Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Flew into Dallas, rented a car and drove to Austin last weekend for the race...

I found TWO absolutely fundamental errors in the Apple IOS6 Maps turn-by-turn directions.

Fortunately the wife still has Google maps on her iPhone and she was able to correct me before we ended up on a major detour through the hinterland.

I won't rehash all my gripes about the usability and lack of street view (which I REALLY missed while helping my sister look for rental property recently).

It's sad to watch "The Decline and Fall of the Apple Empire" in real-time, but as we all know nothing lasts forever.

izzysanime

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
How come he was fired for a map issue which is not that big of a deal when no one was fired for the antenna issue on the iPhone 4???

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Hey Eddy, I hear there are some folks at Google that have some years of experience with maps if you are serious regarding looking for 'outside help from others'! :D
/
/

Omacc

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
just buy Tomtom , it works way better than garmin and ios maps.. i doubt they can make it as good as it. Put it this way, if you want a quality gps navigation for iphone, your going to have to pay for it. Im thinking apple maps might have a paid version or subscription in the future

slippyr4

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Maybe he was useless, who knows. But the problem with Apple's Maps is not the software itself - that's actually pretty good. It's that the data underpinning it is not as good as Google's.

That is hard to rectify without time and/or money thrown at it.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
and yet there are still fanboys in this forum insisting nothing is wrong with Apple Maps. :confused:

I can only speak for myself, but I've used it in 4 major metropolitan areas across the country and haven't encountered any real problems (no more than Google).

You can consider that fanboy talk. But for me its fact.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
MacRumors said:
"Cue, who took over last month as part of a management shakeup, is seeking advice from outside mapping-technology experts and prodding digital maps provider TomTom NV to fix landmark and navigation data it shares with Apple."

This is the biggest problem I have. POI information is just inaccurate. It'll show a store or hotel/gas station/restaurant blocks away from its actual location, on the wrong side of the road or on a completely different street.

POI information is terrible on Apple maps.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
They should buy Waze - awesome social interaction and brilliant interface for reporting issues and crowdsourcing is already there with speed, etc... then put their gorgeous cartography on top of it.

For a first venture, Apple's maps is actually quite elegant in many aspects. I'm sure the next iteration will be quite an improvement.

I had my TomTom GO 2435 on my dash along side my iPhone 4S to compare the mapping. I saw no evidence of true re-routing or crowdsourcing as promised in Apple's mapping. After a month of testing them side by side, I stopped using Apple's maps.

Then, I started using Waze - and tested that side by side w/ my TomTom for a month. The Waze app won hands-down. Not 'perfect,' but close enough - and a lot more intuitive menus than TomTom.

I LOVE Waze for navigating road hazards, reporting police activity and for traffic and re-routing - beats the pants off Google & TomTom big time. Apple+Waze would be too awesome for words.

I thought they were already getting data from Waze?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
How this happened originally is crazy. Firing people now is too late - the mess already happened.
It would be best if they could have fixed this before the mess happened, but it did so at this point it makes it look like the problem has been recognized and they are doing something about it.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Flew into Dallas, rented a car and drove to Austin last weekend for the race...

I found TWO absolutely fundamental errors in the Apple IOS6 Maps turn-by-turn directions.

Fortunately the wife still has Google maps on her iPhone and she was able to correct me before we ended up on a major detour through the hinterland.

It's sad to watch "The Decline and Fall of the Apple Empire" in real-time, but as we all know nothing lasts forever.

Sad to watch people call "dooms day" over a couple missteps. It seems like if Apple doesn't blow everyone away with something over the top amazing it's the beginning of the end.

Apple Maps is not perfect, but it seems like these recent missteps have been a reminder to Apple of the quality we expect... a good thing in the long run.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
How come he was fired for a map issue which is not that big of a deal when no one was fired for the antenna issue on the iPhone 4???

The guy in charge of iDevice hardware engineering left Apple shortly after the iPhone 4 release.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
So far I have used the maps app in St Louis, Ohio and DC. I have not run into any issues. Surely, I am one of the lucky ones. Apple working to make the app better will help everyone.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Maybe he was useless, who knows. But the problem with Apple's Maps is not the software itself - that's actually pretty good. It's that the data underpinning it is not as good as Google's.

That is hard to rectify without time and/or money thrown at it.
Yeah, Google has spent many years and lots of moolah to make their maps work.

This was a new project for Apple in an area where they didn't have much expertise.

Firing the manager was simply a disgusting act, it seems to me. Someone decreed that heads must roll. Who would want to take on a high risk product at Apple now? Probably many folks I suppose :)

seven2k7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Nice ball washing.....itunes is old....icloud never took off so they forced it onto the OS....Siri is outdated see popsci.....like i said nice ball washing.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
If Forestall and Williamson were giving assurance that the mapping system would be up and running with minimum flaws for iOS 6, then I can understand these moves. Someone should have been more hesitant to make the change and more conservative on the timeframe.

Google Maps started in 2005 and was in beta for 6 months. It was unrealistic to catch up and leap beyond them in the year or two Apple had in my opinion. Anyone from the Tim Cook down should have realized this wasn't ready for primetime. It probably should have been released as a beta like Siri, while keeping Google's Maps app as a secondary option until iOS7. As more information comes out over the next few months and years, it will be interesting to find out what all went down and what those involved were saying and doing behind the scenes.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple plz put back Google maps ( with Turn-by-turn) as an option...

Google's refusal to grant Turn-by-Turn to their Maps application unless they were granted access to all of our user data is one of the major reasons we're in this mess.

Google Maps started in 2005 and was in beta for 6 months. It was unrealistic to catch up and leap beyond them in the year or two Apple had in my opinion. Anyone from the Tim Cook down should have realized this wasn't ready for primetime. It probably should have been released as a beta like Siri, while keeping Google's Maps app as a secondary option until iOS7.

I imagine they did have an idea of the lack of polish on the app, but by "tearing the band-aid off" and forcing iOS 6 users onto the system would flag all these errors and allow Apple to start directly addressing them.

I also believe that Apple's strategic decision to develop and run their own maps application required them to do this with iOS 6. If they launched it as a Beta and allowed Google to stay, Google could have backed off on their demands and continue their hold on mapping on iOS by giving the same feature set as Android's Maps app. That could (likely would) have undermined adoption of Apple Maps, just as the superior voice search capability in one of Google's apps is showing Siri's weaknesses.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Google's refusal to grant Turn-by-Turn to their Maps application unless they were granted access to all of our user data is one of the major reasons we're in this mess.
Well if that's the case, I'm VERY happy that Apple didn't acquiesce to Google's demands.

Google seem to have ZERO respect for our privacy concerns. Same with Facebook.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
So what do you suggest they do? Keep the people responsible on staff and give up? :rolleyes:

The question is, were these "responsible" people actually the ones who took the "brave" decision to try and re-create, from a standing start, something that Google have had 7 years to perfect (on top of their original development time)?

Were they the ones who pushed it out as a production item and removed the old app, while the Google license reputedly still had a year to run?

The debacle could have been avoided by running it as an optional beta for a year while the kinks were ironed out. People would have tried it out to get turn-by-turn, so they'd have got plenty of feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.