Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Gurv
macrumors newbie

Removing iTunes Dupes help?

got 10 thousand worth of songs with duplicates in it and its killing HDD space, anyone know quick way to get rid of it for free and not TuneUp

I dont wanna manually go through it all

cheers
Gurv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You may want to check out Dupin from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

However, there are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make all those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Gurv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You may want to check out Dupin from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

However, there are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make all those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.

any other methods, this costs money and a bit awkward
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurv View Post
got 10 thousand worth of songs with duplicates in it and its killing HDD space, anyone know quick way to get rid of it for free and not TuneUp

I dont wanna manually go through it all

cheers
There is a find duplicates feature built in with iTunes
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Gurv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
There is a find duplicates feature built in with iTunes

i know that what i meant by not going through it all myself