Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Keep in mind that this is not a regular update. Also keep in mind it was delayed a full month.

This update, and the circumstances surrounding it, are not like most updates.

----------

That too

basically it can come out anytime between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm PST.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Given how much of the app they showed at the September event, and how stable it all was, I'd say the delay was due to the store makeover.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Not necessarily anything unannounced. This is the same company that needs to take its site down for hours to update it.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
I mean Apple always has trouble with web properties. If the company takes its site down for hours just to update the product line-up then it wouldn't surprise me that a major redesign of such a well used site/webapp as iTunes might pose difficulties.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I mean Apple always has trouble with web properties. If the company takes its site down for hours just to update the product line-up then it wouldn't surprise me that a major redesign of such a well used site/webapp as iTunes might pose difficulties.

I highly doubt Apple needs to take the store down to update product pages. You don't see Amazon going down before every new product is put in the store.

It creates buzz and anticipation.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
I highly doubt Apple needs to take the store down to update product pages. You don't see Amazon going down before every new product is put in the store.

It creates buzz and anticipation.

I would have thought that too, but I've read numerous accounts over the years from employees who say it is needed downtime and not hype. I mean they are preventing sales by doing it, and sometimes they do it for very minor updates.

Apple's not going to mess with any goodwill by getting people hyped about a mystery update and then delivering…. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/09/apple.aperture/index.html?hpt=T2

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Not necessarily anything unannounced. This is the same company that needs to take its site down for hours to update it.

They don't need to take it down for anything, they choose to take the shop down. There's been plenty of updates to the store without it being taken offline, but when there's something interesting, they like the hype.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I would have thought that too, but I've read numerous accounts over the years from employees who say it is needed downtime and not hype. I mean they are preventing sales by doing it, and sometimes they do it for very minor updates.

I would be surprised if that were the case. They could probably overhaul the backend to avoid the downtime but where would the fun be in that. :p

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
some of the other major releases before iTunes 10 where released around the 10:00 am PST so i guess iTunes11 can come out anytime of day or evening ? so if its not out tomorrow at exactly 10:00 am PST dont panic!

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Update

Sorry guys...

BTW, my photoshop skills are for hire.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 14.44.31 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 14.44.31 .jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 109
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.