Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
What's odd is that the main problem (I've seen) with Maps is the POI list. The roads all look right.

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Apple plz put back Google maps ( with Turn-by-turn) as an option... Everyone will be happy camper and grateful.

There is ways Apple sucks (social,cloud, making affordable computer for students etc) and maps will be another one of them....Google send real peoples in the Grand Canyon for their map! They are AWESOME for that kind of think Wake up!!!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple,

Just buy google already and make their maps (with voice navigation) yours.

You know that the purchase would barely make a dent in your corporate surplus anyways.

What's stopping you? Anti-trust?

Google's market cap is close to 200 billion dollars. How do you figure that it "would barely make a dent" ?

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
please Apple, don't fire me....

oh...i forgot..
thanks god, i don't work for Apple

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What's odd is that the main problem (I've seen) with Maps is the POI list. The roads all look right.

I have 2 issues with roads :

- Roads are now missing when they were there in the Google Maps version of the application in iOS 5.

- The god awful "pretty" rendering that makes maps unreadable. Roads are too thin, colors are non-distinctive. There's a reason Google Maps is "ugly", because it's easy to read at a glance.

freelancing

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
They should buy Waze - awesome social interaction and brilliant interface for reporting issues and crowdsourcing is already there with speed, etc... then put their gorgeous cartography on top of it.

For a first venture, Apple's maps is actually quite elegant in many aspects. I'm sure the next iteration will be quite an improvement.

I had my TomTom GO 2435 on my dash along side my iPhone 4S to compare the mapping. I saw no evidence of true re-routing or crowdsourcing as promised in Apple's mapping. After a month of testing them side by side, I stopped using Apple's maps.

Then, I started using Waze - and tested that side by side w/ my TomTom for a month. The Waze app won hands-down. Not 'perfect,' but close enough - and a lot more intuitive menus than TomTom.

I LOVE Waze for navigating road hazards, reporting police activity and for traffic and re-routing - beats the pants off Google & TomTom big time. Apple+Waze would be too awesome for words.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Obvious Lieutenant of Scott Forestall walks the corporate gang plank.........sigh.....yawn..... Another day in corporate America.

Call me when there is a different ending to these stories :)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
How this happened originally is crazy. Firing people now is too late - the mess already happened.

I guess we shouldn't jail people who commit murder either - the mess already happened.

Firing people shows other employees that what you do at the company matters. You don't get a free ride, if you royally screw up, you're gone. And if you're really successful, you get rewarded. All companies need to keep this structure in place, but it's actually very rare in the world.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Personally haven't had any issues so far with it leading me places, where it falls flat on its face though is finding me shops and businesses.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In my personal use I would say apple maps is correct about 1/3 of the time. I can't really "trust" them =/

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I think that is really a mean thing to do - to fire someone just because a product didn't turn out perfectly.

You gonna fire everybody that makes a mistake? That would leave no one to make your shiny Apple products.

Of course there might have been things going on that weren't made public. But on the face of it, it just seems unfair.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Did they have to name the poor guy?

Alright, fire him, but let him go quietly so he can get a respectable job somewhere. (Not doing maps, obviously.)

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Apple should really come to google, hat-in-hand and let them handle map development again. :eek:

dugbee

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
When someone is having trouble with software, I usually ask them to Google it for a solution. Seems applicable.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I think that is really a mean thing to do - to fire someone just because a product didn't turn out perfectly.

You gonna fire everybody that makes a mistake? That would leave no one to make your shiny Apple products.

Of course there might have been things going on that weren't made public. But on the face of it, it just seems unfair.

Agree, especially naming him publicly, however Steve Jobs wasn't above such acts. In fact, he was very quick to fire, demean, persecute anyone whom he believed did not do their job by his standards.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
One would hope so, it tells me my nearest pub is 47 miles away. Anyone living in the UK knows this is impossible.

It's because it's pulling data from Yelp, which many (if not most) businesses don't care to update.

Apple should be pulling their data from Foursquare, which end users curate, and thus is more up to date and accurate. But I can't see Apple being willing to trust end users to do anything, so oh well.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
- Roads are now missing when they were there in the Google Maps version of the application in iOS 5.

This. There are so many roads missing which are in Google maps. You can find the main roads but the smaller ones are gone. I know this isn't so for the entirety of the world, but I can only speak from personal experience.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Personally haven't had any issues so far with it leading me places, where it falls flat on its face though is finding me shops and businesses.

Right, and the big problem is that most of these shops and businesses have expended great effort getting their data correct in Google, but not necessarily other POI databases.

I work with a charity (a summer camp) I recently set up our location as a "place" with Google. I had to register our business, set up an account, and verify the location by having Google send us a USPS postcard.

Then once our location was verified and my Google Places account was enabled, I wrote up descriptions, keywords, inserted photos, videos, information about our specials, website, etc. Great! Now anyone can search for our company name on Google Maps and find all this stuff and get directions.

... except now, all iPhone and iPad users who search for our name get... nothing. Now I have to start all over again.

Repeat for gazillions of small businesses across the globe and you see why results aren't accurate and people aren't happy.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Did they have to name the poor guy?

Alright, fire him, but let him go quietly so he can get a respectable job somewhere. (Not doing maps, obviously.)

I'm sure he has enough money in the bank and enough in stock that if he chooses to, he will never have to work again. And if he chooses to, I'm sure he won't have problems finding work.

But yes, it is unusual to publicly disclose a high profile firing. Typically, they say something along the lines of "leaving to pursue other interests."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.