Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
We have this horrible VPN software called global protect on our laptops but i need to remove it as its no longer needed.

When i try and move it to the bin it says it running...
If i kill it with activity manager it just reopens
If i kill it in terminal using kill -9 pid it reopens.

Does anyone have any idea on how i can stop this?

This is now resolved so can be closed

Last edited:
Reactions: nadnosliw

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
No uninstaller and i didnt try that method but as the program was still running im guess it would have failed.... If i get time ill reinstall and test it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Uninstall is on this path /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources

I agree, bad program package.

Why this complicated? Why the need to go into the package and delete part of the package when deleting the whole package works too, specially in combination with the steps I posted?

Or is this just a necropost without real content?

davegarcia

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
How I uninstalled the annoying GlobalProtect

FYI,

This is how I removed the annoying GlobalProtect. It is badly developed software.

1. Go to application and rename the application. You will need your password.
2. Log off your user name and log back into your user account on your mac and move GlobalProtect to the Trash where it belongs.

Regards,

Dave Garcia

AndreLeComte

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Re: Removing Global Protect from my mac

Running the install package gives the option to uninstall GlobalProtect. The install package is a file named globalprotect.pkg which can be downloaded by logging in at the VPN server address in a web browser.

khaledhawari

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
thanks

thanks for this very helpful post, it was a nightmare.

confirmed was able to uninstall by running the uninstall.sh script in the content package.

had to run the script as sudo though.

Reactions: robotica and cpl303

yhtomitn64

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
What worked for me

What worked for me was going to /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources in terminal and then uninstalling. My uninstaller had a different name: uninstall_gp.sh

cd /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources
sudo bash uninstall_gp.sh

I uninstalled because it doesn't work to connect to my work VPN and the other solution work offers actually does connect. I didn't need it running all the time.

fustbariclation

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
GlobalProtect

I've got similar problems. It completely wrecked my iMac. To get rid of it, so you can fix the routing tables and other things it has broken, you not only have to delete the set-up files in:
/System/Library
/Library
~/Library

But also get rid of the daemons it installs that start to mess it all up again when you restart.

I'm not running it on a mac mini, an old 32-bit one, and it doesn't seem to make the same mess there.

The VPN is terrible, though, as it cuts out once or twice an hour and, after doing this for a while, stops working altogether - requiring you to find somebody to fix it. I've been down well over an hour with no sign of any help from my local IT or from PaloAlto networks - not even an e-mail from support acknowledging my email.

Does anybody know of a VPN, ideally open source, that actually works - with people also using PCs as well as Macs?

hostit

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
Easy way to delete globalprotect

1. You must have sudo or administrator rights on your mac

Run the below command:

sudo killall GlobalProtect && chflags noschg /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/ && rm -fR /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/

You may have to run it a few times.

Reactions: cpl303

cpl303

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2015
The built-in Cisco VPN option (system preferences/network/interfaces) works with the global protect gateway on the Mac, you just have to configure a group name and shared secret in GP. PM me and I can show you some screen shots.

GlobalProtect

I've got similar problems. It completely wrecked my iMac. To get rid of it, so you can fix the routing tables and other things it has broken, you not only have to delete the set-up files in:
/System/Library
/Library
~/Library

But also get rid of the daemons it installs that start to mess it all up again when you restart.

I'm not running it on a mac mini, an old 32-bit one, and it doesn't seem to make the same mess there.

The VPN is terrible, though, as it cuts out once or twice an hour and, after doing this for a while, stops working altogether - requiring you to find somebody to fix it. I've been down well over an hour with no sign of any help from my local IT or from PaloAlto networks - not even an e-mail from support acknowledging my email.

Does anybody know of a VPN, ideally open source, that actually works - with people also using PCs as well as Macs?

cpl303

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2015
Dave, I know this is an old thread, but based on how GP is configured on the portal and gateway, the user can have more or less control over the agent. There are various levels of locking down the user from interacting with the agent ... Let me know if you need more info ...

FYI,

This is how I removed the annoying GlobalProtect. It is badly developed software.

2. Log off your user name and log back into your user account on your mac and move GlobalProtect to the Trash where it belongs.

Regards,

Dave Garcia

vivianna

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016

FYI,

Regards,

Dave Garcia

Thanks so much this worked like a dream for me. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Jay Bhatia

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017

FYI,

Regards,

Dave Garcia

THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to uninstall this crappy program for over a year now...it worked like a charm!

nadnosliw

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
GlobalProtect

/System/Library
/Library
~/Library

Hi do you have instructions for finding and eradicating any sh#@ty malware this application has installed on my system? I used the uninstaller provided but want to be sure that any crap it left behind is GONE.

nadnosliw

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
The built-in Cisco VPN option (system preferences/network/interfaces) works with the global protect gateway on the Mac, you just have to configure a group name and shared secret in GP. PM me and I can show you some screen shots.

Does this work for a user trying to connect to an existing VPN without reconfiguring the VPN at the server side? My workplace is using Palo Alto and I won't be able to get them to reconfigure just for me? DO I need to know some authentication details from them beyond my username and password?

josindaus

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
Re: Removing Global Protect from my mac

Running the install package gives the option to uninstall GlobalProtect. The install package is a file named globalprotect.pkg which can be downloaded by logging in at the VPN server address in a web browser.

Yes, I ran a spotlight search for globalprotect.pkg on my mac and installed the uninstaller... and woosh the stubborn software vanished

Ludovico_Gonzalez

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
What worked for me

What worked for me was going to /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources in terminal and then uninstalling. My uninstaller had a different name: uninstall_gp.sh

cd /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources
sudo bash uninstall_gp.sh

I uninstalled because it doesn't work to connect to my work VPN and the other solution work offers actually does connect. I didn't need it running all the time.

Thank you very much, the best solution to uninstall this piece of **** of VPN software. Many thanks from Argentina! Bye!

Gene52

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
Thank you very much, the best solution to uninstall this piece of **** of VPN software. Many thanks from Argentina! Bye!

Hi all, What if you no longer know your password, but need to remove this horrible software? Any suggestions shot of rebuilding my MAC.

llo

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021

FYI,

Regards,

Dave Garcia
Yes! This worked! You are genius- THANKS!

odovi

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
I cannot delete it because it says it's opened. I don't know how to close it as it only appears on the menu bar and there is no option like "force quit" or smth. Also, I don't know my password or anything. I tried deleting through terminal with this command: sudo /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall_gp.sh. but when it asks for my password I cannot type for some reason... any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 19.51.21.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 19.51.21.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 19.53.07.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 19.53.07.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 91

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I cannot delete it because it says it's opened. I don't know how to close it as it only appears on the menu bar and there is no option like "force quit" or smth. Also, I don't know my password or anything. I tried deleting through terminal with this command: sudo /Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall_gp.sh. but when it asks for my password I cannot type for some reason... any ideas?
Just type your password and press return. Terminal is designed not to show anything on screen when entering passwords. This would be your normal password for the computer but if you don't know that then you will have other problems and need to reset it which can get complicated.

odovi

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Just type your password and press return. Terminal is designed not to show anything on screen when entering passwords. This would be your normal password for the computer but if you don't know that then you will have other problems and need to reset it which can get complicated.
ok, well still nothing happens...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.