Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'd like to kick his little ass too, I checked traffic of google maps and my god it sucked. Had to switch to maps.google.com.

FFS apple pull your ****ing head in and bring google maps back!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another interesting shakeup in the upper management. I hope they can breath some life into the shortcomings of the maps.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Apple plz put back Google maps ( with Turn-by-turn) as an option... Everyone will be happy camper and grateful.

There is ways Apple sucks (social,cloud, making affordable computer for students etc) and maps will be another one of them....Google send real peoples in the Grand Canyon for their map! They are AWESOME for that kind of think Wake up!!!

google won't put turn by turn on the iPhone, hence why apple built their own app in the first place

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well if that's the case, I'm VERY happy that Apple didn't acquiesce to Google's demands.

Google seem to have ZERO respect for our privacy concerns. Same with Facebook.

Google and FaceBook make their money from advertising. User data is very valuable information to advertisers to better target their efforts. So yes, they have a vested interest to not limit access.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I knew there had to be a Dick behind those bad maps (his friends probably call him Richard, but hey) :D. This is a good sign, it means Eddy means business!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
In the US at least, iOS 6 maps has been FAR more steps forward than back.

And just because we decide to NOTICE map errors now doesn’t mean they weren’t a fact of life with Google as well. They were and are. Under Google, we shrugged and found the mapping useful anyway. Under Apple, the same kinds of errors are a war crime apparently :p

It’s not perfect, but if Apple met the challenge this well out of the gate, I look forward to the future a lot!

(And from my armchair, not knowing what went on internally, I’m not seeing a firing offense.)

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
google won't put turn by turn on the iPhone, hence why apple built their own app in the first place

I thought the reason they wouldn't put turn by turn on the iPhone version was because Apple wouldn't let them gather all the data they wanted. With their own app, I would think they could do what they wanted.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Before I read another apple maps works fine .. It doesn't

You can't use navigation walking of using the bus system let alone a bike path as u did with google.

Yelp? A joke

Bring back google maps !

Yes navigation is fine but that does not equal great maps app lol

Flyover ?! Overrated and useless

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Now maybe they can fire whoever is responsible for MacOS X. It's hasn't been any good since v10.6.

I've tried 10.7 & 10.8 and they both stink. I'm not upgrading any of my machines or buying new Macs until they fix the OS disaster.

Note to Apple: A PC is NOT a tablet, people do like 'Save As', and having all icons look identical is not a good thing, just to name a few issues.

Maybe you should make the same argument with Microsoft. Seems that's the direction it's going, like it or not.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
What if they fire this guy weeks ago instead of Scott Forstall?

Eddy Cue should be the next CEO.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I think that is really a mean thing to do - to fire someone just because a product didn't turn out perfectly.

You gonna fire everybody that makes a mistake? That would leave no one to make your shiny Apple products.

Of course there might have been things going on that weren't made public. But on the face of it, it just seems unfair.

You get paid some money for the work you do. When you are higher up the ladder, you get paid an awful lot more not for the work that _you_ do, but for making sure that the work done by all your underlings is something that benefits the company. When that doesn't happen, it's clear that you didn't deserve that extra money, so you get fired. Looks absolutely fair to me.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I still think the thing that kills me the most is: When I had the google maps app. I never used it while in my car driving, never used it to look at landmarks or building's. I occasionally used it to see how long it would take me to get somewhere. In reality, it was really useless to me and I bought the Navigon app, and it works great.

I've been using the Apple Maps a little here and there, and I do like quite a few things in the app. It's not perfect, but it works for me. Now, if google brings out an awesome app, like they have on Android, then Apple should be ashamed........

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well if that's the case, I'm VERY happy that Apple didn't acquiesce to Google's demands.

Except that's not at all what Google asked for. Google asked for more prominent branding in the app (so that you'd know you were using Google Maps) and for Apple to implement Google Lattitude instead of "Find my Friends" (same kind of service).

Considering Apple already tracks you or your friends opt-in with Find my Friends, it's no different if it had been Google Lattitude, except Google would have had the metrics, not Apple. Apple didn't want to lose their advertising analytics.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Why doesn't Apple just buy Mapsco and scan all their maps and put them on there as an iOS app? The thing would be awesome, detailed, and accurate. It could save Apple alot of time and trouble too.

If I want driving directions, I go to Mapquest and print them out!!!!

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
How come he was fired for a map issue which is not that big of a deal when no one was fired for the antenna issue on the iPhone 4???

There was a firing over that. Although, as the story goes, Jobs and Ive were made aware of the issue by the engineering team and went ahead with the design anyway.

Maps is a much bigger deal. I still have yet to meet anyone who had an iPhone 4 and had any antenna issue.

Because that would mean Jobs and Ive would have to go. :rolleyes:/

lol.....

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think that is really a mean thing to do - to fire someone just because a product didn't turn out perfectly.

When that product was your sole job and your task was to ensure its quality then yeah getting fired, if it really happened, sounds about right.

We don't have confirmation he was fired or that it was from the whole company. He may have merely been demoted to a different department or position

----------

Did they have to name the poor guy?

Alright, fire him, but let him go quietly so he can get a respectable job somewhere. (Not doing maps, obviously.)

Apple didn't name him. Nor have they confirmed the firing. This source could be talking BS for all we know at this point.

----------

It's because it's pulling data from Yelp, which many (if not most) businesses don't care to update.

Apple should be pulling their data from Foursquare,

Assuming foursquare would let them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.