since you have Android. You see??? It's not that I don't like it but it's more amusing than annoying.
dojoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:37 PM   #250
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
To me it's the same especially some of you here (you know who you are) have nothing good to say about any Apple device. Seriously, there must be thousands of Android related forums beside Macrumors.
I shall critisize everything I deem critisizable.

I hate the sharp edges on the iPhone 4/4s/5
I hate TouchWiz
I hate the price of iMacs
I hate the glass design of the N4

Just don't expect me to critisize about Android on an Apple forum... I rather stay on topic.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mobile OSs: Windows Phone 8 or Android (if Android's design makes you cringe)? CyanLite Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 60 Jan 5, 2014 06:58 PM
Wow...Android has improved! T-Mac Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 43 Jan 4, 2014 07:15 AM
Wow, this is why i want to jump the ship to Android Maskusee Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Oct 24, 2013 07:43 PM
Wow... seeing iOS 6 and Android 4.1 did something for me.... 1080p iOS 6 152 Jul 25, 2012 01:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC