Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi. I have a nice little setup at home whereby I have a 2011 iMac. ATV2 and two recent iPhones all working together wirelessly on a non-apple router. I don't use wired connections in my setup.

Two things that annoys me are:
1. having to switch on the mac to stream the iTunes library to the ATV.
2. Having to tell the ATV to never sleep so the airplay icon never disappears from the wife's phone

From googling it appears that this is because airplay uses wake on demand via the bonjour protocol whereby bonjour remembers every device on the network and can wake it from sleep when it is needed. It also appears that apple routers are the only commonly used routers that support this.

My questions are as follows:
1. I need to keep my ISPs router connected to the phone line as the primary device, so can I just connect the airport to my router via ethernet and disable the wifi on my ISP router? The apple knowledge base document says the airport must be the main router on the network for wake on demand to work
2. If I get an airport express base station and I set the ATV to sleep will the icon for airplay stay on my wife's phone (obviously so long as she stays on the wifi network)
3. Will the iMac wake up from sleep when I choose 'computers' from the ATV menu?
4. Will an airport express suffice or will I need an extreme? There are no more than 10 devices on the network
5. I've got my ATV and a few other devices on static ips. If I have an airport is it easy to maintain this setup?
6. I'm planning on getting a wireless AirPrint enabled printer. If it is sleeping will I be able to print ok from an iPhone/pad?

Thanks

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
1 - Is perfectly acceptable - I have a similar config at home.

2 - Just had a quick test with my ATV set to sleep and I can't see the AirPlay icon on the iPhone. I however was able to wake the ATV via the AirPlay feature on my MBP.

3 - My ATV is in the other room and I'm too lazy to go check that for you - sorry. :)

4 - I got the Extreme as I wanted the extra gigabit ports - if you don't need them then you should be fine.

5. Yes, you can assign static IP's via DHCP in the Airport Utility. I do this to my NAS and MBP.

6. I don't know.

Hope that helps.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
1 - Is perfectly acceptable - I have a similar config at home.

2 - Just had a quick test with my ATV set to sleep and I can't see the AirPlay icon on the iPhone. I however was able to wake the ATV via the AirPlay feature on my MBP.

3 - My ATV is in the other room and I'm too lazy to go check that for you - sorry. :)

4 - I got the Extreme as I wanted the extra gigabit ports - if you don't need them then you should be fine.

5. Yes, you can assign static IP's via DHCP in the Airport Utility. I do this to my NAS and MBP.

6. I don't know.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I can help out with #6. Yes you will. I print from my iPhone and iPad using AirPrint just fine, and I hardly ever print so the printer's always been asleep every time I've printed.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
#2 strikes me as odd - I'm not doubting what I have been told here, I just expected the icon to appear at all times

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I've just done another test and the airplay icon is visible regardless of the ATV being awake or asleep. I think it failed earlier because I didn't have a good wifi signal.

Jimpats

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
One has to be on the wifi network for the AirPlay icon to be visible. You can test it by disabling and enabling Wifi on your phone or iPad and checking for AirPlay icon.

----------

Also starting the Apple app "Remote" brings ATV out of the sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.