Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
just to add to what others said, there has been ZERO issues with quality control of defects.

People not liking the screen is not a flaw or defect....

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
No quality control problems here.

I did find that text on the web to be too small on default Safari. There are some workarounds, but I chose to switch to Mercury Browser where I can change the default text size. I love everything about it now!

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
The only issue is that the mute switch (at least when it is in the on position) jiggles a little when you touch it. It doesn't seem like it is solidly in place. Anybody else have this issue? Obviously it's not a functional issue, but not something that i've noticed with other iPads.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Mine's perfect. And my only, ONLY, complaint is the screen gets covered in fingerprints :p I want to get a Smart Cover but I keep hearing they suck for the Mini. I'm looking for something similar atm but haven't seen anything that has caught my eye.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I'm loving mine so far!!! And I also like the Smart Cover. No defects or issues so far that I have noticed

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
An issue is a gap running down the left side of the device where the glass meets the aluminium. I have seen this on many iPad Minis. Debris gets stuck in there very easily, but Apple will swap it out, as they did mine...

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
just to add to what others said, there has been ZERO issues with quality control of defects.

People not liking the screen is not a flaw or defect....

Really? are you all knowing? Go back and read my posts. Your opinion doesn't account for what we all saw and what the apple employees saw.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for the advice, Terminator. You were right! I called all the stores within 100 miles from me, and a few Best Buy stores in nearby towns, and none of them have the $329 Ipad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi in stock. They all have absolutely no idea when they will be getting more either. I knew going in that Apple was having some supply chain issues with the touch screen, and that the Ipad Mini will be a hot item this Christmas. But after a month I thought I could get one readily at the Apple stores. I was wrong. :)

The only problem with the iPad mini is it's very hard to find a store that has one in stock.

If you plan to get one this weekend, you should start calling stores as early as tomorrow and see if they will hold one for you.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
I have wifi issues.

Oddly, the two main networks I connect to at home and work are fine (both wireless N), but when I'm out and about connecting to public networks or at my girlfriends place (wireless G).... I have issues. I can see the networks (often at full bar) and try to connect... most of the time it'll just say 'unable to connect to the network'. Sometimes I get to the password screen, I type it in... then the same.

I've done all the resets possible and its still the same. I can only connect to my girlfriends network if my mini is <1ft away from the router.

I will be hoping a replacement fixes this for me, just haven't had the time to get to an apple store just yet.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
The size of the mini has been the best thing for me. I immediately gave up my ipad Retina. Yeah, the screen is a little fuzzier than the retina, but I really wasn't getting much from the retina. A single game the retina helped with really small text. And some websites, the retina helped with small text without zooming.

Other than those two situations, the mini is better in every which way. I can carry it in a coat pocket, it feels like it weighs nothing, battery is better in my usage, and in general its just more enjoyable to use. I get all that in exchange for a little pinch and zoom on some (very few) websites.

The smart cover isn't as good, but it works. It tends to come undone from the triangle shape easier than the full size smart cover. Its not all the time, but it happens enough for me to notice I have to fiddle with it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I've had two both with debris under the screen.

Debris ?!? :eek:

I'm sorry, I don't speak English as my primary language but .... debris ?!? :confused:

What do you mean ? Maybe you are speaking about dust particles aren't you ?
Otherwise your iPad mini is quite defective.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Had my iPad mini for 2 weeks now and not one single problem. I have the red smart cover and it fits perfectly. In fact since getting my iPad mini I have only used my iPad 3 a handful of times. Considering selling the iPad 3.

The iPad mini size is perfect, I take it everywhere now and it has made my backpack or messenger bag a little lighter. Sometimes I have to double check it's in there.

Ric WRX

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2011
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ipad mini

I got mine on opening day at Target. It is the first tablet for me, since I got it, I have not used my Macbook air. I wasn't sure about using a tablet, but so far I like it.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
My screen flickers/dims rapidly! It's not a 0%-100% brightness flicker but a 50%-75% flicker...so it's noticeable. When I tap on the back of the ipad with my finger it's a 0-100% flicker so I'm thinking that the LCD ribbon cable inside is not making complete contact, or is partially unplugged. :( Now for a trip back to the apple store...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Portrait mode for web browsing isn't great depending on one's vision. Landscape is better or one can use another browser to increase font size.

No real problems with the Mini other than the screen. Other than that, pretty smooth sailing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm thinking about picking up the Ipad Mini this weekend as a Christmas gift for my wife, and I wanted to know if there are any issues with this first batch of Ipad Minis that I should be concerned about. I was going to purchase one when it was released, but thought I should wait at least a month to see if any problem arises. Is there any heating, hardware or wifi antenna problems with the new Ipad Mini? Thanks.
I'm _very_ pleased to report that the new mini's have proven to be very bug free. I have bought six for various family members and all have been just fine.

----------

No real problems with the Mini other than the screen. Other than that, pretty smooth sailing.

There is _nothing_ wrong with the display. Period.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the advice, Terminator. You were right! I called all the stores within 100 miles from me, and a few Best Buy stores in nearby towns, and none of them have the $329 Ipad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi in stock. They all have absolutely no idea when they will be getting more either. I knew going in that Apple was having some supply chain issues with the touch screen, and that the Ipad Mini will be a hot item this Christmas. But after a month I thought I could get one readily at the Apple stores. I was wrong. :)

I think that you can still order an ipad mini on apple.com after 10pm each evening for in-store pickup. The stores update their ipad mini inventory at that time, and you can check to see if stores in your area have them. I was able to get a wifi+LTE 64gb model this way.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
No problems so far. Don't expect the quality to be any different from the other Apple products I've purchased within the past year so that's a good thing. Not a problem but one thing to keep in mind if you're a constant traveller or busy person is that it does charge slower with the provided 5 watt charger. It definitely charges faster off the Mac if I need it to but I usually charge overnight so it's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.