Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam The Slayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Carson City, NV
iPhone doesn't get defended because it's so much better than android, it doesn't need to be(coning from an ex-android user). Android is like the unsophisticated smart phone. Thus no one fights for iPhone because there is no argument. iPhone is better, plain and simple.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'd like a bigger screen, but without physically making the phone any larger.

Seems they might be headed that direction if rumors come true about them getting rid of the home button and making it gesture-only (also avoids the problem of the home button getting worn out.) Maybe we could get a bit extra screen real estate that way...

Gah, no, I really don't want a gesture only thing for the phone. I'm sorry, but that is just a really bad idea.

First of all, gestures on a phone, way too small a space.

Secondly, it makes it very hard to use the phone one with just one hand (like for example when I have a dog on a leash and need to look something up, I do not have two hands free. Or even when reading something on the phone and eating. Pretty much kills being able to multitask while using the phone).

Now, I wouldn't object to a seperate "button" that was capacitive instead of a physical button, but I still want it to be something that one can just feel for and one doesn't need to make a gesture for but just tap with a thumb/forefinger.

And I personally like that they keep the phone symmetrical even in landscape position (makes it easier to use as a gaming device and just looks better when watching stuff on it) so I would want the top bezel to be as thick as the bottom. Since it is a device designed to look at, looks are actually important (and not looking weird).

Anyways, I think the current screen is fine for a compromise between size of phone and size of screen. If they can some how finagle it to have a bigger screen without making the phone longer or wider (a little bit thicker won't annoy me though) I'd be fine with that. Otherwise it's not worth the compromise at all to me.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
iPhone doesn't get defended because it's so much better than android, it doesn't need to be(coning from an ex-android user). Android is like the unsophisticated smart phone. Thus no one fights for iPhone because there is no argument. iPhone is better, plain and simple.

In that line of thinking, if it is that much better, why is there a need to bash competing products (this does not just apply to Android but Windows, Linux, Symbian Meego e.t.c)?

If you think the iPhone does not get defended, have a read of this very thread, plenty of defense going on.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

I nearly got the pop corn out for this thread !

Lots of pissing contests going on here !

The way I look at it is,

if the device, gadget or handset provides me with what I need to get out of the device, then i'll buy it.

I always do lots of homework before buying into my fones.

Brands will and always will be a factor wether your buying a pair of jeans or an electrical gadget ! Consumer confidence.

I used Nokia products for over 20 years, because the items I was interested in fulfilled my needs and wants.

Their newest fones dont and after buying two Nokia smartfone handsets that fell below my own expectations, I looked at others as well as apple.

The iphone4 ticked all my wants and needs basket !

When a friend or colleague asks what fone I have and I say an iphone 4, then if I get a derogatory reply about apple/iphone products, then my simple reply is thats your opinion, fine !

I feel no need to defend apple to anyone.

Normally after comparing the specs with theirs and what my device can do compared to their own handset, thats enough to silence them anyway !!

One said well the app's are all for kids and useless.

As an example I showed him the simple Sky+ app.
They said oh yes you can see the sky tv listings, thats ok.

I then showed how I can then set a programme to record from the app.

Reply was....... WoW, awesome.

Enough said !

Its plain and simple choice !

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Why does it matter?

I mean, I come here for the talk & discussion and to me the most annoying ones are those who can't admit any fault or issues.

If Android has something better, tell me about it

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Why does it matter?

I mean, I come here for the talk & discussion and to me the most annoying ones are those who can't admit any fault or issues.

If Android has something better, tell me about it

Well, I miss the way Android rejects phone calls: two visual buttons on the lock screen. Slide one to the right unlocks the phone (just like the iOS). Slide the other to the left during an incoming call rejects the call.

If there's not an incoming call and you slide the button to the left, it turns on/off silent mode. The lock screen always shows if you were in silent mode.

Rejecting a call was the only thing I had to look in the user's guide to figure out how to do. That's one of the few really sloppy things in the iPhone UI.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Why don't I actively defend the iPhone??

I personally don't expect anyone else to use a phone for the exact same reasons I do, nor do I project my opinion on what I think is best on anyone else. For me this is true for both Macs, and Cellular phones.

Like myself, many other legacy Mac users (who also have and support iPhones) tend to be non confrontational when it comes to topics like that. Mostly because we are used to being in the minority, and people not understanding our wants and needs.

Choice is great, I choose to use both a Mac, and an iPhone, because it fits me.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
I personally don't expect anyone else to use a phone for the exact same reasons I do, nor do I project my opinion on what I think is best on anyone else. For me this is true for both Macs, and Cellular phones.

Like myself, many other legacy Mac users (who also have and support iPhones) tend to be non confrontational when it comes to topics like that. Mostly because we are used to being in the minority, and people not understanding our wants and needs.

Choice is great, I choose to use both a Mac, and an iPhone, because it fits me.

Often times, I find myself in the middle of the argument between user experience and functionality. One that, for good reason, cannot be won. This is why I generally try to stay away from the argument altogether. It's a pointless argument that is entirely based on the opinion of the user.

However, what I generally find (at least in my personal experience) is that most android users aren't willing accept the fact that someone could possibly like a less functional device better because they like the user experience better.

