Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'll probably go back and give it another shot. I think some people could be far more sensitive to pixels than other people.

If they don't swap it out, I'll just make use of AppleCare+ and play some hockey with the iPhone as the puck. :D

S

syd430

Post a picture of the death pixel it is easy to take a print screen of the iphone

I take it that you're probably joking, but just in case you aren't - no a screenshot wont show a dead pixel.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar, who told me the dead pixel on my screen is within spec. I can't handle Apple's terrible QC anymore - this is my third iPhone 5. I have a Nexus 7 under the tree (replacing my iPad 3). I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

I almost can't believe it. I've sold so many people on Apple products over the years. Sad to see it come to this.

Why have you put a nexus 7 under a tree?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar, who told me the dead pixel on my screen is within spec. I can't handle Apple's terrible QC anymore - this is my third iPhone 5. I have a Nexus 7 under the tree (replacing my iPad 3). I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

I almost can't believe it. I've sold so many people on Apple products over the years. Sad to see it come to this.

It almost sounds as if it's untrue... - I'm not saying it is, it's just that it's hard to believe. (Note to mods - not a personal attack...)
Please hear me out, it's not a personal attack.
A- The retina display- you can't see the individual pixels afaik....
B- Why 3 iPhone 5's?
C- Why not just return it/argue with the Genius?
D- I had to replace my iPhone 3GS because of a dead pixel, and they handled it right away...

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Do it. Just so you know Samsung's quality control is miles more pathetic than Apple's. Go to the xda developer forum and see how the galaxy nexus owners were treated by Samsung. Some people just need to know the truth before they make wild and baseless statements.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I don't know if I'd call it hell, haha. But I use the phone less because of it. I actually use my old iPhone 4 (which was perfect from day one) on wifi when I'm at home and just leave the 5 on the table so I don't have to stare at that stupid spot.

I understand what you mean. I absolutely hate dead pixels and I feel like that a company like Apple should repair/offer a replacement for this - especially because they like to talk about how great their Retina displays are.

Oddly enough, for an iPad you need three dead pixels while for an iPhone one dead pixel is enough (according to Apple) to get a replacement device.

Definitely try to get it fixed (possibly by calling Apple). I came from an iPhone 4 and I absolutely love it: the bigger display, the great-looking games, the incredible fast speeds, the better cameras, the new design (and how thin it is) and the (for me) improved 3G speeds.

Good luck - I hope you'll get a great-working iPhone 5!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
first off 1 dead pixel on a iPhone/iPod is most certainly not within spec, you just had a prick "genius"... i swapped my iPhone 5 at the genius bar because it had a STUCK pixel not even a dead pixel and no questions were asked.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
A dead pixel!!!?????

tumblr_mc9ihiai4G1rz3j2ho1_250-1.gif

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
first off 1 dead pixel on a iPhone/iPod is most certainly not within spec, you just had a prick "genius"... i swapped my iPhone 5 at the genius bar because it had a STUCK pixel not even a dead pixel and no questions were asked.

Same here swapped 6 iPhone 5 all had stuck pixels no question asked at store.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
My iPhone 5 has a dead pixel, I think it might have 2. It's not like I'm gonna miss a big chunk of any videos, or not be able to see something on screen because of it. They are very small pixels. Get over it, it's a normal part of electronics.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
My iPhone 5 has a dead pixel, I think it might have 2. It's not like I'm gonna miss a big chunk of any videos, or not be able to see something on screen because of it. They are very small pixels. Get over it, it's a normal part of electronics.

you're probably right. maybe at some point i'll stop caring/noticing it. but until then, the first thing i look at every time i look at the phone is that stupid spot. haha.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

While it is normal for these types of screens to exhibit dead pixels it doesn't mean you have to live with it. Apple policy states that 1 dead pixel on an iPhone is too many. That being the case if you have a dead pixel you should be able to replace it. If you don't care and the dead pixel is in a location your eyes aren't scanning constantly you won't notice, but if that sucker is in the middle or the screen or an obnoxious color you will be fixated by it no matter how little you care.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I'm interested in the theory here - if you're not supposed to be able to identify a single pixel on a retina display at normal viewing distance, you shouldn't notice a dead one surely? Or is it more than one?

I concede that a dead pixel in the wrong place is really annoying though, I had one on my Nintendo DS.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have had an iPad replaced from a dead pixel. But I have to ask...why is it your third iPhone 5? What did you get the other two replaced for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.