Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
First is the ppi, this provides maximum viewing area, particularly nice for web work, the first and most important way I use all my tablets.

The second is the very grippy back. It provides a very secure grip via a light touch, and it's also nearly scratch proof.

You have misunderstood how PPI and resolution work on tablets.

On PC's, the high resolution means greater viewing area, however this is not the case with tablets.

The Nexus has MUCH less viewable area when browsing and does not provide a better browsing experience:

iPad-mini-web-browsing-vs-Nexus-7.jpg

From experience, the text on the Nexus is sharper, however, the screen size of the mini allows it to provide a better experience.

Of course it's all preference though.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
You have misunderstood how PPI and resolution work on tablets.

On PC's, the high resolution means greater viewing area, however this is not the case with tablets.

The Nexus has MUCH less viewable area when browsing and does not provide a better browsing experience:

From experience, the text on the Nexus is sharper, however, the screen size of the mini allows it to provide a better experience.

Of course it's all preference though
I agree largely with this, but I wouldnt say its about preference. At the end of the day we see the need for both. The Mini screen has the right shape and aspect ratio. Higher pixel count would make it complete.

Since neither one has gone all the way, I personally prefer the compromise made in the Mini. But indeed they do need to get there. It seems the real barrier is a) higher power consumption and b) Apple's insistent on doubling the pixel count or not at all - you dont actually need to double the pixel count to solve the readability matter. Its a problem driven by their business ecosystem

If I were Apple I'd bite the bullet and make the mini thicker to accomodate a bigger battery so they can put in a retina screen. And make the back more tactile like the Nexus.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
same thing with me only I ended up switching after 3 days... your last paragraph is a great recommendation.

I disagree. If you are going to compare it side by side with a retina iPad, of course it going to look like crap. Get one, use it during the return window and see if you happy with it.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I looked at the mini this weekend and don't like the screen one bit after using the retina ipad and iPhone. The smaller size would be a benifit to me if I carried a purse lol but since I don't and it doesn't fit in my pocket the ipad 4 is much better for me. Good thing is apple is giving us more choices since we are all different and have different needs etc.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I disagree. If you are going to compare it side by side with a retina iPad, of course it going to look like crap. Get one, use it during the return window and see if you happy with it.

LOL! ok, dont go to the store and compare them then. The last thing anyoe should do is go to the store and see if the size and weight of the mini makes up for the screen or not. If you just go ahead and buy the mini and dont look at anything else you will eventually like it even if you struggle with it at the beginning..:rolleyes:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Ok the Mini is my first iPad (or tablet). I find only for web pages I need to expand particularly when reading, for instance, the front page of CNN.COM. When I get to an article or the text in non-web page applications are fine for me.
I haven't returned my mini because it is the size weight etc. that I wanted and although having to expand is sometimes a pain the total benefit and experience is great for me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
LOL! ok, dont go to the store and compare them then. The last thing anyoe should do is go to the store and see if the size and weight of the mini makes up for the screen or not. If you just go ahead and buy the mini and dont look at anything else you will eventually like it even if you struggle with it at the beginning..:rolleyes:

If someone were leaning towards the Nexus 7 why wouldn't you suggest they try the two side by side before buying. Trying the two side by side will also illustrate how much heavier the iPad 4 is, which is a trade off for the larger Retina screen.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
If someone were leaning towards the Nexus 7 why wouldn't you suggest they try the two side by side before buying. Trying the two side by side will also illustrate how much heavier the iPad 4 is, which is a trade off for the larger Retina screen.

that is exactly what is was suggesting:eek:... I was replying sarcasticly(rolled eyes smiley) to someone who disagreed with me when I agreed with the OPs last paragraph suggestion....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
that is exactly what is was suggesting:eek:... I was replying sarcasticly(rolled eyes smiley) to someone who disagreed with me when I agreed with the OPs last paragraph suggestion....

Sorry, I thought I was replying to the person suggesting you shouldn't compare devices side by side.

danish1542

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
MA
I am also returning my mini and keeping my iPad 3 for now. I really loved the size and weight of the mini but the screen really is lacking when compared to the iPad 3. I also realized that the mini is really for someone who likes to take a tablet on the go, which I literally never do. That's what I have my iPhone for. I understand some people travel a lot and if that was the case for me I may be keeping the mini for that alone, but at home, using the iPad 3 is just a better experience. In the mean time, I will be patiently waiting for the redesigned, lighter, thinner iPad 5, which for me will be the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Higher resolution (AKA retina display) isn't going to make the text any bigger. Seems that maybe the app builders for the applications you're using need to put more thought into how their apps scale.

Have you tried Tapatalk and Tapatalk HD? Just wondering if one works any better/different on the Mini.

Clint

Exactly. If they released a retina mini, it would still be the same size...text wouldn't be any larger.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
What I noticed from moving from the 3GS to the iPhone 4/4S was that I didn't have to zoom to read smaller type because it was more legible.

exactly, i struggled with the mini but could view the same page no problem on my iphone 5 even though the text was smaller

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I've noticed this as well, especially owning both, here is the difference.

Nexus 7 @ 216 ppi

iPad Mini @ 163 ppi

Not being a hater, but for me it only took 45 seconds with a Nexus 7 in a shop to make me not want one, and for cost reasons I had been enthusiastic.

But I browsed to a website and the scrolling and zooming just SO wasn't up to standard - stuttery and nasty - despite many reviews reporting the opposite.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Thank you! I was debating replacing my iPad 2 w/ an iPad Mini, but I mainly use it to read comics. I'll be keeping my iPad 2 until the I get the 5.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Thank you! I was debating replacing my iPad 2 w/ an iPad Mini, but I mainly use it to read comics. I'll be keeping my iPad 2 until the I get the 5.

if all you do is read comics, i might suggest flipping the iPad 2 on eBay. the resale for iPad 2's is still very strong.

then, pickup an iPad 3 refurb. the 16GB wifi model starts at $379 which i think is the best value to be had right now for any iPad.

if you have an iPad 2 16GB wifi, upgrading to the iPad 3 Retina would be an extra $50-$75.

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
after using the iPad 4 for about a week one other advantage I have noticed is the 1GB of ram, I no longer have to worry about tabs refreshing in safari or chrome. With the mini and iPad 2 I could have 3-5 tabs open, with the iPad 4 I can use 8 and sometimes more while not having to worry about refreshing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.