It tends to round about with the closed minded ideology that one device cannot possibly be better for someone or deliver a better experience with less functionality through the hardware or software. Which is something that has long kept Apple users in that minority that you mentioned and is reminiscent of why many PC users hate Macs.

That sort of, "but it doesn't play games," mentality that is not only ignorant, but inconsequential to the user. If I wanna play games, I'll turn on my gaming console. If I wanna play PC, games I'll buy a PC. If I want that sort of functionality, I'll buy the device that offers it. If I haven't bought that device then I obviously don't need, nor want badly enough, that functionality.

Burne Jones

Suspended
Jul 7, 2011
Because half the posts that trash Android are by people who have no idea what they are talking about. The posts are completely wrong and inaccurate.

We're not defending Android, we're just simply saying that you're wrong.

Yeah I am confused by privously posts here, the meaning of the asker was that we don't need to so defend android issues here and wonder the reasons of that!

I am new here and I think I will gradually enter into the atmosphere of this forum.

mooseolly

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

I take no offense to the comment at all, just further proves my point.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.

"Android simply can not compete with the iPhone"

You are a bias guy, opinions from a bias guy is bound to get some disagreements. This is common sense. Not everyone can agree on the same thing. Subjectivity at it's best.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.

About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
People defend themselves because they are not sure of the unknown. They use what they know to fight back.

:)

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011

I wouldn't say that. I have used both Android phones and iPhones. In fact, I have a 5 right now. I would say that they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, there's nothing to argue about.

At the end of the day, it's up to personal choice. Bashing or siding with one is simply retarded. You are the consumer, you choose whatever fits your needs best, and it's not like you can only have one or the other. Only retards side with one and bash the other.

----------

Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.

About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.

Ignorance isn't a bliss in your case. I have a 5 right now, and I enjoy using my Android phones just as much as I enjoy using the 5 now. There's nothing wrong with choosing a phone that fits your taste/needs.

And you think wrong, christ, I don't even think you know how to think at all. It is nothing like windows vs mac os x if you actually know what you are talking about. They are both Unix based OSs and they are both prone to malwares..etc. It's up to the attacker to target who.

Siding with one and mindlessly bashing the other is simply retarded. It's like bashing people out at the bakery for choosing a bagel over a cake or bashing people for drinking coke instead of pepsi.

And that comment about ppl not being able to afford iphones? What a joke..

Last edited by a moderator:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

My Note 2 cost me $80 more than the iPhone5.

Find me examples of people complaining because of malware on Android.

Here is one for the iPhone:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1381277/

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
Well, I love my iPhone 4S, and can't detach myself from using it.

That said I have nothing against Andriod and it's users, though I admit I am afraid to own anything Android. It's an entirely whole new ecosystem for me and I am so used to the simplicity of iOS.

So i stick to what works for me :)

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Well, I love my iPhone 4S, and can't detach myself from using it.

That said I have nothing against Andriod and it's users, though I admit I am afraid to own anything Android. It's an entirely whole new ecosystem for me and I am so used to the simplicity of iOS.

So i stick to what works for me :)

Which is a perfectly valid reason. Unlike some people that shoot out gibberish of reasons why they do not want to try an Android phone.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
"Android simply can not compete with the iPhone"

You are a bias guy, opinions from a bias guy is bound to get some disagreements. This is common sense. Not everyone can agree on the same thing. Subjectivity at it's best.

Bringing up a year and a half old thread really makes your point valid.

Especially since the argument has been dormant for over a year.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Different strokes for different folks, I'm not an android guy, the layout is kind of time-consuming for me. I'd rather own an iPhone since most of my friends have it and the apps are better, which is a point that cannot be argued.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

"full of malware, virus and spyware"?

I think many will stand up for Android because of posts like this, when people try to convince others of stuff that aren't true.

I have myself had three Android devices (been an Android User since 2010) and I have family and many friends with Android devices. I have myself personally not seen or heard of any Android device that have had problems with malware, virus or spyware.

Since a month back however i am a iPhone 5 user. I miss some things from my Xperia Ray and am somewhat disappointed by the iP5 build quality (have gotten a flaked shamfer even though I've treated it like a baby and used a silicone cover/bumper since day 1), maps (that will be improving) and I miss my quick settings widgets. But I can have more apps installed on it (limited memory for apps was a bit drawback with the Ray for me) and like it's better smoothness. I'm still learning stuff and think the iP5 is a better fit for me than the Ray in the long run.

I don't think iOS or Android is best for everyone, it's a matter of personal preferences and what you use your phone for. I can't take someone that categorically says iOS is best or that Android is best for anyone serious and I suggest nobody else does that.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Different strokes for different folks, I'm not an android guy, the layout is kind of time-consuming for me. I'd rather own an iPhone since most of my friends have it and the apps are better, which is a point that cannot be argued.

LOL anything can be argued. I for one agree that the Apps available on iOS are better however, you can argue that Android is better.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Post full of fail sorry.

----------

LOL anything can be argued. I for one agree that the Apps available on iOS are better however, you can argue that Android is better.

The iPhone has more top quality apps, android has plenty though.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It seems that many Android owners have an inferiority complex when it comes to the iPhone. Always trying to prove that whatever device they're using is better than the iPhone or how much smarter they think they are than iphome users. Seems like most people I encounter with iPhones simply don't care/ignore other phones and OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.