Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
IRL22
macrumors newbie

Amazon Instant Video

Hi
I know that the amazon video app for the ipad will not let you airplay to your tv. Can I airplay my macbook pro to the tv to watch instant video? If not, would jailbreaking apple tv allow me to watch amazon instant video? Thanks for the help.
IRL22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Nickerbocker
macrumors regular

If you have a Mac running Mountain Lion with AirPlay Mirroring support (only the most recent Macs support this feature), then you can mirror stream the video to your TV.

If your ATV is jailbreakable and you can install XBMC then you might be able to get this Amazon Prime Instant Watch plug-in to work:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108124
Nickerbocker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Nickerbocker
macrumors regular

If your Mac doesn't support AirPlay Mirroring (or if you don't want to install Mountain Lion for whatever reason) there is also AirParrot which is essentially the same but was made by a 3rd party.

I wasn't particularly impressed with AirParrot tbh. On my mid-2009 MBP I found AirParrot to be laggy and the audio/video didn't always sync right. Your results may be different though.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:35 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerbocker View Post
If your Mac doesn't support AirPlay Mirroring (or if you don't want to install Mountain Lion for whatever reason) there is also AirParrot which is essentially the same but was made by a 3rd party.

I wasn't particularly impressed with AirParrot tbh. On my mid-2009 MBP I found AirParrot to be laggy and the audio/video didn't always sync right. Your results may be different though.
Just to be clear, AirParrot and AirPlay Mirroring are really different. AirPlay transcode to h.264 is accomplished through a special chip, while AirParrot is a software approach. The reason AirParrot, does not yield as good of results (most noticable with movies and gaming) is that it requires a huge amount of CPU to accomplish it's transcoding task. So much in fact, that if you have enough for it to transcode smoothly, you probably already have a new enough Mac to be able to AirPlay.

As always, mileage will vary, so it is a good idea to download the free trial and try it in your particular situation. And really challenge it with the hardest material you are interested in viewing. If it meets your needs...buy it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Nickerbocker
macrumors regular

By "essentially the same" I meant that the outcome was essentially the same .
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

APPLE TV JAILBROKEN AND AMAZON PLUGIN FTW. I JB for Amazon, and now I use Icefilms more than AMAZON because of the better quality.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #7
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

I use AirParrot on my 2009 MBP (17 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). It can be somewhat laggy, but works well enough for my purposes.

I also have a jailbroken Apple TV 2, with XBMC and the Amazon Instant Video plugin working. I don't use it often (I prefer netflix, and only have Prime for the shipping benefits), but I have tested it on some episodes of Cheers. So I can confirm that is a viable option as well.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater