Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:50 PM   #301
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
This is a forum, not a popularity contest. Not only do I not care what others think, I have no reason to up vote my own post. The person who made that accusation by assumption, would do well to look in the mirror.

This is a forum for expressing opinions, experiences and preferences. Those that have a problem with it; are too emotionally attached to their possessions.
Don't worry, if Maps wasn't a disaster we wouldn't be having this discussion
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:07 AM   #302
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
don't worry, if maps wasn't a disaster we wouldn't be having this discussion
No doubt
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:47 AM   #303
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
This is a forum, not a popularity contest. Not only do I not care what others think, I have no reason to up vote my own post. The person who made that accusation by assumption, would do well to look in the mirror.

This is a forum for expressing opinions, experiences and preferences. Those that have a problem with it; are too emotionally attached to their possessions.
Oh how ironic coming from a guy who dismissed other people's input on the maps topic based on their personal experience
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:57 AM   #304
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Not seen any changes to the submissions I've made multiple times over the last two months. Made a suggestion on Google maps and got an email confirmation within 24 hours thanking me and pointing me to the changed map...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #305
psollitt
macrumors newbie

Location: Peoples republic of west yorkshire and out of a suitcase
They must be so overwhelmed with the shear volume that they cannot even start to change / update it .. Until it is in a usable state with POI's in the right place I won't use it .. Even the reporting feature does not work at the moment ...
psollitt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 PM   #306
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

I had my 1st Apple Maps sent me to the wrong place incident today and when you're late and counting on the GPS, this turns into a nightmare. I now understand why people were upset in the 1st place.
BenTrovato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:12 PM   #307
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
I had my 1st Apple Maps sent me to the wrong place incident today and when you're late and counting on the GPS, this turns into a nightmare. I now understand why people were upset in the 1st place.
Details? Incorrect poi? Right address, wrong location on map?
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:20 PM   #308
louis.b
Banned

In Australia Apple map is great. As a matter of fact I got lost the other day trying to use the web version of Google map. After 1 hours of walking around I tried Apple map and it worked. The people who like to call iPhone5 broken/ sub par/ feature phone, etc. can feel free to walk to Android. Have fun having a plethora of carriers' apps on your phone taking up your memory, have fun waiting for Android updates, have fun waiting for not having updates at all. I jumped ship from Android and I love the iPhone5.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:34 PM   #309
BRyken
macrumors 6502

I guess I've never really had any problems with Apple maps. Granted, I'm not a heavy maps user, but when I needed it in a pinch it worked and didn't give me any problems. So to say they are improving, hard for me to say.

Albiet I did notice some areas gain 3D that didn't have it before, so I would say yes.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:46 PM   #310
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Whenever I have used maps, it gets me to where I want to be.

When I have an issue, I'll let you know.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #311
nabwong
macrumors regular

Can't find so many POIs that I could with google. Gave up and got a real GPS on black friday.
nabwong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:11 AM   #312
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonerepairs1 View Post
I think google map is far better then apple map.
What an original comment, we certainly have never heard this before! /s

Last edited by JS82712; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:50 AM   #313
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonerepairs1 View Post
I think google map is far better then apple map.
Google Maps has been around for 7 years what do you expect?
dinggus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:05 AM   #314
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
We all know that Apple has indicated they are working around the clock to fix the problems with Maps, but has anybody actually noticed improvements yet?

I reported a number of errors on iOS 6 release day but none of them have been fixed yet.
In fairness to Apple. It is a daunting task.

I'd give them a full year before expecting much.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 AM   #315
garybUK

Just noticed this morning there is a LOT more traffic info and not just on motorways and not just in the cities, they just need to show traffic in turn by turn mode now
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:32 AM   #316
Daysight
macrumors regular

Apple maps works

Flew to a Canadian city on business and drove couple of hours to hotel in a small town. Apple maps voice turn by turn worked flawlessly. Both the voice and visuals made navigating the roads from airport to hotel drop dead easy in unfamiliar locations. I was in the back seat and handed my iPhone to the front seat passenger, who had never seen it before. The driver listened to the voice. I compared with Navigon on my iPad and was impressed with the better look and feel of Apple Maps. No complaints here.

Look forward to more POIs.
Daysight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:18 AM   #317
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Flyovers are now available for my location, so there is some progress.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:05 PM   #318
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Google maps was probably better 7 years ago. Less likely to take you to the wrong location, at least.
DaffyDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 PM   #319
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
When I have one product and it's taken away from me and replaced with another, I expect the latter to be as good (if not better) than the first.

It doesn't matter how much longer or more experience Google has with their maps. Apple chose to remove and replace them with an inferior product and I (and many others) had to suffer for it.
cyks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:18 PM   #320
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
When I have one product and it's taken away from me and replaced with another, I expect the latter to be as good (if not better) than the first.

It doesn't matter how much longer or more experience Google has with their maps. Apple chose to remove and replace them with an inferior product and I (and many others) had to suffer for it.
I hear you. And while I agree, I must add that Apple removed the built in functionality for Maps. Google hasn't submitted any Maps application yet. When they do, you will have a choice between the two, and you will be happy.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:35 PM   #321
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
I hear you. And while I agree, I must add that Apple removed the built in functionality for Maps. Google hasn't submitted any Maps application yet. When they do, you will have a choice between the two, and you will be happy.
Really? So I'll be able to tell Siri, "Remind me when I leave home, using Google's Maps, to buy milk." ? Will my friends/ family and I will be able to use Google's Maps for the 'Find My' features? What about 3rd party apps... will Apple change it so I can set a different map as the default for the API?

No. I won't be happy when Google releases theirs because I still won't have a choice.
cyks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #322
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Really? So I'll be able to tell Siri, "Remind me when I leave home, using Google's Maps, to buy milk." ? Will my friends/ family and I will be able to use Google's Maps for the 'Find My' features? What about 3rd party apps... will Apple change it so I can set a different map as the default for the API?

No. I won't be happy when Google releases theirs because I still won't have a choice.
Then get a new phone.

The guy above gave you options and yet you chose not to listen.

I'm sure a Cydia app will come out that will let you decide Apple Maps or Google Maps. Just like the Cydia app that allows me to use Google Voice instead of Siri.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:16 AM   #323
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Then get a new phone.
Right, because that's always the solution...spend years investing into an ecosystem and apps and leave when there's a problem instead of trying to get Apple to make right on the problems they caused.

Quote:
The guy above gave you options and yet you chose not to listen.
No, they didn't. None of the options listed would solve my current problems.

Quote:
I'm sure a Cydia app will come out that will let you decide Apple Maps or Google Maps. Just like the Cydia app that allows me to use Google Voice instead of Siri.
Very true, but in the meantime myself and many others are forced to be inconvenienced without any help or solutions.
cyks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:25 AM   #324
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Details? Incorrect poi? Right address, wrong location on map?
Wrong location on map. About 7 km off. The location turned out to be a major inconvenience to turn around so I was late for a meeting. It depends on the circumstance, if I'm just out running errands I wouldn't have cared so much.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:57 PM   #325
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Right, because that's always the solution...spend years investing into an ecosystem and apps and leave when there's a problem instead of trying to get Apple to make right on the problems they caused.

No, they didn't. None of the options listed would solve my current problems.

Very true, but in the meantime myself and many others are forced to be inconvenienced without any help or solutions.
It's obvious Apple is working on a solution as they are firing people over the Maps. Every time my wife has used the maps, it's never gave us the wrong information.

Can't you use the google web based maps?

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause arguments.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6